Brewer Fanatic

Nottingham had surgery on his thumb... [Latest: DFA’d by Mariners]

TURBO
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldn't surprise me if there is some trade interest in Nottingham. Given the sorry state of catching in MLB, I would imagine some team will be happy to take on a cheap 26-year-old with right-handed pop and solid defense.

i know that there's a huge age difference, but jonathan lucroy cleared outright waivers after slashing .357 /.357 /.429 with the nationals in five games. he opted for free agency and is still unsigned.

Possible contenders getting less than ideal production from their catchers currently include...

TOR: 6 wRC+ (Alejandro Kirk: 25 PAs, 54 wRC+ & Danny Jansen: 38 PAs, -26 wRC+)

SEA: 22 wRC+ (Luis Torrens: 31 PAs, 61 wRC+ & Tom Murphy: 33 PAs, -15 wRC+)

HOU: 32 wRC+ (Jason Castro: 26 PAs, 116 wRC+ & Martin Maldonando: 39 PAs, -24 wRC+)

SDP: 36 wRC+ (Victor Caratini: 44 PAs, 70 wRC+ & Luis Campusano: 33 PAs, -10 wRC+)

ATL: 52 wRC+ (Travis d'Arnaud: 64 PAs, 56 wRC+ & Alex Jackson: 11 PAs, 30 wRC+)

OAK: 68 wRC+ (Sean Murphy: 47 PAs, 96 wRC+ & Aramis Garcia: 26 PAs, 17 wRC+)

MIN: 75 wRC+ (Mitch Garver: 39 PAs, 110 wRC+ & Ryan Jeffers: 29 PAs, 13 wRC+)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wouldn't surprise me if there is some trade interest in Nottingham. Given the sorry state of catching in MLB, I would imagine some team will be happy to take on a cheap 26-year-old with right-handed pop and solid defense.

i know that there's a huge age difference, but jonathan lucroy cleared outright waivers after slashing .357 /.357 /.429 with the nationals in five games. he opted for free agency and is still unsigned.

Lucroy is what he is at this point in his career - a replacement-level catcher on a 1-year contract. Nottingham, on the other hand, still has some perceived upside, and would be under cheap control for the next five seasons.

that's a bummer, I had high hopes for him after the KD trade. Hopefully he sticks around the org.

Yeah, it stinks that we ended up getting nothing for Davis, who had a pretty good career with Oakland (7.7 bWAR, 6.2fWAR). Sometimes you win with "proven-for-prospect" trades (Peralta for Lind) and sometimes you lose.

I had high hopes for Nottingham, and wish him the best of luck, but Narvaez and Pina are clearly the better players right now for the Brewers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

that's a bummer, I had high hopes for him after the KD trade. Hopefully he sticks around the org.

Yeah, it stinks that we ended up getting nothing for Davis, who had a pretty good career with Oakland (7.7 bWAR, 6.2fWAR). Sometimes you win with "proven-for-prospect" trades (Peralta for Lind) and sometimes you lose.

I had high hopes for Nottingham, and wish him the best of luck, but Narvaez and Pina are clearly the better players right now for the Brewers.

Well, it isn't "nothing" yet. Hopefully they can recoup something for Nottingham if there is interest. And Bubba Derby is still toiling at the AAA level, although he really hasn't shown anything to indicate that he has a future as a major leaguer.

Really terrible timing for him with the injury. It felt like with Pina's age and Narvaez's rough 2020, there was a legitimate opportunity for him to take one of the roster spots this year. The injury basically robbed him of ANY chance to do so.

Can't they buy more time by sending him on a rehab assignment to Arizona?

I think if you put him on a rehab assignment it ups the chances of losing him to a claim later on. Right now, he has to go straight from missing spring and the start of the season to a MLB roster if somebody claims him. Probably the best shot to sneak him through.

Lucroy is what he is at this point in his career - a replacement-level catcher on a 1-year contract. Nottingham, on the other hand, still has some perceived upside, and would be under cheap control for the next five seasons.

Does he? He came over in 2016 as a a “bat first” catching prospect. Other than Colorado Springs he’s been a middling hitter in the minor leagues, and is no longer young at 26.

The entire time he’s been in the organization they’ve been looking for a long term answer at catcher. He hasn’t been ready as either the starter of the back up so they signed Grandal and traded for Narvaez. Plus they’ve cycled through journeymen Jett Bandy, Erik Kratz, and Dave Freitas to soak up at bats in the majors.

He had a bit of bad luck with injuries this spring, but the fact of the matter is despite multiple seasons of team control remaining, the Brewers believe they’re better off with Narvaez and Pina and that they have 40 players who offer more than Nottingham.

I’m sure he could find an opportunity elsewhere but like Lucroy. He is what he is

I'm with Jopal on this one. Think Nottingham held up a 40man spot couple years too long. Pina has always looked a good backup both as a catcher hitting but really with how the pitchers perform. Nottingham just never imo felt right behind the plate for the pitchers. Good luck to him. Hes got a job with some team. Maldonado I seen just extended with a team. Thats something maybe 6years ago youd be like okay. That he remains a better option shows how poor catchers are in this day and age. Exact reason I never want to see 1 drafted in the first 2 rounds.

Can't they buy more time by sending him on a rehab assignment to Arizona?

I think if you put him on a rehab assignment it ups the chances of losing him to a claim later on. Right now, he has to go straight from missing spring and the start of the season to a MLB roster if somebody claims him. Probably the best shot to sneak him through.

Great point. Hope you’re right.

Nottingham would be a fine backup catcher for a lot of teams. Heck, he could play for 10 more years. Here and now, he's neither a better short-term option than Pina nor a better long-term investment than Feliciano.

Nottingham just never imo felt right behind the plate for the pitchers.

In 2020 Nottingham caught six Burnes starts where he pitched to a 1.08 ERA with 52 K vs only 8 BB over 33 IP.

Based on what Corbin has done this year I guess you could say Jacob was holding him back a little bit.

I hope they can swing a trade to get some value for Nottingham as he has no spot on this club. With Narvaez/Pina one of the best tandems in the majors and Feliciano in the high minors, they seem to be set. They have six C in thier top 25 prospect list as well. They look to be covered for a while now.

Tough luck losing him, but is what it is. Hopefully this one doesn't come back to bite us with Pina being ancient and only controlling Narvaez another year. Always thought Nottingham would be an okay back-up catcher. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be more than that.

Tough luck losing him, but is what it is. Hopefully this one doesn't come back to bite us with Pina being ancient and only controlling Narvaez another year. Always thought Nottingham would be an okay back-up catcher. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be more than that.

Hopefully Feliciano turns out to be the real deal.

Why on earth did we keep Maile and dump Nottingham?

Makes no sense.

Because Maile can be optioned back to AAA. Nottingham could not. The Brewers would have had to carry him on the 25-man active roster, and carrying 3 catchers with this roster makeup doesn't make a lot of sense. He was DFA'd prior to Pina's injury.

Archived