Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? 2021

hawing

Why won't anyone work on Kenmore?

From what I have read online, the parts are hard to come by and it's just a nightmare to work with...or something. But hey, Sears said they could get a guy here on April 27th. Cuz...you know, I can go 3 weeks without a fridge with two kids under 2.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Materials shortages are also having an impact both due to shipping and factory disruptions as well as rapid changes in demand. I'm racing to get a window estimate because they are adding a surcharge Friday to their prices and they already are saying the windows wouldn't be available until July.

Labor shortages too; even though lots of people were laid off, some people with serious medical risks didn't want to go to work because of COVID risks. Major materials shortages because of not only supply chain disruptions but because of so many natural and man-made (i.e. riots) disasters the last two years.

For windows and patio doors, check with Home Depot. They did a patio door for me a year ago, did a good job, and were at least 20% cheaper than any other quote I got. A windows/door company wanted $4500 but HD did it for $3300 (it was expensive because it's on the 4th floor and needed a special door because of jamb width and having a breakdown door so it could be brought up four flights of stairs).

Heck, my Zillow value went up 6% just in the last week. It’s crazy out there.

Ahhh, you just reminded me that it's usually the first week of April when the city of Madison updates home assessment values. I just peeked and ours is still on 2020...for now.

I have a whole other thing bugging me, though. One of my library tasks is fielding questions that people ask via the Contact Us buttons on our agency website. Mostly I weed out spam mail, leave reference questions for my reference colleagues, and answer questions that are "my turf."

One this week was from a guy who wondered if we have old/discarded cards from our card catalog. He went to school here in the 90s and would like a few. That is actually a project I've been working on during the pandemic (weeding our remaining card catalog drawers), so I said sure I can send him a handful.

He gives me his address and asks for any handwritten cards. My library predates typewriters, and there's a slim chance we have some handwritten cards, but on our current skeleton-crew schedule I do not have time to hunt for something like that. So I mailed out a handful and sent him a heads-up that it was leaving today and was a random grab of cards because only a few people are working on-site lately and there is no time to hunt through our boxes of scrap cards looking for anything particular.

So he replies right away: Thanks! Were there any handwritten cards?

*facepalm* WHAT DID I JUST SAY?

Ultimately, I said it was unlikely. He seems to have accepted that but sweet jebus I wish people would read what I write to them more often than they do.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

We just finished re-marking 25 miles of hiking trails, which means nailing in the new ones and pulling out the old. I just came back from being out six hours to do maybe 1.5 miles of trail because the last boss had a marker put up every 10 steps. I counted. I'm a big fan of signs and markers, but that's just overkill. On top of it, it's hot outside and the first post I see is Hawing's kool-aid pitcher.

Community Moderator

Based on what we paid last year I think the going rate for a bathroom renovation is in the ~$50K range in my location. Labor adds up fast when minimum wage is $16/hr. Materials are absurd also -- lumber has doubled since the start of the pandemic.

My house was built in 1940 so there's bound to be work to do, but I can't stand how 90% of new construction is designed. Gigantic, unwelcoming boxes with almost no yard space, cheap materials, wasted square footage everywhere. Old houses lack closet space (fixed that with the reno) but I don't need 5 walk-in closets either...

I’m terrified to get a quote on any home improvements these days. When I bought my home 6 years ago, I figured it would cost $10K to add a bathroom in the basement. Now I’m sure it’s $20K. Heck, my Zillow value went up 6% just in the last week. It’s crazy out there.

This is accurate. We were fortunate to have done a basement remodel and kitchen remodel right before everything hit last year. We added a half bath in the basement where they had to dig up the 'crete and it ran about 6k. However, we had my wife's dad's company do it and he doesn't charge labor for us.

Our furnace and AC unit are 19 years old and I’m considering replacing them preemptively before costs go up. It’d also be a good way to deploy the cash we’ve stashed this year. I’m concerned it’s going to get eaten up by inflation.

My house was built in 1940 so there's bound to be work to do, but I can't stand how 90% of new construction is designed. Gigantic, unwelcoming boxes with almost no yard space, cheap materials, wasted square footage everywhere. Old houses lack closet space (fixed that with the reno) but I don't need 5 walk-in closets either...

I hear ya. My house is ~1700 sq ft (plenty of room for 3 of us), but I wish I could wave a magic wand and re-allocate the space. I’d downsize our master suite and living room in favor of adding another small bedroom / office and a dedicated laundry space.

I looked at a few new construction houses before I bought mine last year. The waste of space in a few of them was somewhat funny. Two instances stood out:

1) In one house the basement had a room you could finish off, but the access point was through the furnace/water heater area. Seemed really dumb.

2) Around me the builder puts these big ole electric fireplaces in the living room. Except these new builds aren’t that huge and it takes up most of the main blank wall (no windows) in the living room. So to put in your 55”+ TV in the living room required blocking the fireplace or the beautiful window in the living room.

Also seems there is a massive draw these days to have the house really far off the road for curb appeal. That is great and all until your backyard sucks and all your yard space is wasted/unused.

My girlfriend's dad builds houses. She overheard him getting a price on 1/2 inch OSB sheets and they were $50.

I know for our business we cancelled one building project because of the insane prices.

Also seems there is a massive draw these days to have the house really far off the road for curb appeal. That is great and all until your backyard sucks and all your yard space is wasted/unused.

