Brewer Fanatic

Filling Out the Roster

If you were the GM how would you fill out the roster? There are five openings on the 40 man and it looks like the Brewer's have roughly 10 million dollars to spend. Speculate on contracts.

3B- Marwin Gonzalez- Two years, 6 million dollars

Plays 3B, Urias become a utility IF. Could Gonzalez hit 2nd to balance the batting order?

1B- CJ Cron- Two years, eight million dollars (team option for 2022)

Primary 1B and hope for a DH. Bats four or five.

OF- Delino DeShields, Jr.- One year, 1 million dollars with a 1.5 million dollar club option. MLB only contract.

Plays CF, still young and fast. Entering his prime.

LHRP- Roenis Elias- One year, 1 million dollars

I may be off on his contract. If so, Justin Anderson would be a lefty RP target.

That's 9 million.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marwin Gonzalez is a career 99 wRC+ hitter, and even that is largely due to a trashcan-aided 2017 (144 wRC+, been nowhere near that before or since). He's fine as a utility man, but 2nd in the order should be your best, or at least one of your 3 best, hitters. I hope he is not that.

I think Tommy LaStella would fit perfectly at 3B as well as able to provide a LHB at 2B when needed. Fangraphs prediction was 2/17, the median crowdsourced projection there was 2/14. Probably on the high end of what the team might be willing to shell out, but well worth it IMO.

In addition to that, a RHH 1B, ideally someone who can play 3B too. Cron is a good option for a pure 1B. Wouldn't mind a Jedd Gyorko reunion either; can play both 1B and 3B well. If it happens I would imagine it would have to be less then $3.5m, or they'd have kept him at that cost with the team option.

If resources are limited (As I imagine they are), 1B and 3B is where I'd focus everything. I trust they'll be able to find some servicable relievers on minor league or league minimum deals (Like Yardley this year) for depth.

I'd still look to trade Hader if the right deal presents itself, which might or might not fill 1B or 3B, and retaining both Piña and Narvaez makes me think a catcher trade is in order, and I'm more and more starting to think it's Nottingham. But could be anyone, their catcher moves already surprised me so I could very well be wrong again.

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/roster/40-man

Since the Brewers claimed Tim Lopes off waivers, there are 37 guys on the 40-man roster.

- I think Tommy LaStella would be a more ideal fit than Marwin Gonzalez.

- It would hardly be a "sexy" move, but I like a Gyorko reunion.

- If he's interested in continuing to play, I'd be quite interest in a Ryan Braun return.

- I'm also up for a Brett Anderson reunion if he's healthy -- or someone comparable if he's not interested.

(Not that returning guys are glorious or the best option every time, but part of finding a match is also finding guys who are willing to play in MIL.)

- I kind of think at least one experienced BP arm is coming in, if not two, and I'd take David Phelps again in a heartbeat.

Of course that's up to 6 players incoming & we have 3 40-man openings. It wouldn't surprise me if Bobby Wahl, Ray Black, and David Freitas' spots on the roster aren't etched in stone. Billy McKinney, possibly the same.

If any of the positions these types of players would fill are acquired via trade, it's hard to know who any trade targets may be and what the return might be. Depth in the realm of competent, proven, productive (read: non-K-heavy) bats seems rather thin, and we're not exactly bursting at the seams with spare high-quality pitching talent, either.

I liked what we saw of Tyrone Taylor. No reason to bring in DeShields who has almost no power and strikes out a lot for a guy with no power. La Stella would be fine but he's probably not a bargain. I wouldn't go higher than $5 million for him. Jake Lamb might be a better value as a LH bat at a lower base and incentives. Marwin Gonzalez doesn't excite me much. Maybe if he's real cheap.

I still say a reunion with Guerra makes sense for bullpen depth for $1.6 million or so. If Braun wants to play, Brewers should bring him back even if he busts their budget a bit at around $6-7 million. He deserves that from this franchise and he's still a dangerous hitter.

Ryan Braun 1 year deal

Travis Shaw 1 year deal

Brett Anderson 1 year deal

C: Narvaez/Pina

1B: Vogelbach/Shaw/Braun

2B: Hiura

SS: Arcia/Urias

3B: Shaw/Urias

LF: Yelich

CF: Cain/Garcia

RF: Garcia/Braun

SP: Woodruff

SP: Burnes

SP:Anderson

SP: Lindblom

SP: Lauer

Brewers are going to be a pitching and defense team in 2021 anyhow. May as well fill some holes cheap while allowing younger players an attempt to establish themselves and bring Braun back if he decides to play.

I can't speak for him but I cannot imagine Travis Shaw wants anything to do with the Brewers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Money and playing time talks, but if those are similar I think Travis Shaw would likely go elsewhere than to have a reunion here. I’m guessing that it is unlikely we outbid everyone enough to make it happen.

Can’t say I really want that reunion, personally...guessing the Brewers don’t want it either.

Jake Lamb and CJ Cron on 1 yr deals.

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Lamb

Garcia

Narvaez

Urias

I like that lineup, plenty of power 2-7

Take a 1 yr flyer on Garrett Richards, Gio Gonzalez or Carlos Rodon

Woodruff

Burnes

Richards/Gonzalez/Rodon

Houser

Lindblom

Nice rotation as well!

Cron seems to make too much sense for the Brewers for it actually come to pass. He'd be perfect.

