Brewer Fanatic

Filling Out the Roster

Correct. While I want to see how the Brewers end up filling out their roster, there just isn't a lot out there to get THAT excited about. This team is destined to scrum it out with the rest of the measly NL Central this season. I'm sure Stearns will figure out a good way to have this team competitive in that regard.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MrAllen, thanks for the information provided.

Are there any realistic trade options for the corner infield spots that have performed better than those free agent options? Thinking along the lines of guys like Mark Canha or the switch-hitting Eduardo Escobar (Dbacks would have to eat some money for it to make sense).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Are there any realistic trade options for the corner infield spots that have performed better than those free agent options? Thinking along the lines of guys like Mark Canha or the switch-hitting Eduardo Escobar (Dbacks would have to eat some money for it to make sense).

I still think the Rays would be a realistic trade partner. They have an over abundance of infielders and I believe guys like Wendle or Brosseau or Diaz could be had at a decent price.

I still think the Rays would be a realistic trade partner. They have an over abundance of infielders and I believe guys like Wendle or Brosseau or Diaz could be had at a decent price.

Brosseau would be a fantastic trade target if the Rays would engage in discussion, I think he’s got a continued breakout in front of him.

We better hurry the hell up with Turner... Cardinals are talking to acquire Arenado.

Rosenthal’s article is sort of all over the place in terms of how likely this move is to happening. Here’s an excerpt from the article:

The Cardinals are in discussions with the Rockies about a deal that would bring the five-time All-Star third baseman to St. Louis, according to major-league sources. No deal appears close, and the other players who might be involved are not known.

Arenado, 29, likely would waive his no-trade clause to join the Cardinals, and perhaps agree to push back his right to opt out after the 2021 season. The Rockies, to escape his $199 million guarantee over the next six seasons, almost certainly would absorb at least one high-priced veteran from the Cardinals while also receiving prospects in the deal.

League sources offered varied assessments of where the talks stood Thursday night. One cautioned that a trade might not happen at all, but others believe the Rockies are motivated to move Arenado and the Cardinals are motivated to acquire him. The Braves also checked in on Arenado but made no progress toward a deal, a source said.

While Arenado disappeared against the Crew in the 2018 playoffs, I have no doubt that the Cardinal devil magic will turn him into a Brewer killer. The idea of Goldschmidt-Arenado 3-4 in StL is depressing me.

Seems like one of the teams the Brewers are competing with for adding “another bat” is the Braves. The Braves have at least checked in with the Orioles on Trey Mancini per reports earlier this week. Mancini is now reportedly healthy and has defensive flexibility since he is able to play corner outfield and first base. I hope the Brewers have checked in on the Mancini trade market, especially since Orioles GM Mike Elias used to work with Stearns in Houston (Elias was promoted to Stearns’ vacated position as Asst. GM of the Astros in 2016).

It’s hard to believe we could get Turner out of LA. He loves it there and they know it. Ozuna seems to want a big financial commitment which makes it tough.

Maybe they move into the CJ Cron-Jed Gyorko zone or possibly pull

a trade off....

Hopefully they are learning the lesson to be sure to get legit 3b and 1b prospects into development.

It’s January 30th tomorrow. Still a few quality guys left but most appear to be out of the Crew’s price. Possible this season is a reset/mini rebuild? Not seeing this team compete for a division let alone pennant.

I’m not sure if we’re legitimately trying to compete or if we’re planning a rebuild. I honestly have no clue what we’re doing here.

It’s January 30th tomorrow. Still a few quality guys left but most appear to be out of the Crew’s price. Possible this season is a reset/mini rebuild? Not seeing this team compete for a division let alone pennant.

There are years where I can get behind a mini rebuild, but this year’s team is projected to have maybe the best pitching staff they’ve had in a decade. When you take both starters and bullpen into consideration, this could be a top 5 collection of pitchers in baseball. They need to find a couple of quality bats and make a run at this thing, in my opinion. At this point a trade or two is probably their best bet.

