Brewer Fanatic

Any real talk or Rumors for the Crew

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Brewers were able to trade both Hader and Garcia, that would drop about $17 million from payroll which would probably be enough to sign Ozuna. You could then go out and sign a guy like La Stella to play 3B. That would go a long way in fixing the offense I would think.

While leaving an enormous hole in the pen. They'd also be selling low on Garcia, which very much is not Stearns's MO. I'm also not sure what Ozuna is going to give you that Garcia cannot. Garcia has been a solid major league player for a substantial enough amount of time for me to believe that the player we say in 2020 is not who he actually is. I think we need to get out of this concrete "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Garcia is, in theory, a similar bat to Ozuna, but with much, much better defense. It just happens that Ozuna had a much better year offensively last year, so the assumption is he's a much better player, when the reality of the situation, at least IMO, is that they are closer in talent level than the above thought leads one to believe.

I want no part of Ozuna but Garcia has been a below average player most of his career. He has had two good seasons with the rest of his career being bad and I'm sure the Brewers would take nothing in return just to get rid of that contract.

I think you are putting thoughts into the front office's head that simply aren't there. Reason and simple logic dictate that they wouldn't have signed Garcia to the deal they did if they were willing to dump him after 60 games played in the weirdest season in MLB history. This is exactly that "what have you done for me lately" mentality that fans always have, but that I'm extremely glad that the team's front office doesn't share.

• 2 weeks later...
Please please please... I need something! Just a little nugget from someone indicating that something is on the near horizon. I need a rumor/insider-info fix. Please please please.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2021/02/02/brewers-budget-limits-big-offseason-signings-deals/4352348001/

While Haudricourt has no scoops on any rumors, there is this. Perhaps I should put this on the 2021 Pessimism thread :rolleyes

Such a bullspit excuse. The fan base comes out in huge amounts when the team makes "noteworthy" moves. There's a brand new TV deal coming...Mark is selling or did sell some of his other business. There's money there....go spend it on a bat and quit making up excuses.

Such a bullspit excuse. The fan base comes out in huge amounts when the team makes "noteworthy" moves. There's a brand new TV deal coming...Mark is selling or did sell some of his other business. There's money there....go spend it on a bat and quit making up excuses.

The pandemic is still going on. There's no guarantee fans are even going to be able to get into the stadium for awhile. I don't think anyone is "making up" anything. The Brewers are far from the only MLB team that has failed to attack the off-season.

Please please please... I need something! Just a little nugget from someone indicating that something is on the near horizon. I need a rumor/insider-info fix. Please please please.

Going off of Stearns latest words, were gonna be waiting awhile... If they even sign anyone meaningful.

The pandemic is still going on. There's no guarantee fans are even going to be able to get into the stadium for awhile. I don't think anyone is "making up" anything. The Brewers are far from the only MLB team that has failed to attack the off-season.

Attack the off-season and filling the roster are two completely different things. They haven’t done anything other than Robertson. Nothing. I’m not asking for an attack... just some justifiable roster moves that will improve our offense. We finally have a pitching rotation that doesn’t cost jack squat. We are going to waste this opportunity by sending out an offenn N se that will have a hard time averaging 3.25 runs per game.

Get ready for a lot of 4-2, 3-0 ballgames.

Attack the off-season and filling the roster are two completely different things. They haven’t done anything other than Robertson. Nothing. I’m not asking for an attack... just some justifiable roster moves that will improve our offense. We finally have a pitching rotation that doesn’t cost jack squat. We are going to waste this opportunity by sending out an offenn N se that will have a hard time averaging 3.25 runs per game.

Get ready for a lot of 4-2, 3-0 ballgames.

Yea its too bad were gonna waste this pitching staff, all we need is 1B and 3B and we can absolutely complete in the NL.

We are going to waste this opportunity by sending out an offense that will have a hard time averaging 3.25 runs per game.

The last team that couldn't eke out 3.25 runs per game was the 2013 Marlins.

I'm fairly confident the 2021 Brewers, even as presently constituted, should clear that number pretty easily. They averaged 4.12 in 2020, you really think they'll be almost a whole run worse than that?

As unexciting as it may be, the offense improving over their 2020 output is going to be primarily determined by to what extent the returning players can perform closer to their projected median outcomes...

Omar | 2020 ZiPS OPS+: 106 | 2020 actual OPS+: 53 | 2021 ZiPS OPS+: 94

Urias | 2020 ZiPS OPS+: 95 | 2020 actual OPS+: 64 | 2021 ZiPS OPS+: 90

Avisail | 2020 ZiPS OPS+: 107 | 2020 actual OPS+: 79 | 2021 ZiPS OPS+: 98

Hiura | 2020 ZiPS OPS+: 115 | 2020 actual OPS+: 88 | 2021 ZiPS OPS+: 102

Yelich | 2020 ZiPS OPS+: 149 | 2020 actual OPS+: 111 | 2021 ZiPS OPS+: 135

For discussion's sake, if the Brewers were to sign Mitch Moreland or CJ Cron for 1B and Travis Shaw or Jake Lamb for 3B, would that move the needle for you?

