Brewer Fanatic

Filling Out the Roster

I mentioned it earlier this offseason, but it’s worth a mention again. I have no issue with the Brewers taking a step back this season if the payroll is going to be slashed extensively. Get all that dead money from Sogard, Braun, Garza, and Gyorko, get Garcia’s contract off the books, so you have all that extra funds to be spent in 2022. Look to trade Hader for young players with 4+ years of control and/or prospects. Maybe even move someone like Woodruff if someone blows you away with an offer. Also gives time for the collection of arms the Brewers have at AAA to develop and get their feet wet this season. Clearing those 4 players with dead money, Garcia, and Hader would free up ~$25 million.

If we plan to do that, then just tell the fan base that is the deal...

I think this team could be close to something special, but no 1B and no 3B 3 weeks away from spring traing is maddening. I don't view this team as it sits to be in teardown mode, but if that is what they are thinking, then just freaking do it already.

Yelich would be wasted in that scenario, so maybe the smart thing to do is dump him too... I have never been on board with this line of thinking, but geez.

Everything is contingent upon value. If the value is there (a la the Moose and Grandal signings a couple years ago) then I think Stearns and Attanasio will spend the money to "go for it." However, they aren't going to just say up front "We are going to spend, spend, spend no matter what." Similarly, if the value ISN'T there, I think they are comfortable saving their money for better deals next year--or adding contracts at the trade deadline that might become available. Similarly, maybe they will "tear it down" if they get blown away by an offer for Woodruff/Hiura/etc. But they aren't actively shopping those guys.

This has been Stearns' MO the whole time. Spend money if the value is there and it makes sense, but don't spend recklessly (Turner is not getting a 3+ year contract).

You’re sure of that on Turner huh?

Idk about that.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting off Twitter would save many meltdowns from some of you...

Agreed. After seeing an article on Reviewing the Brew today (https://reviewingthebrew.com/2021/01/30/jose-ramirez-available-brewers-need-trade/) I went looking for the tweet. This is what I found:

MLB Marathon

#Indians are listening to offers for 3B Jose Ramirez. #MLB

Unfortunately, the article author (& many others) did not read the 2nd & 3rd follow up tweets from the same person/ twitter account (copied here -MT88)

MLB Marathon

By the off chance the #Indians go from listening, to actually shopping Ramirez, the return will be much more than what the #Rockies are reportedly getting from the #STLCards. #Dodgers, #Braves, #Brewers would be the most logical destinations. #MLB

&

MLB Marathon

And no, it would not make any sense whatsoever for the #Indians to deal JRam unless they receive a kings ransom. They are listening yes, but not inclined as of yet. #MLB

-------------------------------------------

Personally I wish the 1st & 3rd tweets went out as a single item (there appears to have been space to do so). Oh well..

This is very similar to the Hader situation for MKE. Stearns is listening to offers if they come in, but that is not the same as him calling Tampa or another team & asking for 3-4-5 different assets in trade for Hader..

Arenado had 200 million remaining on his deal. Ramirez has 9 million + a 2 million buyout...but if the buyout is not exercised then it's a 3 year, 33 million dollar commitment. Unlike Arenado, this is a super bargain deal with further insurance that a team can walk away if he suffers a catastrophic injury during the 2021 season.

If one pro-rates 2020 to a full season, Ramirez has posted an average seasonal bWAR/fWAR of 6.4 from 2018-2020. It's very safe to project him as a being worth 14 WAR over the next three season. I'd put his surplus value at +93 million. The BaseballTradeValues site has it at +72.8 million. If one were to split the difference, that's +82.9 million.

The BaseballTradeValues site has the Brewer's top 5 prospects as Turang, Mitchell, Feliciano, Perez, Garcia and has their combined surplus value being +64.9 million.

I'd list the Brewer's top 5 prospects as Turang, Mitchell, Small, Feliciano and Ashby and would put their combined surplus value at +71.4 million.

When that author at Reviewing The Brew says the Brewers need to trade for Ramirez, he either better be willing to give up most of the minor league system OR start with Corbin Burnes and then figure what he needs to add on top of that. Ramirez carries a huge premium. 6.4 bWAR/fWAR over the previous three seasons. Just for some perspective, Christian Yelich has averaged a 5.8 bWAR/fWAR over the same time-frame.

