Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2021

hawing

Wut

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/01/1002018211/italian-artist-sells-invisible-sculpture-for-real-money

An Italian artist, Salvatore Garau, recently sold his latest invisible sculpture, a work titled "I Am." It isn't. The art does not exist except in the imagination of the artist. Garau says the sculpture may be displayed in any light since it's not there. The buyer gets a stamped certificate in exchange for payment of $18,000, assuming they can't just imagine they paid.

I don't know art, but I know what I like. This ain't it.

I don't know Art either but I heard he isn't into pretentious crap.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The funny thing is that I already have one just like it!

I have the original and I am willing to sell it at a steep discount. Let's say....$1000?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I have had many a conversation/debate whether coffee or beer is the better beverage and for me I can't decide. As great as a beer is after a long day at work, that first sip of coffee in the morning is just soul fulfilling.

For some reason I am hankering for a box of chocolate covered Raisinets, like you can buy at the theater. I have no idea why. I haven't eaten that in years
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

People don’t know about gyros.

Twice in the past month someone has bragged up a gyro place to me. I asked if they had the lamb on a vertical spit roaster and cut it off, both friends said yes. But when I tried them both places had that pre sliced warmed up gyro meat instead.

If you’re going to brag up a gyro to me you’d better know what the hell you’re talking about.

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve been gifted a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red.

What’s a good mixer? Ginger Ale?

Gag…that’s a pretty lackluster gift. Not even sure what to mix that with. I remember getting it once in college and thought it was nasty no matter what I mixed it with.

Not my favorite but the only way I have been able to drink that is with cranberry juice or a cola.

Anyone care to explain to this 55-yo what makes DJ Shawna such a hot item? I'm see someone standing and playing records. I remember her (limited) playing days with the Badgers.

Whiskey + Ginger is a perfectly acceptable drink, it's very tasty.

A bit of lime juice can also help take the edge off a poor whiskey.

I highly recommend spending a bit more on a decent ginger ale. Or maybe trying a ginger beer and doing a Kentucky mule.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I highly recommend spending a bit more on a decent ginger ale. Or maybe trying a ginger beer and doing a Kentucky mule.

Thank you.

What’s a ‘decent ginger ale’? Something other than Canada Dry?

Does whiskey + ginger beer = Kentucky mule?

Not sure why the Allies attacked right into the defenses at Normandy. I am guessing there is something I am missing but I would be paratrooping behind them and then battering the beach head with artillery.

Not sure why the Allies attacked right into the defenses at Normandy. I am guessing there is something I am missing but I would be paratrooping behind them and then battering the beach head with artillery.

The Allied forces did exactly what you have said you would do. 18,000 paratroopers were dropped the night before and the coastline was bombed before and during the invasion.

As I recall the paratroopers at D-Day ended up rather scattered and disorganized. I recall reading at least a few stories about some getting treed, so the terrain might not have been great on top of the newness of the specialty may have also played a role.

There were many plans to made a head-on attack a logical idea. They were suppose to bomb it prior, but the planes missed terribly and did nothing. There were also supposed to be quite a few tanks going in first to clear out to some extent while also providing cover. However, nearly all of them couldn’t get to the beach.

It’s amazing so few died considering the above failures left them without much of the cover they were banking on. The bombs were intended to, hopefully, give some cover via the craters they left. But when the bombs missed by miles that didn’t do much good.

Thank you.

What’s a ‘decent ginger ale’? Something other than Canada Dry?

Does whiskey + ginger beer = Kentucky mule?

Kentucky Mule:

In a pint glass:

Fill 2/3 with ice.

Juice from about 1/2 a small lime.

2ish shots of whiskey.

Top with ginger beer.

I really enjoy Fever Tree's line of Ginger everythings. Yes, you pay a bit more, but for me it's worth it in the flavor and deliciousness.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The Allied forces did exactly what you have said you would do. 18,000 paratroopers were dropped the night before and the coastline was bombed before and during the invasion.

But 156,000 soldiers stormed the beaches. Seems like there are better options.

They also had a deception going on making Germany to think they were attacking elsewhere, which seemed to work in helping limit the defenses at that spot. I'm pretty sure weather also caused a delay of one day, so even if the things mentioned above didn't work the full way they hoped they couldn't delay anymore and risk it being found and prepped for defense even more than it was.

Bottom-line, unfortunately the technology and way of war at the time was at some point you just had to go head to head. Resources were also limited. It was essentially a crap or get off the pot type moment. You'd invested a lot of resources and planning into this and at some point you were gonna have to invade the 'mainland' or whatever you want to call it. They decided they couldn't pull back even though several things didn't go as they hoped.

But most importantly, they did do paratroopers like suggested. Watch Band of Brothers, that's the group that show was about. But they didn't have GPS and communications to coordinate like you would now, so that's the best you could do at the time. Plus, to hold the land afterwards you needed boots on the ground like the 150K you said were sent. War back then was just done with people much more than now with the technology.

Edited by tmwiese55

Community Moderator
They also had a deception going on making Germany to think they were attacking elsewhere

Yes, the Germans were convinced Patton would lead the attack, and the Allies purposely put him in a separate place as a diversion...

They also had a deception going on making Germany to think they were attacking elsewhere

Yes, the Germans were convinced Patton would lead the attack, and the Allies purposely put him in a separate place as a diversion...

I thought I read where Patton slapped two American troops that he thought were cowards in an infirmary. Eisenhower put him in another area. Hitler was convinced Patton would lead the attack, because of his experience and track record .