Brewer Fanatic

Filling Out the Roster

As this Jayson Stark article points out of the 240 players that were considered major-league free agents this offseason (or non-tendered in December) we now reach Groundhog’s Day with 148 of them still unsigned.

Stark: The Strange but True free-agent winter of 2020-21

In other news, from Jon Morosi...

Confirming: MLB will have 26-man rosters in 2021, except for doubleheaders, when the limit expands to 27.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stearns comment is only likely to upset more fans if the signings between now and Opening Day end up being players that project as 1 WAR (or less) players. He might have been better off trying to hype up what they have instead. "Narvaez showed remarkable progress with his defense last year, and we really believe 2020 was a complete outlier in terms of his offense. Vogelbach did a nice job after he got to Milwaukee and he was an All-Star just a couple years ago. Urias is former top 30 prospect and we believe he's going to be a good player. Rasmussen and Topa did a pretty nice job for us last year, we think we have a chance to have one of the league's best bullpens this year (can't use that one if he plans to trade Hader, but I don't think he will)."

Edwin Encarnacion on a minor league contract with an invite to camp?

Had terrible season in Covid ball, but put up a very nice .875 OPS in 2019.

Likely never found his timing in 2020, as he still managed to hit 10 homeruns in 44 games, but his BABiP was .157, 90 points below his 2019 mark, and 110 points below his career mark. Hits LHP better than right handed pitching and has played a lot of 1B the last 5 years or so coupled with DH’ing

Encarnacion's bat makes a lot of sense if there's a DH, and I'd have zero problem with a non-roster invitee type deal. He's a pretty brutal 1B, though, so you'd kind of be picking your poison there since you'd have a similar problem with Vogelbach defensively. You'd have the makings of a really nice LHB/RHB platoon offensively, though....

Is the well even close to dry yet, though? As per above, there's still 148 free agents unsigned....

No certainly not yet but my fear is if Stearns waits too long looking for the perfect deal for these free agents, we’re going to end up with some really subpar signings.

There are a few players left on the free agent market who could likely be signed to relatively inexpensive short-term deals to fill holes for this team. Here are a few I like:

1. 3B-INF Marwin Gonzalez - I was interested in him last year, but he ended up going to the Twins. He did not have a good COVID season, but he checks off a lot of potential boxes for the Brewers, as he's a switch hitter with positional versatility. He is going into his age 32 season, so you hope for an offensive rebound. Im guessing he could be had on a one-year deal for roughly $4 million.

2. OF Josh Reddick - As a 4th OFer and pinch hitter, you want a guy that puts the ball in play, and doesn't strike out at a 30+% clip. Reddick is hopefully an upgrade on Ben Gamel that could likely be had for around the same money.

3. SP Jordan Zimmermann - Homer pick. But as a minor league deal flyer, why not bring him in and see if he's got anything left?

Is the well even close to dry yet, though? As per above, there's still 148 free agents unsigned....

No certainly not yet but my fear is if Stearns waits too long looking for the perfect deal for these free agents, we’re going to end up with some really subpar signings.

Yep if he's true to his word above, all the legit players to improve this team will be gone.

Can't wait to see us sign more middle infielders to minor league deals, [sarcasm]because that's where the big holes on our team are.[/sarcasm]

There are a few players left on the free agent market who could likely be signed to relatively inexpensive short-term deals to fill holes for this team. Here are a few I like:

1. 3B-INF Marwin Gonzalez - I was interested in him last year, but he ended up going to the Twins. He did not have a good COVID season, but he checks off a lot of potential boxes for the Brewers, as he's a switch hitter with positional versatility. He is going into his age 32 season, so you hope for an offensive rebound. Im guessing he could be had on a one-year deal for roughly $4 million.

2. OF Josh Reddick - As a 4th OFer and pinch hitter, you want a guy that puts the ball in play, and doesn't strike out at a 30+% clip. Reddick is hopefully an upgrade on Ben Gamel that could likely be had for around the same money.

3. SP Jordan Zimmermann - Homer pick. But as a minor league deal flyer, why not bring him in and see if he's got anything left?

Sounds like Marwin is close to signing... Red Sox were mentioned.

Sounds like Marwin is close to signing... Red Sox were mentioned.

Sounds like a few teams are in on him:

oU6x9Gt.png

ZT1Q8iL.png

I think they need to add a cheap pitcher Walker or Archer or Zimmerman

Well they just signed Nathan Patterson to a minor league contract. That's a cheap pitcher.

Who the hell is Nathan Patterson? I've never heard of this guy.

Well they just signed Nathan Patterson to a minor league contract. That's a cheap pitcher.

Google is your friend:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article233624182.html

[sarcasm]I hope he's actually qualified for the position.[/sarcasm]

Oh the radar gun guy, lovely.

It's a longshot flyer. Absolutely no one is expecting him to be #3 in the 2021 rotation.

I know just sick of these minor league deals and yes I know they need to made for depth reasons but come on Stearns, WE HAVE GLARING HOLES AT 3B AND 1B!!

It's a longshot flyer. Absolutely no one is expecting him to be #3 in the 2021 rotation.

I know just sick of these minor league deals and yes I know they need to made for depth reasons but come on Stearns, WE HAVE GLARING HOLES AT 3B AND 1B!!

Signing Nathan Patterson (who will likely be pitching in Appleton) is going to have absolutely no bearing on filling holes on the major league roster.

We know.... we know...

A couple of interesting things from Baseball Prospectus' Blocked Players PECOTA Likes article today.

First, one of the blocked players PECOTA really likes that could be a trade candidate:

Seth Beer, 1B/DH, Diamondbacks [PECOTA Projections below]

[pre]Player HR R RBI AVG OBP SLG DRC+

Beer 25 73 81 .258 .337 .462 122[/pre]

Beer, in addition to having the most fitting name possible, is currently blocked by both Christian Walker as well as prospect Pavin Smith from getting time at first base with the Diamondbacks.

Admittedly, the LHH probably isn't a great fit for the Brewers unless they truly don't trust Vogelbach to play 1B (or else the DH ends up happening after all).

Another player that PECOTA likes is the Brewers very own left-handed hitting outfielder, Billy McKinney. The article author says among McKinney's top PECOTA comps are Alex Gordon and Alfonso Soriano. McKinney is projected for a .452 slugging percentage and PECOTA seems to be buying into his home run power. It's not the first projection system this off-season to think McKinney is an above average player, so maybe they're onto something we aren't.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived