Brewer Fanatic

Filling Out the Roster

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McKinney looks like he could basically be Justin Smoak, but making the minimum. If he hits 25 bombs and hits .230, I guess why not? Certainly not ideal, but I wouldn’t mind it if he’s a 6 or 7 hole hitter as long as we make a nice addition for third base.

I don't see why McKinney won't become our 4th OF, lefty bat off the bench... He easily slides into Gamel's role.

McKinney doesn't have any options left, while Ty Taylor has one left.

Why the 4th outfielder when we still have no legit 1B?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't see why McKinney won't become our 4th OF, lefty bat off the bench... He easily slides into Gamel's role.

Because I'm hopeful we'll add a legit 1B, plenty out there yet.... But I guess we need to be even more patience according to Stearns.

C.J. Cron

Mitch Moreland

Jake Lamb

Edwin Encarnacion

Todd Frazier

Jedd Gyorko (Would rather him at 3B tho)

Another player that PECOTA likes is the Brewers very own left-handed hitting outfielder, Billy McKinney. The article author says among McKinney's top PECOTA comps are Alex Gordon and Alfonso Soriano. McKinney is projected for a .452 slugging percentage and PECOTA seems to be buying into his home run power. It's not the first projection system this off-season to think McKinney is an above average player, so maybe they're onto something we aren't.

I totally forgot that the Brewers acquired McKinney. I know he has some experience at 1B, but it's only about 25 innings total in his MLB career. He was certainly a well thought-of prospect at one point, though. He'll be an interesting one to watch this spring.

Well looks like the start of the season is being moved back so that give DS more time to find that Gem.

Believe that was if mlbpa agreed to the offer. I heard on radio pitchers catchers report in 13? Days i believe now again.

Because I'm hopeful we'll add a legit 1B, plenty out there yet.... But I guess we need to be even more patience according to Stearns.

C.J. Cron

Mitch Moreland

Jake Lamb

Edwin Encarnacion

Todd Frazier

Jedd Gyorko (Would rather him at 3B tho)

Something to maybe check and consider. Are there any corner inf or utility players who have an agreed arb contract that can be waived much like Vogelbach's or even Arcia's? Cut payroll types. Guess you could look at a list of players who surprisingly were tendered when thought of being non-tendered? So when Stearn says he's looking to create a roster by opening day and not beginning of ST that could be what he means. Maybe theres some knowledge behind doors teams are cash strapped and casualties are forthcoming to such players. Or since he may plan it on Arcia or Vogelbach, Robertson himself he thinks others will.

Well looks like the start of the season is being moved back so that give DS more time to find that Gem.

No its not, MLBPA rejected the deal.

ST starts in 2 weeks, season start on April 1st.

The thing is this... there are lots of guys still out there unsigned. If they plan on playing MLB this season, they will have to sign pretty soon. The Brewers have 2 spots mostly wide open right now on a team that is a playoff contender. I think we will see our beloved 1 year with an option contract at least with one player that will be a starter.

Definitely didnt see Keston as our 2021 1B but with Wong in the fold now... I would love to see us add Gyorko and Rich Hill yet.

Hill could be exactly what our rotation needs.

Not Gyroko now. Both Robertson and Urias hit righthanded, and moving Hiura to 1B moves Vogelbach into a once or twice a week player. Wong is LH but he doesn't have much power so other than maybe Navarez, where's the everyday LH power bat to compliment Yelich?

Unless they shock everyone and sign Turner, I think you look at the three LH hitting 3B still out there to platoon at 3B. Some very familiar names on that list including Travis Shaw and Brad Miller. Other guy is Jake Lamb. I kind of think the guy who seems to fit is Miller though Lamb may have the higher ceiling. Miller was reasonably useful and steady for Cardinals last year and can float around the infield if need be. I know he failed with Brewers in 2018 but I think he might welcome a second chance.

Didnt realize Miller was a FA, I guess I could get behind a Miller/Robertson platoon at 3B.

For some reason, I just think Stearns signed Robertson to be our everyday 3B... Otherwise I think we would have added someone other than him... He must believe in what Robertson can be.

Didnt realize Miller was a FA, I guess I could get behind a Miller/Robertson platoon at 3B.

