Brewer Fanatic

Filling Out the Roster

Semien is a difference maker for sure, and guys like Pederson make a lot of logical sense.

Besides his 2019 season which was a superstar level season how is Semien a sure fire difference maker. I'm fine with a one year deal but no way would I shell out a big contract for a player who has had one unbelievable season and one other season where his defense made up for subpar offense.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm as anxious as everyone else to see the Brewers make moves -- and hitting "refresh" over and over on several sites every day -- I firmly believe it's way too soon to call this offseason a dud. The market is slow and there are still more Top 100 free agents available than there are signed.

If we've learned nothing the past few years, it's that Stearns is constantly active and aims high..... AND that we likely won't hear about much of what he's up to. Boring? Yes, especially when we're eager to have 1B & 3B filled by something better than guys who are retreads with good reason. But it doesn't mean nothing's happening.

While I'm as anxious as everyone else to see the Brewers make moves -- and hitting "refresh" over and over on several sites -- I firmly believe it's way too soon to call this offseason a dud. The market is slow and there are still more Top 100 free agents available than there are signed.

If we've learned nothing the past few years, it's that Stearns is constantly active and aims high..... AND that we likely won't hear about much of what he's up to. Boring? Yes, especially when we're eager to have 1B & 3B filled by something better than guys who are retreads with good reason. But it doesn't mean nothing's happening.

We all waited for something meaningful to happen last offseason and it just never did.

Yeah, it is getting pretty annoying now. I keep wholeheartedly carrying the water for this team and its front office, but I have to admit, the faith is beginning to wain.

Not that big moves aren't still there to be had. Yesterday was the 3-year anniversary Yeli-Mas. I've never been more excited to be a Brewer fan than I was that night. It's time for Stearns and Arnold to man up and create some excitement for this team again.

There have to be moves at some point. They’ve made just two trades over the past the 13 months (Phelps & Knebel), and obviously haven’t made any even moderately significant free agent signings this off-season. I am going to give it another week or two until I overreact, but if we get into mid-February and still haven’t seen anything to improve the roster I am going to certainly be frustrated. I do maintain hope just due to the number of free agents still available.

What I don’t completely understand is the entire NL Central sort of idly sitting by this offseason. Daniel Robertson remains the highest paid free agent ($900k) to sign with an NL Central team. I know there is an important financial component hurting these teams, but at some point there are still ways to creatively improve the team and organization. In my opinion, the worst place to operate in baseball is the middle of the road. You should be trying to improve your product either in the short-term or the long-term. It’s like all of the NL Central clubs have just sort of agreed not to press each other and just see how things will shake out with a bunch of sub-.500 teams on paper playing out a season. I obviously don’t think that’s actually the case, but am hopeful the Brewers are the team that decides to seize the moment and make moves with a 2021 division championship in mind.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Semien is a difference maker for sure, and guys like Pederson make a lot of logical sense.

Besides his 2019 season which was a superstar level season how is Semien a sure fire difference maker. I'm fine with a one year deal but no way would I shell out a big contract for a player who has had one unbelievable season and one other season where his defense made up for subpar offense.

All his full seasons other than 2019 resulted in substantially positive WAR of 2.5, 3.4, 2.1, and 3.1 respectively. There is literally no way that can be interpreted as 'subpar'. Adding in his fantastic defense, and he has consistently performed at a high level for basically his whole career.

And 2019 was literally MVP caliber. No one is necessarily expecting that again, but there's zero stretching the truth in calling him a difference maker.

Hmmm, very interesting about the interest in Ozuna since the DH isnt coming now.

And also, Vogelbach comes a bench bat... HE CANNOT BE OUR 2021 1B.

You may not feel that it is preferable, but he very much CAN be the 2021 1B ... if the Brewers feel comfortable enough with him there.

Hmmm, very interesting about the interest in Ozuna since the DH isnt coming now.

You may not feel that it is preferable, but he very much CAN be the 2021 1B ... if the Brewers feel comfortable enough with him there.

They dont........

From Stearns himself...... “I think Vogey is best suited as a hitter, and that means he’s probably best suited for the DH,” Stearns said. “If there is no DH in the National League -- right now we don’t have one -- then we would have to make a determination as to how comfortable we would be devoting meaningful time to him at first base.”

While I'm as anxious as everyone else to see the Brewers make moves -- and hitting "refresh" over and over on several sites -- I firmly believe it's way too soon to call this offseason a dud. The market is slow and there are still more Top 100 free agents available than there are signed.

We all waited for something meaningful to happen last offseason and it just never did.

It was on this day 3 years ago that we traded for Yelich & signed Cain. Up 'til then, that offseason was a dud. Then the prognosis changed considerably.

I'm frustrated at the lack of meaningful activity -- I don't consider the parade of roster-fringe utility infielders as satisfying the criteria for meaningful -- but I'm not going to declare final judgement on this offseason yet for the reasons stated above.