This is me. I don’t know why the previous owners set the house so far back. Our backyard is tiny. The extra privacy is nice (it’s hard for pedestrians to peak into our living room), but I’d prefer the home be centered on the lot. Oh well, the House was a friggin’ steal compared to today’s market. It may not be perfect, but we still like it and it wound up being a great value.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I looked at a few new construction houses before I bought mine last year. The waste of space in a few of them was somewhat funny. Two instances stood out:

1) In one house the basement had a room you could finish off, but the access point was through the furnace/water heater area. Seemed really dumb.

2) Around me the builder puts these big ole electric fireplaces in the living room. Except these new builds aren’t that huge and it takes up most of the main blank wall (no windows) in the living room. So to put in your 55”+ TV in the living room required blocking the fireplace or the beautiful window in the living room.

" In 2015, the average number of people in a household is 2.58, compared to 4.54 in 1910. This means that today the average individual living in a newly built home in the US enjoys 211% more living space than their grandparents did, 957 square feet in total."

Buddy of mine just bought a house with an unfinished basement that you could probably use as an indoor running track. One of the walls is probably close to 120 feet long. I've never seen anything like it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

HELP!

I figured someone here would be better...best?...qualified to point me to a solid resource in my decades-old quest. I'm looking to buy a 1970 Brewers road uniform top.

In my opinion the powder blue re-purposed Pilots road uniforms were the coolest in team history. They had those 4 gold stripes on the sleeves and the lower case 'brewers' across the front in gold.

Davey May and Gene Brabender wore them. I've looked online, even trying to buy a game-worn Eli Rodriguez or a Ted Kubiak, and I can't find anything available.

I might even turn to having a T-shirt shop here in Chicago recreate one for me somehow.

Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks so much!

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

HELP!

I figured someone here would be better...best?...qualified to point me to a solid resource in my decades-old quest. I'm looking to buy a 1970 Brewers road uniform top.

In my opinion the powder blue re-purposed Pilots road uniforms were the coolest in team history. They had those 4 gold stripes on the sleeves and the lower case 'brewers' across the front in gold.

Davey May and Gene Brabender wore them. I've looked online, even trying to buy a game-worn Eli Rodriguez or a Ted Kubiak, and I can't find anything available.

I might even turn to having a T-shirt shop here in Chicago recreate one for me somehow.

Does anyone have any leads?

Thanks so much!

I suspect that Troy Kinunen at Mears Online Auctions in South Milwaukee might know who the owners of those jerseys might be. They are generally considered to be among the best authentication guys for uniforms, bats and gear.

I haven't followed all of their auctions, so I don't know if they have sold any. But he probably has records of anyone who might have had one authenticated over the years.

Heritage Auctions has a good search history of the stuff they have sold. They also have a way to offer a price to owners who have expressed an openness to selling. I have a 1970 home jersey from Heritage and used to get inquiries and offers for it, but I turned off that "Make an Offer" option, since I'm not really interested in selling it now.

I don't know if they have sold a 1970 road jersey, though.

Good luck! You're looking for a very elusive shirt.

Thanks for the insight, Jim.

I'll probably just settle for a knockoff. I doubt anyone will have me "assume the position" as they frisk me for tags!

If you're interested in wearing it, then definitely have one made. Unless a whole batch of them hit the market at once, an authentic one from that year is probably $2000 minimum.

I love the color, the font, the lower case 'e'. You'll stand out in a crowd, for sure.

For the houses off far back from the road talk. First, I'm not sure if you're referencing more town/city developments or kind of country lots. But if you're talking more country lots there is some rule or perk/benefit that basically forces it to happen. I don't remember the specifics, it's not about being close to the road necessarily but about buying a certain amount of the land. So basically if you have that much land you might as well put the house back. Again I don't remember exactly what the purpose of it was, but it comes into play when buying up old farm type land for a house and either the rules of it or you get some kind of benefit or tax break if you buy a larger piece of land.

Community Moderator
My girlfriend's dad builds houses. She overheard him getting a price on 1/2 inch OSB sheets and they were $50.

I know for our business we cancelled one building project because of the insane prices.

That is INSANE. I paid $30 for 1/2" OSB sheets last August and I thought I was getting ripped off at the time. I also accidentally bought 5 too many which are sitting unused, might have been a better investment than the stock market!

I can already see that people's spending patterns are going to rapidly shift back to travel and social gatherings in the second half of 2021 so I bet the market will correct.

That is INSANE. I paid $30 for 1/2" OSB sheets last August and I thought I was getting ripped off at the time. I also accidentally bought 5 too many which are sitting unused, might have been a better investment than the stock market!

I can already see that people's spending patterns are going to rapidly shift back to travel and social gatherings in the second half of 2021 so I bet the market will correct.

Every time I see something about the price of OSB I wonder if the unfinished part of my basement with OSB walls is actually high end luxurious materials in the year 2021.

• 2 weeks later...
I had to register my new to me car and found out that the local DMV couldn't do it and I had to do it online. No big deal. However they still charged me a convenience fee for doing it online even though I didn't have a choice. In the end, what's a couple of bucks but come on.

I have mail that was scanned on Monday that still hasn't been delivered. I sold an item on eBay last Friday, and last Saturday morning I dropped it off in the mailbox outside the local post office at 8am. The tracking number says that the Post Office still hasn't received it yet. But I ordered something on eBay last Saturday and it arrived yesterday.

Is this just a Chicago mail delivery issue, or are people in other parts of the country having issues with mail delivery?