Arenado had 200 million remaining on his deal. Ramirez has 9 million + a 2 million buyout...but if the buyout is not exercised then it's a 3 year, 33 million dollar commitment. Unlike Arenado, this is a super bargain deal with further insurance that a team can walk away if he suffers a catastrophic injury during the 2021 season.

If one pro-rates 2020 to a full season, Ramirez has posted an average seasonal bWAR/fWAR of 6.4 from 2018-2020. It's very safe to project him as a being worth 14 WAR over the next three season. I'd put his surplus value at +93 million. The BaseballTradeValues site has it at +72.8 million. If one were to split the difference, that's +82.9 million.

The BaseballTradeValues site has the Brewer's top 5 prospects as Turang, Mitchell, Feliciano, Perez, Garcia and has their combined surplus value being +64.9 million.

I'd list the Brewer's top 5 prospects as Turang, Mitchell, Small, Feliciano and Ashby and would put their combined surplus value at +71.4 million.

When that author at Reviewing The Brew says the Brewers need to trade for Ramirez, he either better be willing to give up most of the minor league system OR start with Corbin Burnes and then figure what he needs to add on top of that. Ramirez carries a huge premium. 6.4 bWAR/fWAR over the previous three seasons. Just for some perspective, Christian Yelich has averaged a 5.8 bWAR/fWAR over the same time-frame.

If Brewers fans read just one thing about the possibility of Jose Ramirez, I hope it’s this post. It seems like the Reviewing the Brew authors did a disservice to Brewers fans yesterday by making it seem realistic the Brewers could acquire Ramirez with a couple of prospects and Corey Ray. It wasn’t close to reality, but now that expectation has been set for many.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

It’s now February 1st, I very much expect the Brewers to do something this week. 16 days now until Pitchers and Catchers report, at this point every pitcher might have a personal catcher! Would be extremely disappointed in the organization if multiple moves aren’t completed within the next 7 days. Figure it out Stearns and Company.

It’s now February 1st, I very much expect the Brewers to do something this week. 16 days now until Pitchers and Catchers report, at this point every pitcher might have a personal catcher! Would be extremely disappointed in the organization if multiple moves aren’t completed within the next 7 days. Figure it out Stearns and Company.

I think we will get a couple moves this week. Probably sign a couple infielders like Jedd Gyorko and Greg Garcia.

I think we will get a couple moves this week. Probably sign a couple infielders like Jedd Gyorko and Greg Garcia.

I get Gyorko, but why Garcia? I don't see anything in his numbers that indicates he isn't anything other than another perhaps less versatile Jace Peterson.

I get Gyorko, but why Garcia? I don't see anything in his numbers that indicates he isn't anything other than another perhaps less versatile Jace Peterson.

I'm not a fan of Garcia at all, but I could see the Brewers signing him for these reasons-

1) Plenty of veteran grit

2) Lefty bat that could platoon at 3B with Gyorko (if signed) if Urias continues to not hit

3) Solid late inning defensive replacement for Hiura at 2B

4) .337 MLB OBP since the beginning of 2018

5) Most importantly, is a warm body who will be dirt cheap

If the league's proposal for 154 game schedule and the universal DH is approved, assuming they don't land Turner, I'd go with Lamb to fill LH 3B part of platoon and Cron to be primary 1B with Vogelbach filling DH role. Lamb and Cron together shouldn't cost more than about $9 million.

At this point, I'd like to see Renato Nunez and Maikel Franco brought in as our 1st and 3rd basemen. Both have had some MLB success, are 27 and 28 years old, and hit LHP and RHP fairly well. Have decent power, but below average OBP skills.

Then find someone that hits LHP well, like Ryan Braun, to be our 4th OF/DH vs. LHP.

I also would love to get another decent starting option, still some decent options out there, Chris Archer or James Paxton would be great. But thinking someone along the lines of Brett Anderson is more likely.

At this point, I'd like to see Renato Nunez and Maikel Franco brought in as our 1st and 3rd basemen. Both have had some MLB success, are 27 and 28 years old, and hit LHP and RHP fairly well. Have decent power, but below average OBP skills.

Then find someone that hits LHP well, like Ryan Braun, to be our 4th OF/DH vs. LHP.

