Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2021

hawing

I put coleslaw on my brats.

Slaw is an underrated addition for a lot of things. Pulled pork, chicken, even on burgers.

For dogs I'm a sucker for a chili cheese dog. Otherwise it's just katschup, mustard, and relish for me.

My regular A&W order: Coney dog with cheese, chili cheese fries and A&W root beer.

Perfection. Followed by a heart attack. Worth it.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A&W was the only fast-food place in Neillsville growing up. Some folks have found it odd that I'd never been to a McDonalds until I was a teenager.

Stopped at the A n W on the way to Wild Rose when we were like 16. Buddy order a burger with no pickles. It came with pickles. Hes a particular guy, so he goes and asks them to remake it with no pickles. It came back with pickles. So, he goes up again and asks for no pickles. As hes walking back his jaw is on the ground as he returns. They piled about 100 pickles on his burger and put the bun on top. Hes never returned an order since. Ha.

I have a very German last name. At least a few times a year I have someone try to talk to me in German and even more times people tell me what my last name means in German. I normally just stare with a blank look.

For the record, I am a few generations away from "the old country". The funny part is that I am even more Polish than German.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Boiling brats is terrible. Got to grill them!

But does soaking in beer (or anything) really help? How permeable are the skins to take in the liquid? I could see if the brat maker put the beer inside...

Community Moderator
Boil first to absorb flavor (poke holes with a fork to allow them in). As noted, it pre-cooks the brats, but I like that for even cooking. Then throw them on the grill for 2-3 minutes a side (flip once) to finish them off. Did them like this on Monday and they were outstanding.

Boil first to absorb flavor (poke holes with a fork to allow them in). As noted, it pre-cooks the brats, but I like that for even cooking. Then throw them on the grill for 2-3 minutes a side (flip once) to finish them off. Did them like this on Monday and they were outstanding.

I've taken to using my sous vide to pre-cook my brats for tailgates.

Beer in the bag and an hour at 150F and they come out firm, super juicy and just in need of a sear (or as my dad calls it - grill microwave) to be ready to go.

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-beer-brat-recipe-food-lab

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

All that matters is you like them the way you cook, but most experts would say boiling causes flavor loss (simmer them instead). I tried boiling last winter for the first time in years and I don't think I will ever do it again. Maybe for tailgating purposes...but that would be it. Just my opinion, but poking holes is one of the worst things to do unless you like them with less flavor and dried out. Its just like making them burst with high heat, all the moisture and fat (the flavor) goes straight to the bottom of the grill. But again, there is no right way, if you like them then that's the way you should do it!

I can imagine the sous vide method packs a bunch of flavor. My dad has a treager grill and there is a recipe where they simmer for hours and then you sear them a bit at the end. The flavor added is incredible. Not really how I tend to like my brats though, it almost has to much flavor at that point I don't even feel like I am eating a brat. The smoke and beer flavor that gets added just gives a weird taste to me.

Boiling brats is terrible. Got to grill them!

But does soaking in beer (or anything) really help? How permeable are the skins to take in the liquid? I could see if the brat maker put the beer inside...

Skins are definitely permeable. You can tell when you soak brats overnight. Beer and onions makes them kind of sweet.

I never poke holes if I can help it. Lets the juice out. I might preboil if I was tailgating so they are precooked and less chance of mishaps. If I am at home or have time, indirect heat and no boil.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I never poke holes if I can help it. Lets the juice out.

Exactly. And don't boil - simmer them. Boiling them could cause them to burst, especially at the ends, and let the juices out.

I like to simmer in beer & onions for about 15-20 minutes, then brown on the grill on medium/low heat turning frequently (again, to prevent bursting) for another 15-20 minutes. It kind of caramelizes the brat. Then scoop the onions out of the beer and put them on the brats. I've literally had people say, "Holy (crap)!", when eating one of my brats.

If you grill brats, do it low and slow.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I recommend at least trying them smoked. I don't know if I have a preference vs. grilled, but they're way different tasting.

It is definitely a different taste. I don't really care for it, but then again I don't really like smoked meat.

I like grilling brats over charcoal. It allows a nice low temp, but that heat is so direct coming up it still gives them nice color. With gas the dripping moisture/fat/grease causes the flames to shoot up and burn and/or cause them to burst.

just realized the Royals pitching coach is Cal Eldred. I reference him all the time when golfing, calling it a "Cal Eldred round of golf." Throughout the 90s, it seemed after every start Cal would get asked what happened out there, and he’d say “I’ll take that stuff out there any day of the week” after giving up 7 runs in 2 2/3 innings.

just realized the Royals pitching coach is Cal Eldred. I reference him all the time when golfing, calling it a "Cal Eldred round of golf." Throughout the 90s, it seemed after every start Cal would get asked what happened out there, and he’d say “I’ll take that stuff out there any day of the week” after giving up 7 runs in 2 2/3 innings.

Just noticed this a few days ago too. KC had a collision of a popped up bunt where their runner crashed into Abreu from CHW and I happen to have the game on in the background at the time. He was out there helping the injured guy, saw the name on back and figured it had to be him. He's a big dude. Has to be 6'4-6'5 and has some weight on him these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Wut

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/01/1002018211/italian-artist-sells-invisible-sculpture-for-real-money

An Italian artist, Salvatore Garau, recently sold his latest invisible sculpture, a work titled "I Am." It isn't. The art does not exist except in the imagination of the artist. Garau says the sculpture may be displayed in any light since it's not there. The buyer gets a stamped certificate in exchange for payment of $18,000, assuming they can't just imagine they paid.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Don't question it, the art community will judge you. Art is art.....shhh.....art is art.

I saw an article yesterday where a bride had a heart attack at the alter and died. But as they say the wedding must go on and the groom got approval to marry the brides younger sister. It was in India or something.

Wut

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/01/1002018211/italian-artist-sells-invisible-sculpture-for-real-money

An Italian artist, Salvatore Garau, recently sold his latest invisible sculpture, a work titled "I Am." It isn't. The art does not exist except in the imagination of the artist. Garau says the sculpture may be displayed in any light since it's not there. The buyer gets a stamped certificate in exchange for payment of $18,000, assuming they can't just imagine they paid.

Live look at the image of the sculpture as imagined by the artist:

6KincH1mMRDFT4vcM8ZvNbzUJDvk92fWwtmad9L2NVEop4AB9LbCKWDyEe9wKF7oJP4vhFHawFp9ucgVbhmZhdZoLfq2rmLAxhkYpQYn6bxQjKjFxCwL6vr2q1zhnJuFixQDGjJnkhqKzWzoWhBw8EBjbar86uYSJwxRKbC23gEcBYF6aUE7cA.png

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Community Moderator
Wut

Not much different than selling an NFT...

Wut

I don't know art, but I know what I like. This ain't it.