Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? 2021

hawing

Still, our team still struggles to get employees to increase the number of hours past 40 when we have a huge workload. We are only asking for 45-50hr weeks from time to time, so it isn't completely unreasonable. They are all salary, but our company can pay significant quarterly bonuses when it is profitable quarter for the company (could be possibly 10% of their yearly salary in a quarter).

Ah bonuses, I've heard of those. Does anyone will receive them?

In 30 years, (with one exception) I received two - at my first job - $25 each. We were working 55 hours a week. The owner was closer to a billionaire than a millionaire.

Wife designs clothes for kohls corp and became a manager a few years back. She gets between 7 and 25 percent of her yearly salary.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filled the hole with spackle, hung up some reflective streamers, and the damn woodpecker hasn't been back since.

I'm sure our neighbors wonder what the hell I'm doing with streamers hung up high on my garage, but it seems to be working...................for now.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Still, our team still struggles to get employees to increase the number of hours past 40 when we have a huge workload. We are only asking for 45-50hr weeks from time to time, so it isn't completely unreasonable. They are all salary, but our company can pay significant quarterly bonuses when it is profitable quarter for the company (could be possibly 10% of their yearly salary in a quarter).

Ah bonuses, I've heard of those. Does anyone will receive them?

In 30 years, (with one exception) I received two - at my first job - $25 each. We were working 55 hours a week. The owner was closer to a billionaire than a millionaire.

Wife designs clothes for kohls corp and became a manager a few years back. She gets between 7 and 25 percent of her yearly salary.

I can receive a 0-20% bonus of my salary each year and it typically is around 10%. Highest I've gotten is 15%.

My company also has adhoc awards that managers can hand out for work over and above. Most people on my team get at least one per year and they range from $200-$1000.

Employees can also give each other a "thank you" award for $25. The manager approves it and there is a short write-up for what it is for. It encourages people to help each other and reward each other. Each employee is maxed at giving 5 awards per year.

That is pretty neat with the employee taking some ownership to the award.

I just think about the people who make way more money than my wife and the size bonus they will get. Last year we were able to use her bonus to pay off an entire basement remodel with half bath addition. That was pretty awesome.

Was complaining to other staff today how our bathrooms at school keep being super messy and kids are flushing stuff down the toilets...just not typical of our school. Anyway, just found out the month of September has a 'tik tok school challenge' to mess up the school bathrooms. What. In. The. World.

Is the owner a millennial? Cause that’s the guy failing in that situation. If they need people working 45-50 hours one has to find out what will motivate the workers to do so. Maybe that is money, but maybe it is something else. Many people don’t like bonuses, especially attached to profits. There are just so many variables and many have nothing to do with the employees actual work. You think the IT guy wants a bonus based on how the sales department did? Anyone I know who gets bonuses aren’t even excited when that time of the year rolls around. They are always expecting the worst and one crummy bonus rubs them the wrong way for a long time.

What is even the purpose of finding people not solely motivated by money? Shouldn’t they just find the best employees possible that will help maximize the profits/success of the company? If you don’t want people motivated by money, fine I guess, but then they are motivated by something else. Seems like whatever motivates them isn’t being provided, at least not to work over 40 hours a week.

The owners are all Gen-Xers. It's a little better that the bonuses are once a quarter, but still. Yea, I get what they are trying to do, but I agree with what you said about motivation. I've advocated for increasing everyone's base salary and reducing the bonus system in the past and have been shot down.

I don't really like big bonuses because they are just that...a bonus and you can't count on them to consistently be there. If I wanted to be an owner and have a salary that fluctuated, then I would have signed up for that...but I hate taking risk. I basically have just been chucking most of every bonus I've ever gotten at our mortgage and 401k/Roth IRAs and pretended I never got them. I'm hoping that an early payoff on our mortgage will help make it so bonuses don't affect the month to month cashflow.

I can receive a 0-20% bonus of my salary each year and it typically is around 10%. Highest I've gotten is 15%.

My company also has adhoc awards that managers can hand out for work over and above. Most people on my team get at least one per year and they range from $200-$1000.

Employees can also give each other a "thank you" award for $25. The manager approves it and there is a short write-up for what it is for. It encourages people to help each other and reward each other. Each employee is maxed at giving 5 awards per year.