If it gets to the point where we end up only signing table scraps and that's the best we could do for the obvious holes on the Opening Day lineup card, I'll readily agree that this offseason was indeed as poor as it's been painful up to now.

They dont........

From Stearns himself...... “I think Vogey is best suited as a hitter, and that means he’s probably best suited for the DH,” Stearns said. “If there is no DH in the National League -- right now we don’t have one -- then we would have to make a determination as to how comfortable we would be devoting meaningful time to him at first base.”

You say "they don't", then follow it with a direct quote from Stearns saying that they have to make a determination on him. That really isn't "they don't".

I get that having the guy at 1B isn't an ideal situation, but don't make it sound like the Brewers definitely don't see him as an option there just because you may not like the guy.

You say "they don't", then follow it with a direct quote from Stearns saying that they have to make a determination on him. That really isn't "they don't".

I get that having the guy at 1B isn't an ideal situation, but don't make it sound like the Brewers definitely don't see him as an option there just because you may not like the guy.

If they felt comfortable, this statement wouldnt be made.

This quote says it all to me:

“I think Vogey is best suited as a hitter, and that means he’s probably best suited for the DH,”

What more do you need to hear?

The Brewers do not view him as a full time 1B, and rightfully so. Can he fill in there in a pinch, probably, but there is no way they go into 2021 with Vogelbomb as a full time 1B. Just not going to happen, and if it does, we are in trouble.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

“I think Vogey is best suited as a hitter, and that means he’s probably best suited for the DH,”

The Brewers do not view him as a full time 1B, and rightfully so. Can he fill in there in a pinch, probably, but there is no way they go into 2021 with Vogelbomb as a full time 1B. Just not going to happen, and if it does, we are in trouble.

Exactly, thank you!

If they felt comfortable, this statement wouldnt be made.

Most teams, including this one, make defensive moves they don't necessarily feel comfortable with. We're talking about the same team that moved a lumbering 3B in Moustakas to 2B in order to inject an extra potent bat into the lineup. They gave two starting years to Domingo Santana, despite him quite possibly being the worst defensive corner OFer in baseball. Giving a guy like Vogelbach meaningful time at 1B, if they truly believe in his bat, isn't an idea that is completely far fetched, especially for this team.

I personally do not want to see Vogelbach be the full time 1B. I agree, if he ends up there, it isn't ideal.

What do I need to hear? How about not what Stearns immediately said after that quote about needing to determine if he can play there if there is no DH?

I just think that dismissing the idea that the Brewers may end up going that route is premature.

They're going to be in trouble anyways. Unless the Brewers intend to spend 8-10 million dollars on a free agent (which I give zero chance of happening), they are not going to get any players with any prowess. It will be more of the same as last year: aging veterans coming off a down season, or players looking to make a comeback after a major injury/injuries. In that context, why not see what Vogelbach can do? He's got the pedigree, some big league experience and is on the right side of 30.

They're going to be in trouble anyways. Unless the Brewers intend to spend 8-10 million dollars on a free agent (which I give zero chance of happening), they are going to get any players with any prowess. It will be more of the same as last year: aging veterans coming off a down season, or players looking to make a comeback after a major injury/injuries. In that context, why not see what Vogelbach can do? He's got the pedigree, some big league experience and is on the right side of 30.

And DFA'd by like 2 or 3 teams before us.

So because he was DFA'd by the Mariners and the Blue Jays, that makes him useless? I'm not sure I'm following this one. The Mariners aren't exactly known for sound personnel decisions, and the Blue Jays took a flyer that didn't immediately pay off in 5 ABs, then needed the roster spot after acquiring Robbie Ray at the deadline last year.

No one is going to judge you if you simply say you don't like the guy. There's been plenty of guys I haven't liked over the years. Some I was right on, but plenty I was wrong on too.

So because he was DFA'd by the Mariners and the Blue Jays, that makes him useless? I'm not sure I'm following this one. The Mariners aren't exactly known for sound personnel decisions, and the Blue Jays took a flyer that didn't immediately pay off in 5 ABs, then needed the roster spot after acquiring Robbie Ray at the deadline last year.

No one is going to judge you if you simply say you don't like the guy. There's been plenty of guys I haven't liked over the years. Some I was right on, but plenty I was wrong on too.

Yep, I'll admit it... I dont believe in Vogelbach... I just can't see him being our opening day '21 1B... But it's not my $, so see what happens I guess... I'm pass the point of frustration with the lack of moves.

The NL Central is here for the taking! This team right now, only needs a legit 1B and 3B... Our offense isnt as bad as it was last year.

Unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances that destroyed our revenues we have no choice but to dumpster dive like last offseason. To be honest I am far more bothered that we took this same approach last offseason when we expected big crowds.

Archived