Brewer Fanatic

Kluber?

TURBO

I'd roll the dice on him if the price was right...

Free agent right-hander Corey Kluber will throw for interested teams on January 13 in Florida, per MLB.com's Jon Morosi.

There had been some conflicting reports about the exact date of the showcase, but it sounds like it's now finally set. Kluber threw just one inning in 2020 before suffering a Grade 2 strain of the teres major muscle in his right shoulder, though he is said to be healthy now and should be able to find several incentive-laden type of offers. The 34-year-old has been connected to the Red Sox multiple times in recent weeks.

RELATED: Boston Red Sox

SOURCE: Jon Morosi on Twitter

Jan 4, 2021, 4:05 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think the Brewers will add a veteran starting pitcher but will stick to guys who won't come with $10 million or so in incentives. On paper, the Brewers have a one and a two, and in this market a solid 3 or 4 should come at a relatively modest price.

I'd roll the dice on him if the price was right...

Free agent right-hander Corey Kluber will throw for interested teams on January 13 in Florida, per MLB.com's Jon Morosi.

There had been some conflicting reports about the exact date of the showcase, but it sounds like it's now finally set. Kluber threw just one inning in 2020 before suffering a Grade 2 strain of the teres major muscle in his right shoulder, though he is said to be healthy now and should be able to find several incentive-laden type of offers. The 34-year-old has been connected to the Red Sox multiple times in recent weeks.

RELATED: Boston Red Sox

SOURCE: Jon Morosi on Twitter

Jan 4, 2021, 4:05 PM ET

Not going to outbid the Red Sox. And this sounds exactly like a Red Sox move.

It's frustrating when every player that could help us is rumored to be on the Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays, Nationals, Mets, etc radar. We are never mentioned in the equation.

It's hard damn work being a Brewers fan.

I’ve stopped reading those things. Mostly because they’re skewed to the teams you’ve listed and also because our last two GMs seem to keep everything on lock down. Saves me from wasting my time or getting mad.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's frustrating when every player that could help us is rumored to be on the Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays, Nationals, Mets, etc radar. We are never mentioned in the equation.

Brewers are also one of the most tight lipped organizations out there so rumors hardly ever get leaked. But yeah, I hear what you’re saying.

Imagine how frustrating it must be being a fan of the Blue Jays or Mets (or Phillies or Giants or Angels or Tigers or Rangers or Mariners or Rockies or Orioles or Royals or Twins or Diamondbacks or Reds) to see your favorite team spend all kinds of money & they still can't even win as many game as the lowly Milwaukee Brewers have over the last five years.

As shocking as this might be, no mention of the Brewers, but the Pirates are checking in...

According to Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic, the Pirates will be present at Corey Kluber's workout on January 13.

It's already been reported that the Red Sox, Nationals, Mets, and Diamondbacks will be there, and a number of other teams figure to send reps as well. Kluber is looking to prove his health after being limited to one inning of work last season with the Rangers because of a Grade 2 teres major muscle strain in his right shoulder. Pittsburgh is probably an unlikely fit for the 34-year-old former two-time AL Cy Young Award winner.

RELATED: Pittsburgh Pirates

SOURCE: Rob Biertempfel on Twitter

Jan 7, 2021, 8:46 AM ET

this is so on point FA for a Brewers fan can get you sick and Frustrating.

we need a Salary Cap or else this will always be the way for the Brewers fans.

In order for a salary cap you to happen you will have to sit through years of no MLB because the players are not going to agree to this. MLB tried to implement a salary cap but it ended up in the players striking and almost killing MLB.

Corey Kluber is a 35 year old pitcher who has thrown 36 innings with a 5.65 ERA the last two years. Let someone else pay him to most likely be hurt or of limited effectiveness.

I don't find it frustrating in the least that the Brewers aren't mentioned among the interested teams.

Stearns & company have an established track record of putting together competitive rosters on a shoestring budget & for me personally its been thoroughly enjoyable to watch them win more games than seventeen of the twenty five teams that have outspent them over the last five years.

In order for a salary cap you to happen you will have to sit through years of no MLB because the players are not going to agree to this. MLB tried to implement a salary cap but it ended up in the players striking and almost killing MLB.

If it meant an NFL-type revenue-sharing agreement, I'd 100 pct be for going a full year or even 18 months without any baseball.

The NFL is what it is in large part because Wellington Mara agreed to revenue sharing. Otherwise, MAYBE Milwaukee has an NFL team that's on par with the Jaguars, but GB likely doesn't.

This would level the playing field in the sport and would more than makeup for the damage done by the strike.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I’d look more at the Chris Archer types. Like Kluber with terrific career numbers but recent ineffectiveness and injury problems. Difference being Archer is substantially younger and won’t be able to demand the money Kluber will.

I’d be interested in Taijuan Walker but I think we only sign severe value propositions. If we can get somebody at a steep discount on a short deal, that could be a path. Our FO’s thought process invariably goes back to identifying opportunities arising from inefficiencies in the market. Go where the herd isn’t.

Chris McCosky of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers will be among the teams at Corey Kluber's free agent showcase on Wednesday in Florida.

It sounds like just about every MLB team will at least send a representative. Detroit is in rebuilding mode, so it's not the most logical fit, though Kluber could be seen as a kind of veteran mentor for the club's young pitching prospects. The 34-year-old former two-time AL Cy Young Award winner made just one appearance for the Rangers in 2020 before going down with a Grade 2 teres major muscle (shoulder) strain.

RELATED: Detroit Tigers

SOURCE: Chris McCosky on Twitter

Jan 12, 2021, 7:18 PM ET

Britt Ghiroli of The Athletic hears that there were "upwards of 25 teams" at Corey Kluber's free agent showcase on Wednesday morning in Florida.

ESPN's Jeff Passan adds that "scouts came away impressed" after watching Kluber throw around 30 pitches from a mound while sitting 88-90 mph with his fastball. The veteran right-hander was limited to one inning in 2020 because of a Grade 2 teres major muscle strain in his throwing shoulder and also logged just 35 2/3 innings in 2019 due to a fractured arm and oblique issue, so he's trying to prove his health in this already-unforgiving market. He figures to get at least a handful of offers given the high level of interest.

SOURCE: Britt Ghiroli on Twitter

Jan 13, 2021, 11:36 AM ET

Archived