Lamb doesn't do much for me. He's a very meh bat overall, probably more like poor when factoring in the expected production of a 3B. Looking at his stats, it's astounding how bad he got after his all-star 2017 season. He's been pretty bad for the last three seasons since...

Cron seems to make too much sense for the Brewers for it actually come to pass. He'd be perfect.

Lamb doesn't do much for me. He's a very meh bat overall, probably more like poor when factoring in the expected production of a 3B. Looking at his stats, it's astounding how bad he got after his all-star 2017 season. He's been pretty bad for the last three seasons since...

Agreed on Cron, perfect fit at 1B... So we more than likely dont end up with him LOL

Lamb was decent with Oakland to finish the year, idk I just want a power hitting 3B, thats just me tho... I would love LaStella but he has plenty of other interest, doubt we land him... Wouldnt mind Franco either, but I would like to add another lefty power bat to the lineup... Maybe swap Moreland for Cron then if we add Franco.

Jake Lamb about 4 years ago was the guy I wanted. He definitely has fallen off my radar since becoming pretty blah. But on the cheap, I think I would be okay with giving him an opportunity as there isn't much else in the 3B department. Seems to be a void position for awhile across the MLB. What happened to slick-fielding 3B's that can hit?!?

Cron does seem to make a lot of sense but maybe they view Vogelbach as their guy going into the season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Jake Lamb about 4 years ago was the guy I wanted. He definitely has fallen off my radar since becoming pretty blah. But on the cheap, I think I would be okay with giving him an opportunity as there isn't much else in the 3B department. Seems to be a void position for awhile across the MLB. What happened to slick-fielding 3B's that can hit?!?

Cron does seem to make a lot of sense but maybe they view Vogelbach as their guy going into the season.

God I hope not.

I don't love Cron but I'm slowly warming to the idea. I like Gyorko a whole lot better than Lamb.

Some power is good, but I'm interested in drastically lowering our K rate, which is why La Stella is high on my list. More quality hitting overall -- more consistently productive at-bats & putting balls in play with hits (perish the thought!) -- serves this team better than occasional clusters of HRs and major droughts where a single & a walk often constitutes our best rally.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody got a particular starting pitcher they like as a bounce back candidate that can be had on a vet minimum type of deal? Lyles, Miley and even Anderson worked well last few years. Although Anderson wasn’t a minimum he was certainly an under the radar move.

Not getting him on a minimum deal but I really like Taijuan Walker on a 2 year deal in the $15 million range.

Love his stuff. He would be a really nice 3rd/4th in the rotation and come playoffs a nice 2-3 inning guy. 2 years 15mil seems about right but would love to see the Crew throw a 1 year 7 mil with a 2 mil buyout for year 2.

Side note, boards have gotten a little quiet lately. Good to see folks still hanging around.

Anybody got a particular starting pitcher they like as a bounce back candidate that can be had on a vet minimum type of deal? Lyles, Miley and even Anderson worked well last few years. Although Anderson wasn’t a minimum he was certainly an under the radar move.

These may not all be minimum salaries, but all of these players should be relatively cheap and intrigue me one way or another in order on how much I like them:

Mike Foltynewicz

Brad Peacock

Matt Moore

Tyler Anderson

Dario Agrazal

Erasmo Ramírez

Nick Tropeano

These may not all be minimum salaries, but all of these players should be relatively cheap and intrigue me one way or another in order on how much I like them:

Mike Foltynewicz

Brad Peacock

Matt Moore

Tyler Anderson

Dario Agrazal

Erasmo Ramírez

Nick Tropeano

I like Collin McHugh as a cheap #4-5 type. Maybe swing man.

Chris Archer?

While it’s more than likely due to waiting for the chips to fall with Bauer, etc., there have been zero rumors on Jose Quintana. There’d be an excellent veteran arm for the Brewers to add should a market fail to develop for him.

So I think this might be a good idea for both the Brewers and the Dbacks.

Dbacks get: C Payton Henry and OF Carlos Rodriguez

Brewers get: 1B Pavin Smith

For a FA signing I am going to go with LaStella at 3B at 3-years $24m with a team option for the 3rd year and a player option for the 2nd year. The contract is fully backloaded $6m in 2021 $8m in 2022 and $10m with a $6m buyout in 2023. Other free agents Quintana 1-year $8m and Jeffress 1-year $2m. That puts the total of free agency at $16m for those three which is what I think the Brewers have left to spend for the offseason and in season trades.

Going the cheap route it would just be the Pavin Smith trade and Quintana signing if you want to go that way. If there is no DH I expect Vogelbach to be released.

I would bring back Jedd Gyorko, to me he may be better and will definitely be cheaper than LaStella.

I'd also like to see Jake Lamb brought in at a reasonable price, he played well for Oakland down the stretch and could end up being a steal. Between Gyorko, Lamb, Vogelbach and Urias, I'd be content with our 1b/3b/DH spots. We have 46 utility infielders to fill in if they struggle.

I would also be open to bringing Braun back, if he's interested in being a 4th OF and DH vs. LHP.

I'd also like to add another starting pitcher. Some of the names that jump out to me are Trevor Williams, Foltynewicz, Archer and Paxton. Obviously Paxton and Archer would cost more, but would be nice to get one of those guys at a lower cost.

Other than that, I like the roster a lot.

Archived