Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2021

hawing

A Catholic Diocese in Italy has temporarily banned the practice of naming godparents for newly baptized babies because parents have been using it as a networking opportunity for their children, rather than appointing spiritual mentors. There are also some mob implications, with some ‘well-connected’ individuals having at least a dozen godchildren.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/land-godfather-comes-ban-them-153816569.html

Even though my wife and I are lapsed Catholics, we still had our son baptized. My wife has one sister and I have one brother, so naming godparents was easy and uncontroversial. I suppose the potential for hurt feelings exists in other families. Never once did I think of appointing a godparent to further my career (or my son’s).

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I have bright LED headlights on my car. Every once in a while, people flash their brights at me because they think my brights are on, but they're not.

Then your headlights need adjusting most likely.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Those things should be illegal.

I bought the car new and they came installed. I may try to make some adjustments.

Yup I realize they come factory installed now I just don’t understand how it is allowed. They create a true hazard. When those lights are oncoming when I go to work in the morning I’m always so afraid a pedestrian will walk in front of me while I’m being blinded.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
A Catholic Diocese in Italy has temporarily banned the practice of naming godparents for newly baptized babies because parents have been using it as a networking opportunity for their children, rather than appointing spiritual mentors. There are also some mob implications, with some ‘well-connected’ individuals having at least a dozen godchildren.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/land-godfather-comes-ban-them-153816569.html

Even though my wife and I are lapsed Catholics, we still had our son baptized. My wife has one sister and I have one brother, so naming godparents was easy and uncontroversial. I suppose the potential for hurt feelings exists in other families. Never once did I think of appointing a godparent to further my career (or my son’s).

Sort of along those lines, there was a Freakonomics podcast episode about Japanese CEO's legally adopting adult males so they could pass along their wealth/company to a suitable heir.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This was a very strange Halloween. Trick or treating started out normal as the first ones were the four neighbor kids.

They all had costumes where I couldn't see their faces but I knew it was the neighbor kids because I saw them leave the house. WE go all out and by full sized candy bars. The kids said thanks and left. That's when things got weird. Every 15 minutes or so a new group of kids came by. All in groups of four. All had costumes that didn't show their faces. They didn't stop coming until I ran out of candy and had to start handing out apples. After that I didn't get any more trick or treaters the rest of the night. That was weird enough, but on Monday I was talking to our neighbor and it appears all the neighborhood bu tone place must have been handing out the same candy bars as I had since their kids had a huge haul of full sized candy bars and one apple each. That means the one neighbor that didn't hand out candy bars must have handed out apples like we did when we ran out of candy bars. Just so weird how random things like that happen.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I just finished reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. It was written in 2011, but I first picked it up 2 weeks ago. It was outstanding. Easily the best book I’ve read in the last 5 years - a perfect intersection of history, pop culture, and management.

Nobody got an extra hour of sleep last night.

Everybody slept for however long they slept for.

Might be technically true, but for those of us who work weekends and had to be up at 4:15, it definitely mattered.

As annoying as Daylight Savings Time can be, it’s necessary to prevent kids from walking to and from school in the dark. I live about a mile from our community’s middle and high schools and I pass two dozen students either walking or biking to school as I leave my neighborhood at 7:00 am. It was getting increasingly difficult to keep track of the students, but I’ve had no issues since the time change.

As annoying as Daylight Savings Time can be, it’s necessary to prevent kids from walking to and from school in the dark. I live about a mile from our community’s middle and high schools and I pass two dozen students either walking or biking to school as I leave my neighborhood at 7:00 am. It was getting increasingly difficult to keep track of the students, but I’ve had no issues since the time change.

I personally don’t think daylight savings time is annoying at all. What we’ve had the last 8 months was daylight savings. We are now on standard time. Nodakfan17… please reply back in 2 weeks how many kids are walking or biking to school in 2 weeks compared to now. When the weather gets cold, and the snow starts to fly I’d like to know if these kids are still out on the roadways.

As annoying as Daylight Savings Time can be, it’s necessary to prevent kids from walking to and from school in the dark.

Change the time that kids have to be in school.

Selfishly, I'd like to change the time teachers have to be at school! 7:30 am start times are brutal. Every major study says high schoolers should start after 8am, most say 8:30 or 9 would be better.

As annoying as Daylight Savings Time can be, it’s necessary to prevent kids from walking to and from school in the dark.

Selfishly, I'd like to change the time teachers have to be at school! 7:30 am start times are brutal. Every major study says high schoolers should start after 8am, most say 8:30 or 9 would be better.

Blame sports.

In my district they pushed Elementary to 8:30 start and 3:40 end time. Works for me, but our days used to be 8:00 to 3:07 and the students did much better. Starting late and ending late for elementary is just silly.

Our high school is 7:30ish to 2:50ish.