Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? 2021

hawing

I've done men's groups through church as well as singles groups and I can't recommend them enough--really great way to make friends. And !definitely! better than defaulting to the bar.

I've only been thinking of alternatives to those because only being able to attend once or twice per month just doesn't cut it. Hence the country club with attached social events/meetings where maybe the same people are there even if I can only be there random times. $4000-$4500/year on my mini-golf salary isn't great, though. The only other one around with social stuff is closed Mon/Tues, and those are my usual days off.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend's dad builds houses. She overheard him getting a price on 1/2 inch OSB sheets and they were $50.

I know for our business we cancelled one building project because of the insane prices.

That is INSANE. I paid $30 for 1/2" OSB sheets last August and I thought I was getting ripped off at the time. I also accidentally bought 5 too many which are sitting unused, might have been a better investment than the stock market!

I can already see that people's spending patterns are going to rapidly shift back to travel and social gatherings in the second half of 2021 so I bet the market will correct.

Lumber futures are now 1/3rd of what they were two months ago. Pre-pandemic they were $200-$400 and now are down to $550. The Home Depot nearest me - according to Home Depot's website - has over 1,000 sheets of 7/16 OSB. Retail prices haven't started coming down yet, but I read (and see) that inventories are building and prices will start dropping soon.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've done men's groups through church as well as singles groups and I can't recommend them enough--really great way to make friends. And !definitely! better than defaulting to the bar.

I've only been thinking of alternatives to those because only being able to attend once or twice per month just doesn't cut it. Hence the country club with attached social events/meetings where maybe the same people are there even if I can only be there random times. $4000-$4500/year on my mini-golf salary isn't great, though. The only other one around with social stuff is closed Mon/Tues, and those are my usual days off.

Is there a service org near you like the Rotary or Lions or Elks or something like that?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've thought of those charity organizations but they seem to all be the somewhat-occasional thing.

I think I'm gonna do it and then I can always re-evaluate after a year. My only real hesitation has been being able to save enough money for retirement, but maybe I'm overthinking the need for that too much. Plus I'll have my hot dog cart making money next Spring (as well as being a money-maker post retirement).

Trying to count multiple values (think "or") in a column in Google Sheets. Not multiple conditions - multiple values - without having to use a whole bunch of countif statements. There has to be a simple way of doing that. Google has been no help at all because every search return is multiple conditions not multiple values. Think of a column of data where 1000 people list the breed of dog that they own and I'm trying to count how many there are of any of 10 different breeds. I'm not trying to count how many of each breed; just how many there are of any of 10 different breeds. Hopefully that makes sense, because it doesn't to Google.

Trying to count multiple values (think "or") in a column in Google Sheets. Not multiple conditions - multiple values - without having to use a whole bunch of countif statements. There has to be a simple way of doing that. Google has been no help at all because every search return is multiple conditions not multiple values. Think of a column of data where 1000 people list the breed of dog that they own and I'm trying to count how many there are of any of 10 different breeds. I'm not trying to count how many of each breed; just how many there are of any of 10 different breeds. Hopefully that makes sense, because it doesn't to Google.

This would be easy doing it in Alteryx but I am assuming your company doesn't have Alteryx it can be very expensive for a license. The only other thing I can think of is using a pivot table and then doing a count off of the information you want.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Something like this?

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093198?hl=en

I think it returns a row for each unique value so you'd still have to count the rows.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

You could also copy all of the information from the column that you want in another sheet and then remove duplicates and then do a countif formula using the unique fields. Which is more work then selecting all of your data and then inserting a pivot table. I am assuming you are using excel and not just Google Sheets otherwise you will have to do the unique thing that homer posted.

Excel + Pivot table is the easiest way to do this if you don't have a tool like Alteryx, R, Python or Tableau to do this. There is a way to do this in VBA if you just have excel but that is long and complicated.

Thanks, guys. Unfortunately, it's a Google Sheets document created by my boss and it's part of a summary tab. (No, it isn't breeds of dogs, it's proprietary, but the breeds of dogs example is very comparable to what I need to do.) From what you've said, I think it's just easier to create a function with 10 countifs.

Good to know about Alteryx, might be time to buy stock in them.

Mostly not since they trusted I was taking them the right way, me being the Ranger and all. We walked about a mile more and then hit a landmark I recognized. The landmark also hits an access road where we stopped and I called to get picked up. Once we stopped I told the kids what I'd done. I felt an inch tall but the kids were good about it, just tired. I only had to carry one of them.

I'll be hearing about this at every training for a while, though:)

The Olympics have a sponsored ad on Facebook that I see every time I go in:

*Simon Biles Picture*

“Never Miss the Action”

Im not criticizing here for dropping out…but the caption with a picture of her kind of annoys me and makes me chuckle at the same time.

