Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Pablo Reyes to minor league contract

markedman5

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the deal includes an invitation to major league spring training.

pablo reyes appears to have two minor league options remaining. he has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

the brewers have four non-roster players invited to cactus league camp.

Mets make a blockbuster trade and we sign a FA who was suspended for 80 games. This is the life of being a Brewer fan.

Over the last four seasons the Brewers have spent about 350 million on payroll & won 300 games. The Mets have spent about 530 million on payroll & won 259 games. That is the life of being a Mets fan.

Mets make a blockbuster trade and we sign a FA who was suspended for 80 games. This is the life of being a Brewer fan.

This reminds me of when Packers season is over, two days later all practice squad players are signed to futures contracts (a completely procedural move), yet the packers will officially announce it on facebook, twitter, etc. It just leads to fifty comments saying "Hur dur, why don't we sign real free agents?" or "Who is that guy?" or "Why don't we fire (head coach, GM, defensive coordinator, etc) instead?"

This reminds me of when Packers season is over, two days later all practice squad players are signed to futures contracts (a completely procedural move), yet the packers will officially announce it on facebook, twitter, etc. It just leads to fifty comments saying "Hur dur, why don't we sign real free agents?" or "Who is that guy?" or "Why don't we fire (head coach, GM, defensive coordinator, etc) instead?"

While Brewers fans aren't in the same ballpark of being spoiled brats, they are well on their way. I get that we all want to see a World Series winner here but how anyone can be so down on this organization considering how successful they've been is just nuts to me.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Correct ... and those are always extremely juvenile, ill-thought-out arguments put out by people who just want to complain.

We'll see how spending big works out for the Mets, but the last time I remember someone buying a team and immediately spending big was when the "Magic Johnson group" bought the Dodgers. They took on a bunch of big-named guys with big contracts, and that didn't work for them. They became a dominant franchise when they hired a GM who understood that maintaining a strong farm and building from within was important for everyone... even teams with deep pockets.

The Mets want to prove they can spend with the big boys. They just got a great shortstop for one year. He, Conforto, Familia, Syndergaard, and Matz will be free agents after the season. They will probably try extend Lindor and sign Springer to a monster contract, and they already signed McCann.

It would be fun as a Mets fan to see the team "trying to win," but do they have enough young talent to complement these big contracts? I could see them getting very "top heavy" and having to fill out the roster with sub-par players since they don't have much of a farm. They're coming off a low (for a big market) payroll, so they have a lot of money to spend to get them up to the luxury tax threshold, but once there they won't be able to spend like this in future years. Teams that are winning consistently in today's world are ones that have a lot of young, pre-arby talent, not ones who try to buy a championship through free agency and "blockbuster trades" for one-year players.

Cohen wants to impress his friends and show the world he's a "player." I may be wrong, but I'd guess that a few years from now he'll realize that the current Dodgers model is the better way to go.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Unfortunately baseball has no salary cap and big money teams have a monstrous advantage over smaller market teams. That's a fact of life, you have to accept that as a Brewer fan. You know that the team will not spend like the Dodgers, cubs, Padres, Yankees, Mets, etc.... You hope they can find a gem or two in the scrap heap, occasionally make a big trade or FA signing, and develop the younger players until they become too expensive to keep. Thats the fun of being a Brewer fan. Watch them challange the big spenders and hopefully make the playoffs. Then who knows?

i expect reyes to get a lot of playing time early on in arizona (assuming games are nine innings). we already know that class a and class aa seasons are starting later--presumably to stagger the masses of players at each club's complex over spring training. there just isn't going to a huge pool of lower-level prospects to bring over from minor league camp to play in the final innings of each spring training game.

I am well aware of life as a brewer fan and what is going on comparing the Money teams to the Non Money teams. It will not change like most know without a Salary Cap.The fun is winning a WS finally. I will continue to hope to squeeze into a playoff spot and have a Miracle getting us into the WS.

No matter what else happens, these depth signings need to happen and I'd be more concerned if the Brewers weren't doing any of those kind of moves, either. If Pablo Reyes pans out -- and I hope he does -- then great. If he's pretty blah, oh well, and we just hope that occurs at AAA rather than in MIL -- and if it happened in MIL, it'd mean a multi-layered injury situation that's getting close to rivaling the Vikings' 2020 cornerback situation.

The Mets pulling off a major trade the same day the Brewers sign an AAA/depth guy is mere coincidence and doesn't prove anything.

If we pull off a significant move (though I have a hard time imagining right now who/how that might be) and the Mets don't make any moves with a day or so either direction of it, would that prove the same concept in reverse -- or are we as Brewers fans just conditioned to ignore those moments? If the Mets didn't make a move in the same 24-hour period we traded for Yelich & signed Cain, should they have been labeled failures?

I don't care much for slow offseasons or winters when so much of the player movement seems extremely delayed. It's disappointing when it's another day & we don't see a major or seemingly meaningful move made. But I'm far more concerned about a winning, playoff-bound season than "winning" the offseason, and I'll take a good move or a non-move over a bad move anyday..... Take Cincinnati last year. Moustakas, Gray, Castellanos, Miley, etc. They sure spent tons more money than we did. Yet with most every Brewers batter grossly underperforming their career norms (to put it lightly), they won all of 2 more games than we did -- and now they've already started dismantling last year's team.

