Brewer Fanatic

Nottingham had surgery on his thumb... [Latest: DFA’d by Mariners]

TURBO
Tough luck losing him, but is what it is. Hopefully this one doesn't come back to bite us with Pina being ancient and only controlling Narvaez another year. Always thought Nottingham would be an okay back-up catcher. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be more than that.

Hopefully Feliciano turns out to be the real deal.

He is certainly a decent prospect on the horizon. Of course I would be more optimistic if he didn't wiff and miss strikes at high rates like Keston Hiura.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why on earth did we keep Maile and dump Nottingham?

Makes no sense.

Because Maile can be optioned back to AAA. Nottingham could not. The Brewers would have had to carry him on the 25-man active roster, and carrying 3 catchers with this roster makeup doesn't make a lot of sense. He was DFA'd prior to Pina's injury.

doesn't make sense to carry nottingham on the 26-man active roster, either.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why on earth did we keep Maile and dump Nottingham?

Makes no sense.

Because Maile can be optioned back to AAA. Nottingham could not. The Brewers would have had to carry him on the 25-man active roster, and carrying 3 catchers with this roster makeup doesn't make a lot of sense. He was DFA'd prior to Pina's injury.

doesn't make sense to carry nottingham on the 26-man active roster, either.

Semantics ... but then, you knew that ;)

nottingham was placed on irrevocable outright waivers. the mariners claimed him, and he must be added to their major league roster. no trade, other than the mariners paying the waiver claim fee.

Just to add for clarification: revocable waivers no longer exist.

When the waiver trade deadline was eliminated a few seasons ago, so were revocable waivers.

Verified Member

He is also a great guy.

He was ultra friemdly with fans in Appleton at their alternate training site.

Handing out balls like candy during the scrimmage.

Super nice guy, I wish him the best!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Strange: Nottingham apparently DFA'd right away again by the Mariners. I wonder if the Brewers are trying to work out a trade to get him back?

Trade something of value to get the guy back that they just DFAed?

I could see them claiming him, but even that ....probably not.

Maile looks capable....Feliciano has a bright future. These Pina and Narvaez injuries are very short-term things. They're fine.

Doesn't have to have anything to do with the Brewers, teams try the tactic of claiming players and then hopefully trying to sneak them through waivers. More often in the offseason, but happens during the season too. Ehire Adrianza and Blake Parker are two players who were very short-lived Brewers due to a claim and a DFA in past offseasons, there were more but those spring to mind.

Brewers are probably OK with relying on Feliciano as backup until Friday when Piña is expected back; they'd just have to DFA Nottingham again once both Piña and Narvaez are back. Not to say it's impossible that they're looking to bring him back (Seeing as he knows the pitching staff etc), just that his DFA doesn't really imply that.

Would rather have Nottingham than Maile or Feliciano right now. Think it is likely he gets claimed by the Brewers because even if Piña comes back by Friday Nottingham is the choice for backup.

I wonder what the Mariners' angle was on this whole thing. Just trying to sneak him through waivers for some minor league depth and when they saw he was going to be claimed anyway they figured they may as well get something for him instead?

So what's the plan is with Pina possibly back within a week?

Guessing Nottingham is above Maile on the depth chart (and Maile can be optioned).

Then once Narvaez is back, they either try again to sneak Nottingham through waivers or use him as a 1B option if Hiura is in AAA.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Lol.

I'm a little bummed as I was hoping to see some extensive ABs for Feliciano right now. Looks like that won't happen. Oh well.

Wonder if they wanted someone with a little more experience behind the plate for Bettinger's start?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Then once Narvaez is back, they either try again to sneak Nottingham through waivers or use him as a 1B option if Hiura is in AAA.

If that was the plan they'd have done it instead of DFAing him in the first place.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Lol.

I'm a little bummed as I was hoping to see some extensive ABs for Feliciano right now. Looks like that won't happen. Oh well.

Wonder if they wanted someone with a little more experience behind the plate for Bettinger's start?

Has either of Feliciano or Nottingham been Bettinger’s catcher throughout the minors? That may have something to do with their decision today.

Archived