Brewer Fanatic

Nottingham had surgery on his thumb... [Latest: DFA’d by Mariners]

TURBO
Saw him in the lineup on the mlb app and thought it had to be a mistake, glad he’s back (even if it’s a short stay).
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Nottingham can't accept/not accept. He either gets claimed/traded or outrighted to the minors, Nottingham has no choice in the matter.

The club also has the option of releasing him. You're right though, easy to assume that releasing him is extremely unlikely.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Nottingham can't accept/not accept. He either gets claimed/traded or outrighted to the minors, Nottingham has no choice in the matter.

Since this is the second time he's been released I believe he can refuse the assignment and choose to become a free agent.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Since this is the second time he's been released I believe he can refuse the assignment and choose to become a free agent.

I think that is only if he's been outrighted twice. Since he was actually claimed by the Mariners last time around, I'm not sure that rule applies.

jacob nottingham has never been released. he's been designated for assignment three times--all this year.

dfa #1: did not pass outright waivers and was claimed by seattle

dfa# 2: traded by seattle to milwaukee

dfa# 3: the outcome remains to be seen

I wonder if there was some sort of gentleman's agreement when Seattle traded him back us that when our guys were back we had to deal him again so they could claim them again. The whole is just so weird otherwise.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I wonder if there was some sort of gentleman's agreement when Seattle traded him back us that when our guys were back we had to deal him again so they could claim (him) again. The whole is just so weird otherwise.

the brewers didn't deal (i.e. trade) him. they tried to pass him through outright waivers. any team could've claimed him.

had such an agreement been in place, the brewers would've traded nottingham back to seattle, and blocked 28 other teams for having a shot at him.

• 3 weeks later...

Now clear waivers, sign with the Brewers, and head to Triple AAA for depth to be the defensive catcher whenever Manny Pina retires.

If he clears, I'm pretty sure the Mariners can outright him without him becoming a free agent.

this is correct.

Thanks for the clarification. Let's claim him then and send Reyes down.

Right now, Vogelbach/Shaw at 1B, Urias/Robertson at 2B, Adames/Robertson at SS and Shaw/Robertson is the way to go in the IF until Wong comes back. I would rather have Narvaez, Pina or Nottingham being able to pinch hit than the extra IF (Reyes) who really shouldn't see the field over Vogelbach, Shaw, Urias, Adames and Robertson.

Still time to win that Khris Davis trade with his recent DFA.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived