Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2021

hawing

Teachers sure like to let everyone know their 3 month vacation isn't paid, but when they complain about their salary they never seem to mention how they are getting paid that much for only 9 months of work. They just want to compare their 9 month salary to other people's 12 month salary.

Highlighted sentence is completely untrue.

I haven't seen any teachers complain about their salary. Teachers don't do it for the money, if that was their number one concern, they wouldn't be in that profession to begin with.

One thing that still rings true, same as the day I started teaching, some people have an ax to grind with teachers. I'm sure there are a number of reasons that this is the case (and all justifiable in the minds that have that ax sharpened up and ready to go), but it never really changes. It is probably 5x worse now than 30 years ago though.

This I know is true, if you haven't ever worked in the profession of teaching, you can't possibly even begin to understand anything about it. You can look in from the outside, and think you get it, but you just don't. It would be like me looking into a corporate job and thinking I know what I'm talking about when I make generally ridiculous statements about that job.

I'm done commenting now.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sorry this devolved. I was just looking for some gift giving tips. Turbo, your input was appreciated.

sure thing...and honestly, a nice little note is just as good as a gift card.

Just a comment (or two) from another BF.net teacher/educator:

1. In 24 years, I think I have received only a handful of "gifts", and they were all fairly small, inexpensive items. It never has bothered me and I never expected anything. If I do receive something, it IS appreciated, though.

2. In 24 years, I have never--not one single time--had a three month vacation. EVERY summer (and I, literally, mean every summer) has been TWO months off of school--at the most. (We end in May, right before Memorial Day, and we go back to school at the end of July. It's an Arizona thing, I guess.) However, EVERY summer, I (and my wife) are taking classes (either online or in-person) for professional development, working on prep work for the upcoming school year (planning out the year, working on lesson plans, finding and researching classroom projects, etc.), and (mainly) doing a bit of decompressing because we can finally do some teaching work without the stress of dealing with students and parents. There is a huge misconception that teachers spend their summers at the beach, poolside, the golf course, etc. MOST teachers do exactly the same things that my wife and I do EVERY summer. (Yes, we aren't hedonists. We DO take a bit of R&R, too. But it's not much.)

3. I can't speak for other districts around the country, but our district pays us for our 10 months of work, while the up-to-two months of summer you are expected to have saved money from your paychecks (and the final balloon payment) to get you through the summer. You do NOT get paid for the summer months. Instead, you have to budget the money that you've earned. Overall, the salaries of teachers and the salaries of, for instance, a person who works a 9-5 office job, are pretty much similar. They get paid for 12 months; we get paid for 9 (or 10 in my case). But our paychecks may be slightly larger to offset the not getting income for 2-3 months. (Technically, the balloon payment on the last day of school is your 3-4 paychecks that you would normally receive over those 2 months, but smashed into one paycheck.)

I don't know how much of any of this is common knowledge. I'm just letting you know how it is for me and my wife. Your results may vary (if you are also a teacher.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I thought about becoming a teacher, but besides the parents and the students, the politics that are involved was just too much for me to want to even think about handling. I don't know how anyone can be in this profession, especially now. It would drive me nuts. In my current career, I train and mentor junior engineers, which can be very rewarding. It's one-on-one (or sometimes two) teaching with no lesson plans and no parents. Additionally, I also helped hand pick the "student."

I think what people are saying is teachers could get another job in those 2-3 months when school is not in session and make more money than what they are making now. However, I'm guessing it is hard to find a job in those summer months that is short-term. I've also heard a stat that teachers are more likely to be millionaires over physicians. They are only behind accountants and engineers. I don't know how true that is, but I guess that slow and steady investment into retirement accounts is a recipe for success. If that is the case, then what's the point of getting that second job? I think those 2-3 months off in the summer are well deserved time off. Thank you teachers. I know I wouldn't be where I am now without them.

I love teaching. Every other job I've had I've been able to figure out, it becomes routine, and I get stuck in a rut (or it's so hopeless a situation that I burn out). With teaching I continually have to learn content I'm interested in and develop/implement new approaches and technology. Every class, every year is different. Not to mention that 14-18 year olds have a very different outlook and energy than adults do. After 9 years of teaching, adults bore me. :laughing I also love sports and there are always opportunities to coach and play at schools. Subbing for our gym teachers is my favorite.

I will say, that I think it really helps that I had several other "careers" (mostly human services; but also a trade). When I hear other teachers that have only been teachers talk, they sound as despondent as I felt in my other jobs. So it could just be experience and perspective. The grass ain't always greener. Mostly I stick in my classroom and out of the teachers' lounge or committees if I can help it. Thankfully, at my school this is largely possible and I know that's not always the case.

I can also say my PERCEPTION of teaching has changed since I've been a teacher. I think this is because when many of us think of teachers and the classroom it's often looking back on our perspective as students; which makes sense as that was the bulk of most peoples' experiences with school. The classroom has changed a lot since we were kids and a student perspective is almost always pretty negative on it just by nature.

Finally, teachers are a target for the media, particularly on the right. Some of the perception is based on the old union mentality; which also annoyed me. At least in Wisconsin, that doesn't exist anymore to a large extent. My wife is a union leader in her district and I can tell you, the mentality has shifted 100% to PARTNERING with the district and parents. Covid has made the parent dynamic more difficult, and not just on one side. Of course, antimaskers and vaxxers; but some of the fringe "science" side seem more religious on the topic than scientific at this point and want them to do more, forgetting that their goal is to work with ALL families, even if they disagree. This approach could be just in her union though as a result of my wife. In my biased opinion, she's pretty awesome :) I don't keep up on other districts.