I also would love to get another decent starting option, still some decent options out there, Chris Archer or James Paxton would be great. But thinking someone along the lines of Brett Anderson is more likely.

I could definitely live with getting Nunez, Franco and Paxton to fill out the roster. Would it be the most ideal offseason ever? No, but it would be solid.

Is Renato Nunez a FA or are you proposing a trade? Everything I see says he’s still an under contract Oriole.

Nunez was non-tendered.

I don't know if a Nunez/Franco combo is necessarily ideal, but it would be much more exciting than the Eric Sogard/Brock Holt/Justin Smoak combo from last year, simply because we're talking about younger players that still have some theoretical upside.

Filling out the lineup with Nunez, Franco, and Braun to compliment Vogelbach, Robertson, and Garcia at 1B, 3B, OF, and DH would provide some insurance in case Vogelbach/Robertson don't work out:

2018-20 vs. RHP:

aGpU42Y.png

2018-20 vs. LHP:

f23SNjl.png

But I'd prefer Cron over Franco if possible, and Cabrera could be another possibility similar to Nunez:

2018-20 vs. RHP:

YafBUgG.png

2018-20 vs. LHP:

DexCfJk.png

Excellent post, Mr. Allen! I think Cron should be a priority, especially since it looks like we might be headed toward extending the NL DH in 2021, making it much easier to carry two 1B/DH types.

We need another lefty power bat in our lineup... Mitch Moreland would do well at the AmFam Clam, he at least gets on base at a good clip.

Add Moreland to play 1B and Gyorko to play 3B, be done with it and hope the guys who struggled in 2020 but suck in 2021... Since I doubt we have the money for Turner.

We need another lefty power bat in our lineup... Mitch Moreland would do well at the AmFam Clam, he at least gets on base at a good clip.

Add Moreland to play 1B and Gyorko to play 3B, be done with it and hope the guys who struggled in 2020 but suck in 2021... Since I doubt we have the money for Turner.

I'm good going that route as well. Especially if there's a DH coming. If not, it could still make sense if management doesn't think Vogelbach can actually play 1st and decide to drop him.

2018-20 vs. RHP:

aWJuzIr.png

2018-20 vs. LHP:

Wjx96qf.png

If you can throw Braun on top of that to cover DH vs. lefties (if the DH is indeed added), you're looking pretty good.

For all the "sky is falling" comments lately, there seems to be quite a few players left that can make this lineup manageable still. These possibilities aren't going to light the world on fire, but we're a small market team the year after a global pandemic wiped out huge sources of revenue. Luckily we're in a division where these kind of moves could still keep us competitive for a playoff spot.

If Gyorko is mad that we non-tendered him, then I'll gladly take Asdrubal Cabrera to play 3B, switch hitter so he can play everyday... Move Cabrera to 1B against lefty and Robertson can play 3B.

If Gyorko is mad that we non-tendered him, then I'll gladly take Asdrubal Cabrera to play 3B, switch hitter so he can play everyday... Move Cabrera to 1B against lefty and Robertson can play 3B.

They didn't non-tender Gyorko, they just didn't exercise the team option on his contract. Judging by the lack of activity on him, I doubt many teams are beating down the door to sign him, despite his solid showing with the Brewers last year. I imagine that he's still under consideration for the Brewers.

They didn't non-tender Gyorko, they just didn't exercise the team option on his contract. Judging by the lack of activity on him, I doubt many teams are beating down the door to sign him, despite his solid showing with the Brewers last year. I imagine that he's still under consideration for the Brewers.

Oh ok thanks, I must have been thinking of someone else.

Alright I'm gonna forget about Turner since that likely isnt happening... Give me Moreland and Gyorko, maybe add someone like Mike Leake or Rick Porcello, if not I'm good with Lauer still in the rotation.

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Moreland

Gyorko

Garcia

Narvaez

Urias

Woodruff

Burnes

Houser

Lindblom

FA or Lauer

Make the additions above, rebounds from Yelich, Hiura (neither are as bad as we saw in 2020) and the bullpen we have... We can definitely complete with the Cards, Cubs for division title!

Oh ok thanks, I must have been thinking of someone else.

Are you thinking of Ben Gamel? They non-tendered him.

Archived