Brewer Fanatic

Francisco Lindor & Carlos Carrasco Traded to Mets

Eye Black

Per Jeff Passan:

The New York Mets are deep into talks on a deal to acquire Francisco Lindor from the Cleveland Indians, sources tell ESPN.

If the Francisco Lindor-to-the-Mets deal is completed as expected, shortstop Andres Gimenez would be part of the package going back to the Cleveland Indians, sources tell ESPN.

EDIT: Jon Morosi reports the deal is complete.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Ken Rosenthal:

Mets close to getting Lindor from Indians, sources confirm to The Athletic. Right-hander Josh Wolf, Mets’ second-round pick in 2019, is one of players who would go back to Cleveland. Andres Gimenez also in deal, per Jeff Passan.

Per Mark Feinsand:

So the Mets will be getting Francisco Lindor and Carlos Carrasco from the Indians, per source. That's quite a day.

The deal so far according to a Passan follow-up...

(EDITED to include Amed Rosario)

Mets receive: SS Francisco Lindor and RHP Carlos Carrasco

Cleveland receives: SS Andres Gimenez, RHP Josh Wolf, OF Isaiah Greene, SS Amed Rosario

That feels like a light return for Lindor.

It's now being reported that Amed Rosario is also going to Cleveland.

Seems fair to speculate with both of their potential future shortstops being traded away in this deal the Indians are planning to sign Lindor to a long term contract.

Come on Mets... go after Hader now.

Do they have a decent farm?

I'm assuming they would have given up their better players for Lindor, what's left?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

BTW - Removing Lindor & Carrasco from the payroll drops the remaining 2021 payroll to 35-40M range

I'll state the obvious, but the amount of suitors willing to take on the financial commitment here was probably quite limited. For the Mets it makes more sense than most because they are likely in a position to now offer Lindor a significant long term deal. It certainly seems like there aren't a lot of teams willing to take on large financial commitments at the moment, but the ownership groups willing to do so are very well positioned in this market.

They are getting 2 years of control of Lindor at no financial discount unless Cleveland in throwing money in. Carrasco isn't expensive but isn't cheap either and his contract goes until he's 36. If the Mets are taking on all the money from both contracts it's not surprising the return in light.

They are getting 2 years of control of Lindor at no financial discount unless Cleveland in throwing money in.

Lindor is currently set to become a free agent next November.

Yep, right before a season that probably has a good chance of a 2022 strike/lockout - there are plenty of reasons the return for Lindor (or any marquee player set to become a free agent next offseason that will be looking for a huge deal) to be light this offseason.

Come on Mets... go after Hader now.

Do they have a decent farm?

I'm assuming they would have given up their better players for Lindor, what's left?

The prospects they gave up were rated #9/#10 on the Mets Top 10 by MLB.com so they still have most of their premium prospects.

Then again, none of the Mets top seven guys have played above A ball so they might not line up the best if the Brewers are hoping to get MLB ready pieces back for Hader.

The main guys in the deal Rosario & Gimenez have both been highly rated prospects in the past. Rosario was consensus Top 10 before 2017 while Gimenez peaked around the 30-50 range pre-2019. Looks like Rosario has three years of control left while Gimenez has five.

If Cleveland would like to dump Jose Ramirez, we should be interested.

Ramirez (143 OPS+/5.7 WAR) and Lindor (122 OPS+/5.8 WAR) project about the same for 2021.

Jose's contract is essentially for 3/33 versus 1/20 for Francisco, so I don't think Cleveland will have much interest in dumping Ramirez. His final option year in 2023 is still only 13 million.

They are getting 2 years of control of Lindor at no financial discount unless Cleveland in throwing money in.

Lindor is currently set to become a free agent next November.

Bref said 2022 for earliest free agency so I took that as after the 2022 season but even more reason for a light return if it's only one year. With Carassco's age it's likely this trade only provides any sort of positive return in 2021 for the Mets.

BTW - Removing Lindor & Carrasco from the payroll drops the remaining 2021 payroll to 35-40M range

And their top two highest paid players (Ramirez & Perez) could be gone next year. They're only committed to $2,000,000 in salary in 2022, and that's Ramirez's buyout.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

You simply aren’t going to get a big return when a guy is a rental or in Carrasco’s case a two year deal for a really old player. Next year the remount of revenue is going to be poor to dreadful. Those big contracts are a huge detriment to value under current circumstances.

Lindor is top, top value but has minimal surplus value IMO. Only one year of control left with a big, big arbitration number....and even if they tried to get a bidding war going, the big market teams were going to low-ball them because they know it's either take one of our packages as a return or get left with one compensation pick (which would be similar to what Stearns gave up to get Alex Claudio).

If I'm an Indian's fan, I'd be kind of glad that the Lindor thing is over and they got a pretty good shortstop prospect they can stick in there right away.

However, I would not be happy that they got rid of Carrasco. I agree with the idea that age is a consideration. But Carrasco showed pretty well last year. Really the reason I hate it is because how their rotation stacks up. Bieber is a stud and Plesac has looked good so far...not really convince with Civale but time will tell. Have to wonder if they are just going to throw McKenzie, Allen, Quantrill right in there and sink-or-swim. I would have preferred to keep the veteran around for one more year...but at least for Cleveland fans it will be exciting to see all those young guys in there. There is always a chance that maybe I think too much of Carrasco because it seems like he really puts a real beat-down on Milwaukee whenever he pitches against them. Couldn't help but look up the numbers and in 3 starts the Brewers have a .244/.286/.269/.555 slash line against him.

Archived