Brewer Fanatic

Filling Out the Roster

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No insider information. Just my gut telling me a move is coming. The calm before the storm.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Okay. My blood is pumping at warp speed now. I really don't care if whatever your post is in relation to, it's giving me some fun hope that something big is coming our way....hopefully soon. If only for a brief moment in time....i'll take it! Oh boy!!!

Anybody else kind of miss HighHeat around here? Even if the guy was full of crap and spitting out stupid rumors that had no legitimacy - it at least made for some excitement around here that winter! Bring back HH19!!

I sure do, gave us something to talk about at least.

Only a matter of when now. Not if, but when. Big things coming our way!

I would like to believe this, but I highly doubt it... Turner will re-sign to go after another ring, we'll fill 3B with small deal, maybe... Man this sucks, I wish we had money.

Unless the Dodgers get Bryant or Arenado. Then that would change things

It certainly makes you wonder if that might be what is slowing this down? Otherwise, I would have thought that the Dodgers would have already made him a good offer to bring him back to LA. Or, are they looking at possibly moving Seager over to 3B next year to make room for Lux at SS? It does make you wonder though if the Dodgers are stalling a bit here on JT, and might be trying to make a bigger deal that would bring them someone like Bryant or Arrenado?

Rumor is Dodgers will pivot to Bryant if they cant re-sign JT.

Come on Stearns, swoop him up first!

I have a feeling we are going to get the news soon here that JT is re-signing with LA, and the meltdown here will be intense!

If we don't get JT, what are the options out there to fill the 3B hole? Gyorko again? Did LaStella sign with SF this week? Who else is out there for us to sign?

I have a feeling we are going to get the news soon here that JT is re-signing with LA, and the meltdown here will be intense!

If we don't get JT, what are the options out there to fill the 3B hole? Gyorko again? Did LaStella sign with SF this week? Who else is out there for us to sign?

Gregorius is still available he might be an option at 3B though he probably wants to play SS which I would be fine with as I am not convinced the Brewers will keep Arcia at SS. He is supposedly looking for a 2-year $30m deal or more. I am not sure there are many teams left that can go over that amount or even hit that mark. The Reds and the Phillies are the ones linked to Gregorius but I am not sure the Phillies have the budget room for him after their recent signing of Realmuto. The Reds have been trying to reduce payroll so I don't think they have the budget to add Gregorius at least not at $15m a year.

La Stella still hasn't officially signed with the Giants but it is a 3-year ~$19m deal just waiting on the medicals to come back.

The Dodgers are kind of stuck I think they really want Arenado and are willing to let Turner walk. I don't think there are many teams out there on Bryant or at least who will be serious in bidding for him. The Cubs are going to have to hold onto him until the deadline and hope he is healthy and plays good otherwise they are not going to get much for him. I think the Mets might look into Bryant but they are going to want him at a discount or have the Cubs pay some of his salary which I don't think will happen unless the Cubs get some prospects they like.

As for the Brewers I think it is down to Gyorko or Turner. If the Dodgers are not able to get Arenado they will sign Turner.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/free-agent-tracker

For 3B, it looks like:

- Justin Turner (3.1 proj. WAR)

- Maikel Franco (1.1)

- Travis Shaw (0.8)

- Brad Miller (0.7)

- Jake Lamb (0.7)

- Marwin Gonzalez (0.6)

- Hanser Alberto (0.6)

- Todd Frazier (0.6)

- Asdrubel Cabrera (0.6)

- Jedd Gyorko (0.5)

- Eric Sogard (0.3) ;)

- Joe Panik (0.3)

- Renato Nunez (0.3)

For 1B, it looks like:

- Joc Pederson (2.4 proj. WAR) - Might be a stretch to play 1st...

- Travis Shaw (0.8)

- Brad Miller (0.7)

- Jake Lamb (0.7)

- Marwin Gonzalez (0.6)

- Todd Frazier (0.6)

- CJ Cron (0.6)

- Asdrubel Cabrera (0.6)

- Jedd Gyorko (0.5)

- Renato Nunez (0.3)

For 1B, it looks like:

- Joc Pederson (2.4 proj. WAR) - Might be a stretch to play 1st...

- Travis Shaw (0.8)

- Brad Miller (0.7)

- Jake Lamb (0.7)

- Marwin Gonzalez (0.6)

- Todd Frazier (0.6)

- CJ Cron (0.6)

- Asdrubel Cabrera (0.6)

- Jedd Gyorko (0.5)

- Renato Nunez (0.3)

My GOD....after JT, that 3B and 1B list of remaining options is really depressing! For the love of God, Stearns and Arnold - please go get us Turner!

Ha, JT truly is by far the biggest bat we could grab at this point, but there are some passable combos we could patch together without him still. Tacked on a few more players to the splits...

2018-20 vs RHP:

keo5gIz.png

2018-20 vs LHP:

nWMttae.png

Cron does look like he'd make a really nice partner at 1B and could hold his own vs. RHP still if Vogelbach totally collapses. Cabrera also provides a steady bat vs both RHP and LHP and could spell both 1B and 3B. And Robertson may end up being a bigger pick up than we're giving credit for so far. But I'm with everyone that says they'd be floored if MA can open the pocketbook a little to get Turner in this lineup.

We better hurry the hell up with Turner... Cardinals are talking to acquire Arenado.

Rosenthal’s article is sort of all over the place in terms of how likely this move is to happening. Here’s an excerpt from the article:

The Cardinals are in discussions with the Rockies about a deal that would bring the five-time All-Star third baseman to St. Louis, according to major-league sources. No deal appears close, and the other players who might be involved are not known.

Arenado, 29, likely would waive his no-trade clause to join the Cardinals, and perhaps agree to push back his right to opt out after the 2021 season. The Rockies, to escape his $199 million guarantee over the next six seasons, almost certainly would absorb at least one high-priced veteran from the Cardinals while also receiving prospects in the deal.

League sources offered varied assessments of where the talks stood Thursday night. One cautioned that a trade might not happen at all, but others believe the Rockies are motivated to move Arenado and the Cardinals are motivated to acquire him. The Braves also checked in on Arenado but made no progress toward a deal, a source said.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If there is a meltdown, it's going to be a very isolated one. Justin Turner is 36 years old. There is a ton of risk in signing him to a big deal. If the Brewers don't, it isn't going to bother me.

Archived