So I'm applying for that golf club and I'm not a member yet. I need to existing members to sponsor me (to say I'm a cool guy and they should accept me) and I've gotten one couple so far, plus then the board meets to formally approve the application. So that means participating in order to meet people. The salesmanlady has asked me to give her a head's up when I want to come, which is plenty understandable so I'm not just some weirdo stranger walking around. But yesterday they sent me the monthly bill. Why am I getting a bill if I'm not a member yet? A friend wanted to go there and play today, but I said no since I'm not a member yet and inviting a guest seemed like pushing it. But if I'm paying membership dues maybe I should be able to do that. I'm not really sure how frustrated/upset I should be by this, as well as how I might broach this with the salesmanlady without coming across as rude (I'm still trying to make a good impression to be accepted).

Also went to the golf club store and holy cow. They had a super-intro set for $250, the kind you buy for your teenager who may quit playing in a year, and then the next step up was $1200. They had absolutely nothing in-between. And this was a huge store. Even their used club selection was more than that. Ended up spending three weeks' salary for a full set plus extensions. I sure hope this isn't a mistake. Though good news is the three people I met at the club were super nice, and three of them I think I'll be golfing with a lot.

The lady said I didn't come across like a police officer. She meant it like I didn't have that aggressive/focused sorta demeanor. I told her I could start yelling at her if it would make her feel better, but she declined:)

Out walking the dog today and I see a lady with her dog off leash in a school playground/baseball diamond. Dog is taking a dump while she is determinedly looking down. I call to her and tell her the dog is pooping over there and she yells thank you but doesn't budge. This dog is half a football field away from her and I know full well she has no intention of getting it. I watch for a while and sure enough the dog leaves the spot and she just goes on looking at her phone. It's bad enough to leave a dog pile anywhere let alone a school playground. Unfortunately I didn't have my phone with me or I'd have taken her picture and told her it's going on facebook unless she cleans it up now. As it was I went back a little while later, found it (It wasn't all that hard since it was close to the second base bag) and cleaned it up. I knew she had no intention of cleaning it up.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm a little late to the party, but this sounds like the perfect situation for an array formula. They are easier to write and troubleshoot if you export it to Excel first...but they are fully supported in Google sheets. I have completely abandoned doing countif and sumif statements as they are clunky, unintuitive, difficult to troubleshoot (as you can't see what is in the black box) and simply weak and not powerful. I do this sort of this for work all the time and have been dubbed the Excel guru at work. I'm trying to find a good example but am struggling as it requires parts of multiple videos. I think I would be better off just writing it and sharing with you. Let me know if you are interested. I may just do something quick now. These are fun little puzzles for me.

The formula will probably entail something like =sum(if criteria...(likely a match is going to be in there,1 (this part only gets activated if the criteria is met)). You can always highlight the criteria and press f9 to see what is going on in the black box when things get complicated. You just would need to enter this with control plus shift plus enter.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fidjBGyZuv93SFNhyptpanG_u1rXmuIHV7K1TnqtM-Q/edit?usp=sharing

Here is what I came up with. It is very crude...but I think it does exactly what you want. I tried to make it very customizable. It is possible to make it more elaborate with dropdowns. Let me know if you have any questions on this.

Picking up food for carry out.,,, bill is $28.65. Pay $30 in cash and say keep it. Waitress rolls her eyes and says yeah, thanks.

I am not in habit of tipping for carry out…. There is no special extra service being provided. I drove, went in, went directly to them and paid enough and extra. Yet, is it better to ask/expect exact change than to give the extra, be it not much, to the restaurant?

Picking up food for carry out.,,, bill is $28.65. Pay $30 in cash and say keep it. Waitress rolls her eyes and says yeah, thanks.

I am not in habit of tipping for carry out…. There is no special extra service being provided. I drove, went in, went directly to them and paid enough and extra. Yet, is it better to ask/expect exact change than to give the extra, be it not much, to the restaurant?

Tipping is something I wish went away. I get why she wasn't thrilled though I don't blame you. Covid changed the dine in takeout ratio yet the minimum wages for servers hasn't changed to match the change.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

We've generally tipped on carry-out orders the same as if we'd have been in the restaurant during the pandemic. Though it's obviously a personal preference. Servers/restaurants got hit very hard during the pandemic and haven't fully recovered, so I feel it is a good thing to do. But, certainly not something that should be 'expected' by a person giving you the food.

I am watching LLWS baseball and have already seen like 3-4 instant replay reviews on bang bang plays or stuff that is brutally obvious and a waste of time.

Mind you this is still regionals...not even the true LLWS yet.

I have never tipped for carry-out and for that reason didn't start due to COVID. Sorry server, but the exact reason I am getting take-out is so I don't have to tip you. I have never gotten a look or negative energy for doing it though. They never seem to care.

• 2 weeks later...