I like this idea. I wonder if it something we could build into our team. I think helping peers is one way to motivate without a huge amount of money.

Was complaining to other staff today how our bathrooms at school keep being super messy and kids are flushing stuff down the toilets...just not typical of our school. Anyway, just found out the month of September has a 'tik tok school challenge' to mess up the school bathrooms. What. In. The. World.

We’ve already had issues here in our school/town. I heard that October’s challenge is “Slap a Staff Member.”

*sigh* o-boy…..

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

We’ve already had issues here in our school/town. I heard that October’s challenge is “Slap a Staff Member.”

*sigh* o-boy…..

Yup, same here.

I also read that another tik tok challenge is going to be loosen the lug nuts on teacher's cars.

That is pretty disgusting. Then we are getting away from assault, vandalism and theft and straight into attempted murder.

I have 150 school days left in my teaching career, I simply can't wait to be done...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

There are a couple of co-workers I know that could use a good slap. Jokes aside, this stuff is so, so dumb.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not going to lie, I get a pretty good laugh out of the thought of 'slap a staff member challenge'....but I also don't work at a school nor do I have Tiktok aged kids, so I don't have much to lose.

The problem is quite a few of the videos are jokes the teacher or whoever agreed to take part in, but the thousands watching it thinking it is legit. Theeeen not so funny.

First time I had to lay some people off and that discussion is just horrible and I am not even supposed to be doing this but everyone got put under me due to my boss being on leave and me being the team lead.

I had to do that earlier this year and I agree it's no fun at all. I even think I posted earlier in this thread about it looking for advice. I will say that our team has been better since laying off that particular individual.

Still, our team still struggles to get employees to increase the number of hours past 40 when we have a huge workload. We are only asking for 45-50hr weeks from time to time, so it isn't completely unreasonable. They are all salary, but our company can pay significant quarterly bonuses when it is profitable quarter for the company (could be possibly 10% of their yearly salary in a quarter). Bonus size potential is something I've been told I can't directly disclose to them either. The owners want people to figure this out on their own and reward the people that are not motivated solely by money. I've been there over 9 years, so I have figured this out. Millennials. Ugh? Wait, I'm a millennial. Ugh to my generation.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 2 weeks later...

My Mom died in August 2019 and my Dad died in March 2020. Back in May of this year I filed a final tax return for my deceased Dad (filing deadline was extended due to COVID). In early September I received a 5071C letter stating I needed to verify ID. It stated I should do this online, but if I prefer to call it also gave me a number. I was unclear if they wanted to verify my ID (as representative of the estate) or my Dad's ID. It requires you to set up a IRS login to verify. I already had a login under my name so I tried that first and it appeared that the letter was not in connection to my ID. So, I tried to set up an account for my Dad. I used 2 different addresses when attempting this. First, my address (as that is what was used on the tax return) and then my Dad's last address before his death. Each time it stated that there is an issue detected that is not allowing me to set up an account and verify ID online for this individual and that I will need to call.

So, I called the number. I called several times. Each time, after listening to 2.5 minutes of information it then says please hold while we connect you and then I get a message that states due to high volume we can not connect your call at this time, please try again later or on the next business day. So, after many days of trying this, I looked up the local IRS center and called that number. That number is basically a recording that states they can't talk to anyone on the phone and that if I want to make an appointment that I should call another number. I call the other number, and again, after a minute or two of listening to useless information it states it will now connect me, then, I get the same message regarding not being able to connect my call due to high call volume.

I understand I am one of many experiencing issues because of short staffing, not only with the IRS but other areas of life. However, it feels like I'm trying to get in to see the Great OZ! I'm willing to stay on hold for 5 hours if needed. There should be some solution other than having to keep calling and hoping that you are the lucky caller that gets through. How about, like what many private companies do, a system that allows the IRS to call me back (and provides a reference # so I know it's not a scam)? At the very least, let me know right when I call that there is high call volume and they can not connect me rather than making me sit through 2+ minutes of useless info before it tells me to try again.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My Mom died in August 2019 and my Dad died in March 2020. Back in May of this year I filed a final tax return for my deceased Dad (filing deadline was extended due to COVID). In early September I received a 5071C letter stating I needed to verify ID. It stated I should do this online, but if I prefer to call it also gave me a number. I was unclear if they wanted to verify my ID (as representative of the estate) or my Dad's ID. It requires you to set up a IRS login to verify. I already had a login under my name so I tried that first and it appeared that the letter was not in connection to my ID. So, I tried to set up an account for my Dad. I used 2 different addresses when attempting this. First, my address (as that is what was used on the tax return) and then my Dad's last address before his death. Each time it stated that there is an issue detected that is not allowing me to set up an account and verify ID online for this individual and that I will need to call.