There are years where I can get behind a mini rebuild, but this year’s team is projected to have maybe the best pitching staff they’ve had in a decade. When you take both starters and bullpen into consideration, this could be a top 5 collection of pitchers in baseball. They need to find a couple of quality bats and make a run at this thing, in my opinion. At this point a trade or two is probably their best bet.

Until Turner is gone there's hope. I'm sure most would feel fairly set by his signing.

This is so disappointing, what a joke of an offseason... Cards get Nolan for nothing and we’re just sitting here signing minor league depth players.

Christ just trade Hader, Yelich, Hiura, Woodruff and Burnes.

Until Turner is gone there's hope. I'm sure most would feel fairly set by his signing.

Turner isnt coming here, Dodgers missed out on Nolan they’ll just resign Turner now.

well the cards have moved to the top of the Central with this move. I really can't see the Brewers being in the playoff hunt. They really need to add someone bigger than who they already signed.The Brewers doing dumpster diving is not going to make this team a playoff team.

This is so disappointing, what a joke of an offseason... Cards get Nolan for nothing and we’re just sitting here signing minor league depth players.

I won’t go that far yet but I hear what you’re saying. If you’re not going to surround those guys with some quality players (particularly on the offensive side), then maybe it’s time for a mini rebuild. We seem to be stuck trying to decide if we should go for it or not.

Trading for Nolan Arenado, or trading away Hader, Yeich, Hiura, Woodruff and Burnes. Clearly the only two options.

So when we trading for Trevor Story?

I just did that on RBI Baseball on my son's Switch yesterday. Signed Trevor Bauer as well, and traded for Trey Mancini. The moves worked on the game, so they'll work in real life, too, right? That seems to be how the minds of a lot of fans operate.

I know everyone's bummed that the Brewers haven't made a splash, but this can still be a solid, fun team to watch and will very likely be very competitive in a bad NL Central. We still have a very good core with Yelich, Hiura, Woodruff, Burnes, Hader, and Williams. We have good supporting players around them in Cain, Narvaez, Garcia, Urias.

And we have some major question marks at 1st and 3rd. While it would be nice, we don't need those spots filled with Arenado or Turner, we just need to solidify them with a good role player or two. It's fun to "win" the offseason, but despite the weird, shortened, down season last year, I think this team is going to bounce back and be fun to watch again this year.

Even the Cubs have woken up from their slumber and basically replaced Schwarber with another Schwarber. Now it's been reported ownership has given the okay to make some moves and they are looking at what's left of the starting pitching. I'd be willing to bet that if Arrieta shows anything in his workout, he'll be a Cub again. If they hang on to Bryant and Contreras, they certainly can put a decent everyday lineup on the field. Brewers not so much. Reds are said to be looking at Gregorius. I don't see why the Brewers aren't looking at him too if the Reds can afford him. Last I checked they haven't solved the 3B problem and Didi could play there certainly.

I know everyone's bummed that the Brewers haven't made a splash, but this can still be a solid, fun team to watch and will very likely be very competitive in a bad NL Central. We still have a very good core with Yelich, Hiura, Woodruff, Burnes, Hader, and Williams. We have good supporting players around them in Cain, Narvaez, Garcia, Urias.

And we have some major question marks at 1st and 3rd. While it would be nice, we don't need those spots filled with Arenado or Turner, we just need to solidify them with a good role player or two. It's fun to "win" the offseason, but despite the weird, shortened, down season last year, I think this team is going to bounce back and be fun to watch again this year.

They had all those guys going into last year and were under .500. Cain opted out, but Narvaez, Garcia and Urias were simply bad. Sure one or two might bounce back but they need all of those guys to bounce back to be competitive. That's not likely to happen.

And we had most of those guys the previous two years when the team was really good. Yelich, Hiura, Narvaez, Garcia, and Urias all underperformed from their projections last year and are projected to be better this year. I don't think it's likely they'll all underperform again.

Archived