Brewer Fanatic

Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini to Padres, Cubs receive Zach Davies and prospects

Eye Black

I will start this thread in the transaction rumors forum and move it to the major league forum when/if the deal appears imminent.

Kevin Acee Tweet: Framework is all but done between Padres and Cubs. Yu Darvish could be part of Padres' rotation by end of the day.

Also, here is his Article Link

From the article:

According to two sources familiar with the talks, the Padres and Cubs are close to agreeing on the multiple pieces in a trade that will bring right-hander Yu Darvish to San Diego.

Those people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, would not elaborate on the details of the deal but said the Padres have accepted the haul they will have to send to the Cubs.

EDIT: Trade is Darvish and Victor Caratini to Padres. Cubs' return is Zach Davies and four prospects including OF Owen Caissie (18), SS Reggie Preciado (17), OF Ismael Mena (18), IF Yeison Santana (20).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will start this thread in the transaction rumors forum and move it to the major league forum when/if the deal is completed.

Kevin Acee Tweet: Framework is all but done between Padres and Cubs. Yu Darvish could be part of Padres' rotation by end of the day.

Also, here is his Article Link

From the article:

According to two sources familiar with the talks, the Padres and Cubs are close to agreeing on the multiple pieces in a trade that will bring right-hander Yu Darvish to San Diego.

Those people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, would not elaborate on the details of the deal but said the Padres have accepted the haul they will have to send to the Cubs.

Will be interesting to see who the Padres give up. I am thinking it will center around Hassell and if it does center around someone like Hassell that may tell us where the Cubs are going and it looks like they are going for another rebuild which means others may become available either this off season or during the trade deadline. Rizzo and Contreras are the two best pieces the Cubs have followed by Baez and then Bryant.

Will be interesting to see who the Padres give up.

Two interesting pieces of speculation I've heard/seen is that the deal may also include Victor Caratini (who typically catches Darvish) and that one piece returning to the Cubs could be old friend Zach Davies.

Regarding the Zach Davies rumors, Jesse Rogers was on ESPN radio in Chicago and made the following comment:

"One name I would almost guarantee coming back [in a Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini trade] would be Zach Davies."

Not just “at Night” anymore.

One would think that a starting pitcher going back to the Padres would be an absolute must because the Cubs aren't exactly loaded in the rotation as it is.

Without Darvish their rotation pretty much looks like-

#1 - Kyle Hendricks

#2 - Alec Mills (119 2/3 innings, 4.14 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 4.64 FIP)

#3 - Adbert Alzolay (33 2/3 innings, 4.54 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, 4.77 FIP)

#4 - Colin Rea (148 1/3 innings, 4.79 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 4.41 FIP

#5 - Tyson Miller (5 innings)

I'd be pretty unhappy with that if I was a Cubs fan. If they dump Bryant, which I think they will, I don't think they will have enough offensive firepower to compensate for a rotation like this.

Will be interesting to see who the Padres give up.

Two interesting pieces of speculation I've heard/seen is that the deal may also include Victor Caratini (who typically catches Darvish) and that one piece returning to the Cubs could be old friend Zach Davies.

Regarding the Zach Davies rumors, Jesse Rogers was on ESPN radio in Chicago and made the following comment:

"One name I would almost guarantee coming back [in a Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini trade] would be Zach Davies."

If Davies is involved I think this will be the final trade:

Davies, Weathers, Hassell and Ornelas to the Cubs

Darvish and Caratini to the Padres

This would give the Cubs one good prospect plus two pitchers they can throw into their rotation in Davies and Weathers and then one gamble of a prospect in Ornelas.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cubs cutting payroll. hilarious
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Cubs land some high upside guys who are very young. And they got four of them, so there is a solid chance that a couple end up being big time prospects. I’d be happy with a deal like that if the Brewers had an expensive veteran pitcher to deal.

Cubs fans do *not* seem happy about it. Public prospect rankings are what they are of course and they differ somewhat, but we're talking no consensus top 10 prospect in their system. This is after they had already traded a bunch of prospects for Clevinger, Snell and Nola recently, and with the Cubs retaining some salary. Maybe the approach of multiple lower-level guys pays off many years down the line, but it's quite easy to see why Cubs fans aren't thrilled tbh. With the trade itself, but perhaps even more so with the direction the team seems to be going, the end of an era and all that.

For anyone expecting a Gavin Lux type return for Hader, the Padres just managed to land Yu Darvish without giving up anyone in their organizational top 10 (though admittedly it's a loaded farm)

I think anyone expecting a Lux type player in a Hader deal was always setting themselves up for disappointment, but Josh should return a better package than Darvish if dealt.

Yu at 3/59 for his age 34, 35 & 36 seasons takes a lot of teams out of the bidding. With very few organizations looking to take on notable payroll this winter, I wouldn't be surprised if the Padres were the only organization to make a serious offer.

Hader at say 3/30 tops in Arby's for his age 27, 28, 29 seasons probably fits into a few more teams' budgets & should hopiefully inspire more competitive bidding.

For anyone expecting a Gavin Lux type return for Hader, the Padres just managed to land Yu Darvish without giving up anyone in their organizational top 10 (though admittedly it's a loaded farm)

Also, Darvish is owed around $60 million for the next three seasons.

That doesn't help. But Hader is going to be rather expensive (as relievers go) himself the next 3 years, and obviously isn't as valuable as an ace.

Also, the Cubs are picking up some of Darvish's salary, so it's not $60 million owed by the Padres.

I don't think it was a bad deal for the Cubs at all. Darvish had a nice 12 start stretch in 2020, but overall as a Cub he was 15-14 with a 3.60 ERA and he's 34. Over his last couple years Davies is 17-11 with and ERA in the low 3's. Davies has been one of the more reliable pitchers in the NL since he came to the Brewers in 2015 going 50-36. Davies has made 9 starts at Wrigley and is 4-3 with a 3.70. Davies isn't chopped liver by any means even if David Stearns didn't seem value him very highly when he traded him to San Diego.

Davies has often been compared to Hendricks. He throws a bit harder, but with a similar thinking mans approach and coolness.

Add in the young players in the deal, I give the Cubs the edge for the long term certainly, and they've freed up cash they will likely use to add yet another starter.

Archived