Unfortunately, these are the type of moves left for the Brewers to add depth at the corner IF positions.

Out of those players, Cron would be a big help versus LHP, otherwise none of them provide much more than we already have, other than some needed depth and insurance. Moreland becomes a bigger asset if there's a DH so Mitch can play 1st while Vogelbach DHs.

2018-20 vs. RHP:

pvvTQdE.png

2018-20 vs. LHP:

qFjeRlJ.png

Maybe sign Kolten Wong for a year and move Hiura over to 1B? I am not sure if Wong has the arm to play 3B but maybe that is an out of the box type of an idea to look at for 3B. Preferably Wong at 2B would be a better idea as he is an excellent defensive player at 2B. Offensively he is about average the Brewers could also trade Hiura for help at 3B also and then sign Wong on a 1 or 2-year deal. He shouldn't cost all that much maybe about $5m a season at the most.

Maybe even do something like Hiura, Turang and Small for Chapman. I am not sure that is something the A's would do but I think that is close to Chapman's value. Then all the Brewers would have to do is sign Moreland to play 1B and the team should be good to go offensively. Possibly make one more signing if the budget allows it and get someone like Aaron Sanchez or Taijuan Walker.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2021/02/02/brewers-budget-limits-big-offseason-signings-deals/4352348001/

While Haudricourt has no scoops on any rumors, there is this. Perhaps I should put this on the 2021 Pessimism thread :rolleyes

If the Brewers did lose 70-90 million last year, they are likely to lose money again this year and we could be looking at several upcoming seasons with a payroll of 80 million. Big question is will pretty much every team in the league cut payroll by 20% over the next few seasons as well?

Also very interesting to see that Stearns is talking about Hiura playing first base. Probably a pretty decent bet that if Hiura doesn't show any improvement with the glove this year, that he'll be moving to 1B in 2022. Really wouldn't be all that surprising to see him get some starts here and there this year considering Vogelbach can't hit lefty pitching at all. Wouldn't be all that surprised to see Vogelbach (1B)-Hiura (2B)-Urias (3B) against righties and Hiura (1B) - Urias (2B) - Robertson (3B) against lefties.

Frankly with the owners looking to move back the season due to the pandemic,, and the players Union expressing their attention to report in order to be ready for a traditional start to the season, I’m not so sure we’re going to have baseball all summer.

I am 100% sure before the Brewers sign anyone to more than a minimum deal they are going to wait until the short term labor issues are resolved and they know when the season is starting.

I am 100% sure before the Brewers sign anyone to more than a minimum deal they are going to wait until the short term labor issues are resolved and they know when the season is starting.

This is pretty much exactly it & its been fairly apparent for months on account of the pandemic, which is why all the do something consternation has been even more of a head scratcher for me.

Frankly with the owners looking to move back the season due to the pandemic,, and the players Union expressing their attention to report in order to be ready for a traditional start to the season, I’m not so sure we’re going to have baseball all summer.

Why wouldn't we have baseball this summer? They proved last year they could play through a pandemic.

Yeah I thought this was settled a few days ago when the union rejected the owner’s latest proposal and it was announced the season would start on time and there would be no universal DH, etc? So what would Stearns be waiting for at this point? Another counter offer from the owners?

Yeah I thought this was settled a few days ago when the union rejected the owner’s latest proposal and it was announced the season would start on time and there would be no universal DH, etc?

Correct, Spring training starts in two weeks and regular season starts on 4/1.

Yeah I thought this was settled a few days ago when the union rejected the owner’s latest proposal and it was announced the season would start on time and there would be no universal DH, etc?

Correct, Spring training starts in two weeks and regular season starts on 4/1.

It's a negotiation where the first offer was rejected; I don't recall hearing the owners say they were giving up. Only that the player's union rejected the first offer and stated they will continue to prepare for the beginning of the season as scheduled, which is nothing more than what you'd expect them to say to keep their leverage.

With the patchwork regulations across the country re: in-person gatherings I'm sure it is somewhat important to the owners to mitigate the anticipated loss of playing with no paying fans or far fewer fans than are typical. With the acrimony of last season, it is probably good for both sides to work something out so they have at least some common ground as the current labor agreement expires later this year.

This sounds like the Owners have resigned themselves to the 162 game schedule.

“In light of the MLBPA’s rejection of our proposal, and their refusal to counter our revised offer this afternoon, we are moving forward and instructing our Clubs to report for an on-time start to Spring Training and the Championship Season, subject to reaching an agreement on health and safety protocols,” the league said in its own statement.

Archived