On the salary front, we're probably slightly underpaid based on the expertise and energy needed to carry this off every class, every day, every year; but like someone said before, if you're in it for the money, you need to have your head examined. Not just anyone could do this, much less do it well. That's not meant to sound conceited or elitist, it's just a fact. Many jobs require unique characteristics. As it is, we live a simple but comfortable life in a city neighborhood with a small but nice home, and drive affordable cars. We appreciate our one major vacation every 10 years or so and fancy dinners out even more because of their rarity.

Thanks to all who actively support teachers and schools in any way, great or small.

I've been a teacher in some capacity for the past 15 years, currently in my 13th as a classroom teacher. I just applied for a new job that if I get it, I would start in January. I love the teaching portion of the job; the five class periods a day where I get to deliver instruction are fantastic. What has become the struggle and why I'm looking elsewhere is the non-teaching parts of my job. I am required to collect and analyze data, spend countless amounts of time every year working on my three-year evaluation cycle, deal with kids' mental health issues, attend three meetings a week in my prep or lunch hours, and so on and so on. For me to do my job properly, I would have to work at least 3 hours a day outside of contract hours, and with kids at home, 10 hours a day are not sustainable.

We've had a lot of bad things happen at my school this year, and students are dealing with some serious stuff as a result. I have been absorbing a lot of what the kids are dealing with, and it's mentally taxing. That on top of the non-teaching duties is why I'm looking away from teaching.

I've been a teacher in some capacity for the past 15 years, currently in my 13th as a classroom teacher. I just applied for a new job that if I get it, I would start in January. I love the teaching portion of the job; the five class periods a day where I get to deliver instruction are fantastic. What has become the struggle and why I'm looking elsewhere is the non-teaching parts of my job. I am required to collect and analyze data, spend countless amounts of time every year working on my three-year evaluation cycle, deal with kids' mental health issues, attend three meetings a week in my prep or lunch hours, and so on and so on. For me to do my job properly, I would have to work at least 3 hours a day outside of contract hours, and with kids at home, 10 hours a day are not sustainable.

We've had a lot of bad things happen at my school this year, and students are dealing with some serious stuff as a result. I have been absorbing a lot of what the kids are dealing with, and it's mentally taxing. That on top of the non-teaching duties is why I'm looking away from teaching.

All so true, just so true. Sounds like my district.

I am retiring after this school year, 33 years in the profession and I'm ready to be done. It can't come soon enough. I enjoyed it immensely the first 24-25 years, not so much the past 8 or so... The teaching profession is an entire different animal from when I started, and there is no wonder at all why there is currently a shortage of teachers coming out of college.

It's going to be a long long time before people want to start teaching again.

Oddly enough learning new technology is one of the least enjoyable parts of teaching for me. Continually engaging with my subject areas is pretty fun, and I generally have a nice mix 15 years in of parts that are easy to deliver in the classroom, and new frontiers to explore. Tech rarely makes a significant difference in how well students understand. We've been somewhat successful in throttling back some of the obnoxious stuff (crazy evaluation rubrics, onerous student data generation), so that has helped the last few years. Competent bosses always seem like the biggest factor in my estimation in any job, and unfortunately that is far from a guarantee.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

All so true, just so true. Sounds like my district.

I am retiring after this school year, 33 years in the profession and I'm ready to be done. It can't come soon enough. I enjoyed it immensely the first 24-25 years, not so much the past 8 or so... The teaching profession is an entire different animal from when I started, and there is no wonder at all why there is currently a shortage of teachers coming out of college.

It's going to be a long long time before people want to start teaching again.

This makes me very sad. Thank you for your service to your students. I think Teachers are in that class of Heroes that Moms reside in: underappreciated, underpaid, generally undervalued and overworked. That all sounds extremely taxing. Again, thank you for your efforts.

Sometimes(often times) it feels like we just keep collecting data for little reason at all. Now we have to make sure we have heterogeneous groups- but like...its always the same kids. So they make us collect more data to get a more diverse group. Really i interesting decision in my opinion.

Whenever I hear the term ‘flash mob robbery,’ I can’t help but picture the robbers randomly breaking out in song and dance before they loot.

I always imagine a flash mob of dancers distracting everyone while a few people casually steal all the stuff and no one even notices.

I dont feel like googling it...what is flash mob robbery if it isnt the things you guys said?

Watch the news.....or better yet, don't. You'll be happier that way.

I dont feel like googling it...what is flash mob robbery if it isnt the things you guys said?

It is a raid or mass robbery. You flood a store with a lot of people and grab what you can and run as there is no way for anyone to stop you as there are too many people to stop. When I was a child this was common but what was being stolen were mostly candy bars and packs of gum.

This isn't really anything new other than people want to change the name of it so it doesn't sound as dangerous or negative.

My wife loves Hallmark Christmas movies. Most of them involve a young woman going back to her hometown for Christmas and unexpectedly falling in love with a ‘townie’ from her childhood. Ironically, anytime I suggest we visit her folks in rural Wisconsin, I get a response like ‘No way, I’m never going back to that hole.’

My wife loves Hallmark Christmas movies. Most of them involve a young woman going back to her hometown for Christmas and unexpectedly falling in love with a ‘townie’ from her childhood. Ironically, anytime I suggest we visit her folks in rural Wisconsin, I get a response like ‘No way, I’m never going back to that hole.’

You might find this amusing. Or not. But I instantly thought of this when I read your post and I find it amusing.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Do you really want to risk that?

Do you really want to risk that?

Ha. As charming as her hometown is, I’ve spent enough time there and I’m willing to chance it. ;)

SeaBass - Thank you. I watched that whole clip from start to finish and it was spot on! (and good for some laughs)

I don’t mind the Christmas movie genre. Sure, it’s very predictable, but it’s mostly just PG holiday fun. Does every small town have a friendly, farmhouse chic diner where you can get breakfast every day for less than $5? :tongue