Fa is the Most Frustrating thing for Brewer fans imo. I do agree 5 playoff apperances in 12 years for this Franchise should make the Fan Base Happy.

Which brings me back to my earlier point. If you go into every offseason expecting a large free agent signing, the Brewers are most definitely not the right team for you to put your energy behind. I suspect that even if payroll wasn't tight, they still wouldn't be going out and spending "stupid" money on free agents. That's just the way this front office operates. They are all about value as it relates to performance, and there just aren't many high-end free agents out there who are going to provide that proper bang for the buck. Fortunately there are several teams who spend money is stupid ways, and for the most part, that doesn't work out.

I'd guess Attanasio is still willing to go all-in for the right guy at the right time. But even if that guy is sitting on the Brewers' doorstep, it doesn't change the fact that the majority of the time the Brewers still have to rely on the draft/development model (which clearly needs to be more successful) and make shrewd/good-value trades & FA signings.

The recent offseasons' signings of Cain, Moustakas, & Grandal weren't the types of moves we used to see here hardly ever from the mid-'90s through 2007 (until we finally broke the 26-year postseason drought). They weren't all the #1 most-glitzy signings of those offseasons, but they were still a good combination of right player/right timing.

When C.C. Sabathia, Zack Greinke, & Prince Fielder all left, the Brewers (in very non-Brewers like fashion) were offering huge money to those guys -- unfortunately just not enough money/term to finish higher than #2 for those guys' services. Those efforts showed the Brewers weren't above "going all-in" on the right guy at the right time.

Parenthetically, Sabathia & Greinke, it turns out, would've amounted to good signings, with performances overall quite in line with their contracts. And no one could've foreseen Fielder's injuries that ended his career prematurely, but at least it's not the Brewers that are on the hook for paying him all the way to that contract's distant end!

Even the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and other large market teams don't make a big FA splash every year.

Yankees 2017 looks a lot like the Brewers 2020 signings:

Adam Lind

CC Sabathia

Neil Walker

Jace Peterson

Wade LeBlanc

Danny Espinosa

This was the Dodgers 2017:

Chase Utley

Tom Koehler

Travis Taijeron

This was the Cubs 2016 looks similar to the Brewers 2020 signings:

Brett Anderson

Gerardo Concepcio

Brian Duensing

Jon Jay

Munenori Kawasaki

Zac Rosscup

Koji Uehara

You can't spend big every year. I get it everyone wants to see the Brewers pick up someone good every off season but it is just not possible even if you are a large market team. There are going to be lean years in free agency where the finances just don't match up or the team is just not in a spot to spend. Players like Reyes are signed by everyone in MLB not just the Brewers and I doubt this will be the Brewers big signing this off season. Will they get someone big no but they will get someone like a Brett Anderson or a Neil Walker type which is fine. The Brewers actually made back to back big signings with Cain and then Moustakas and Grandal that was a once in awhile thing for the Brewers. I wouldn't be surprised this year if someone like Semien falls to the Brewers for a one year deal like Grandal and Moustakas did.

I always took Mark A at his word that if there a player out there and he could get hi he would. This season i think the brewers can win the NL central but can't see them getting yo the WS. they have too many holes and Grabbing a bunch of so call reclamation guys like we did last year not going to get it done. I hope the Brewers will have another nice draft so they can build up the farm because that the only way to build this team.I have also come to the conclusion that the Crew will have to move Hader in the not to distance future to build up that farm system.I hope that the Brewers can get at least one more starter from their system to tam with Woodruff and Corbin.

alfredo figaro and dontrelle willis are telling pablo reyes that if this thread had been posted in the minor league forum, forum members would be more likely to be discussing the value of pablo reyes instead of overall organization strategy.

reyes is countering that he has an invitation to big league camp and deserves to be in the major league forum, and they keep consoling him, "we know how you feel, pablo . . . trust us, we know . . ."

I always took Mark A at his word that if there a player out there and he could get hi he would. This season i think the brewers can win the NL central but can't see them getting yo the WS. they have too many holes and Grabbing a bunch of so call reclamation guys like we did last year not going to get it done. I hope the Brewers will have another nice draft so they can build up the farm because that the only way to build this team.I have also come to the conclusion that the Crew will have to move Hader in the not to distance future to build up that farm system.I hope that the Brewers can get at least one more starter from their system to tam with Woodruff and Corbin.

Gyorko was the only "reclamation project" type signing last year (and he ended up being good). Every other signing was coming off either their career-best or close to career-best year. The idea that that Brewers filled their roster with a bunch of reclamation projects last season has simply turned into a much larger assumption than it actually was.

You are beating this to death, but when you really look at it, you simply are not correct.

Gyorko was the only "reclamation project" type signing last year (and he ended up being good). Every other signing was coming off either their career-best or close to career-best year. The idea that that Brewers filled their roster with a bunch of reclamation projects last season has simply turned into a much larger assumption than it actually was.

You are beating this to death, but when you really look at it, you simply are not correct.

What do you consider Logan Morrison, Justin Smoak, Josh Lindblom, Justin Grimm and Mike Morin, if not reclamation projects? Including Gyorko, that's 20% of the active roster.