So, I called the number. I called several times. Each time, after listening to 2.5 minutes of information it then says please hold while we connect you and then I get a message that states due to high volume we can not connect your call at this time, please try again later or on the next business day. So, after many days of trying this, I looked up the local IRS center and called that number. That number is basically a recording that states they can't talk to anyone on the phone and that if I want to make an appointment that I should call another number. I call the other number, and again, after a minute or two of listening to useless information it states it will now connect me, then, I get the same message regarding not being able to connect my call due to high call volume.

I understand I am one of many experiencing issues because of short staffing, not only with the IRS but other areas of life. However, it feels like I'm trying to get in to see the Great OZ! I'm willing to stay on hold for 5 hours if needed. There should be some solution other than having to keep calling and hoping that you are the lucky caller that gets through. How about, like what many private companies do, a system that allows the IRS to call me back (and provides a reference # so I know it's not a scam)? At the very least, let me know right when I call that there is high call volume and they can not connect me rather than making me sit through 2+ minutes of useless info before it tells me to try again.

Don't worry, pretty soon you'll be getting threatening letters saying you need to take care of this ASAP. I had to deal with the IRS because of an issue with my former employer a few years ago and it took 18 months to be resolved.

Don't worry, pretty soon you'll be getting threatening letters saying you need to take care of this ASAP. I had to deal with the IRS because of an issue with my former employer a few years ago and it took 18 months to be resolved.

That is rather fast and quick for the IRS to do something. Usually it takes longer especially if they are at fault for any part of said issue.

Saw some web site that suggested I call the IRS right when they open (7am) or right before they close (7pm). So, I called at 6:45 and I actually got put into a waiting queue! However, it said approximate wait time 15-30 minutes. I'm still on hold. It's been 40 minutes. So, do they actually take calls after 7 if you were put in the queue prior to 7? I mean, logically they would just end your call at 7 and tell you to call back the next day, right? They wouldn't just leave you hanging on hold with hold music and a voice that chimes in every 3 minutes or so saying "our representative are still busy with other customers, please continue to hold", thinking someone is still going to answer your call, would they? Not the government, right? Ok, 45 minutes and counting now!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Saw some web site that suggested I call the IRS right when they open (7am) or right before they close (7pm). So, I called at 6:45 and I actually got put into a waiting queue! However, it said approximate wait time 15-30 minutes. I'm still on hold. It's been 40 minutes. So, do they actually take calls after 7 if you were put in the queue prior to 7? I mean, logically they would just end your call at 7 and tell you to call back the next day, right? They wouldn't just leave you hanging on hold with hold music and a voice that chimes in every 3 minutes or so saying "our representative are still busy with other customers, please continue to hold", thinking someone is still going to answer your call, would they? Not the government, right? Ok, 45 minutes and counting now!

Edit: Someone actually finally answered about 5 minutes after I posted this. She ended up telling me that she could not talk to me until I filled out a form 56 to show that I'm a fiduciary for my Dad and send it in via USPS and then wait 30 days to call back. *Sigh*

My company just raised its minimum wage from $14 to $16 per hour, but also cut the company match on 401(k) contributions from 5% to 4% to partially offset the cost. So much for loyalty.

There is a business I often go to for work and they never give people raises because, "We pay 100% of your healthcare premium...who else does that?". So they think they treat people like royalty for that reason alone.

Spoiler, the employees don't feel that way.

My health care premiums are very reasonable. It’s the high deductible and out-of-pocket max that make health care expenses unpredictable.

I know all about that. My wife's a teacher and we have her plan. Decent premium, but a 3,000 deductable.

I blew mine away lately. I had an "accident" almost 6 weeks ago and flash-burned both arms and forearms. 2nd degree burns all over. Put my big payment on an easy payment plan out of my HSA and now I'm free to go to the hospital as much as I want. :laughing

The urologist wanted to to an internal scan on my bladder, so I don't have to put that off now.

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.