For some reason, I just think Stearns signed Robertson to be our everyday 3B... Otherwise I think we would have added someone other than him... He must believe in what Robertson can be.

Stearns' acquisition of Robertson very much reminds me of Doug Melvin grabbing Keith Ginter back in 2002 and Casey McGehee in 2009. Both were eventually replaced by more high-profile and higher upside players (Rickie Weeks and Aramis Ramirez), but both were also astute acquisitions who played well in their time as Brewers. If Robertson can provide similar production to what those two did, I'd be very happy.

Taking a closer look at the 25 3B listed as free agents still (https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/free-agent-tracker?&pos=3b)

2018-20 Defensively:

rkbRDOU.png

2018-20 vs. RHP:

x8N6KDG.png

2018-20 vs. LHP:

k1lWiD5.png

Is Shaw still buddies with anyone on the team? He actually looks like he'd be a nice fit to return defensively and against RHP. Otherwise, Asdrubel Cabrera, Marwin Gonzalez, Brad Miller, Todd Frazier, Renato Nunez, or possibly a Brock Holt retry could all make some sense as guys that can hit RHP a bit and be okay defensively (although I also read Nunez is strictly a DH places even though his stats seem okay-ish - also I'm assuming Jed Lowrie is just broke at this point?).

Is Shaw still buddies with anyone on the team? He actually looks like he'd be a nice fit to return defensively and against RHP. .

There have been rumors that the Shaw/Milwaukee breakup wasn't particularly amicable. Not sure if there's any legitimacy to that or whether it's just assumptions, though.

I'm assuming Urias just becomes the all over guy. Can start at 3B, SS, and 2B to spell all of our infielders. The only issue is he seemingly only hits left handed pitching so that helps Wong. Not sure about the other two positions.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wow, didnt except to see Brad Miller as #3 in the offense numbers... I will gladly take either him or Asdrubal to platoon with Robertson at 3B.

Miller/Robertson

or

Cabrera/Robertson

Could be nice production, although Cabrera is a switch hitter so wouldnt it just make sense to have him at 3B everyday? But then Robertson and Urias would both become utility guys, we don't need two of them on the bench.

Just make Urias the everyday SS and trade Arcia for whatever you can get... Or keep Arcia and bring in Miller, I'm fine with either.

I think Shaw's three-year numbers are a bit skewed by 2018, considering he is a player who seemingly fell off a cliff starting in 2019. Plus a Brewers reunion seems unlikely.

Robertson looks good on those charts, but his career is a relatively small sample size. I'm not sure we can rely on him to hit that well over a full season.

Asdrubal Cabrera is the most attractive to me. He always seems underrated considering how well he hits for a capable 3B/2B/SS. He's 35 years old now, but a 1-year deal to help us see what we have with Urias would be perfect.

I think Shaw's three-year numbers are a bit skewed by 2018, considering he is a player who seemingly fell off a cliff starting in 2019. Plus a Brewers reunion seems unlikely.

Robertson looks good on those charts, but his career is a relatively small sample size. I'm not sure we can rely on him to hit that well over a full season.

Asdrubal Cabrera is the most attractive to me. He always seems underrated considering how well he hits for a capable 3B/2B/SS. He's 35 years old now, but a 1-year deal to help us see what we have with Urias would be perfect.

I could also see Marwin Gonzalez, Stearns knows him well... I'm definitely on board with adding Gonzalez or Cabrera on a 1 yr deal.

I could also see Marwin Gonzalez, Stearns knows him well... I'm definitely on board with adding Gonzalez or Cabrera on a 1 yr deal.

Outside of his one season where he knew what pitches were coming, he has been a slightly below average player. I wouldn’t mind him if it’s something along the lines of one year for $3-4 million, but I would prefer Cabrera for $5-6 million as I see him as a better all around player.

Is Shaw still buddies with anyone on the team? He actually looks like he'd be a nice fit to return defensively and against RHP. .

There have been rumors that the Shaw/Milwaukee breakup wasn't particularly amicable. Not sure if there's any legitimacy to that or whether it's just assumptions, though.

Travis did respond to a tweet last month about being open to it:

Travis did respond to a tweet last month about being open to it:

Good to hear- thanks for sharing.

Archived