Brewer Fanatic

Ha-seong Kim to the Padres

wibadgers23

Early indications are Jake Cronenworth will move to LF to make room for Kim on the infield. I also wouldn't be shocked if they end up using Cronenworth as a trade chip in another deal.

Cronenworth wouldn't be a bad piece at all for the Brewers to target as part of a package for Hader. That is assuming, of course, that he can play 3B.

I wish there was a day we in for someone not from the Bargin basement.

This team literally handed Christian Yelich the richest deal in the team's history by far roughly nine months ago.

Fair or not, I think the Yelich/Cain day back in January 2018 seriously ruined people’s expectations forever to the point where they are expecting a blockbuster deal every year. And if we don’t make one then it’s seen as shopping in the bargain basement.

Early indications are Jake Cronenworth will move to LF to make room for Kim on the infield. I also wouldn't be shocked if they end up using Cronenworth as a trade chip in another deal.

Cronenworth wouldn't be a bad piece at all for the Brewers to target as part of a package for Hader. That is assuming, of course, that he can play 3B.

He played 3B once last year and played 3B in the minors. Young guy with a huge upside.

This team literally handed Christian Yelich the richest deal in the team's history by far roughly nine months ago.

Fair or not, I think the Yelich/Cain day back in January 2018 seriously ruined people’s expectations forever to the point where they are expecting a blockbuster deal every year. And if we don’t make one then it’s seen as shopping in the bargain basement.

Maybe so, but we have shopped in the bargain basement since, and it seems that is where we will be shopping this year too...

Until proven wrong, that is just how it is.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Maybe so, but we have shopped in the bargain basement since, and it seems that is where we will be shopping this year too...

Until proven wrong, that is just how it is.

Really? Moustakas and Grandal in 2019 were "bargain basement" signings? I'd disagree with that wholeheartedly.

Even last year, which they did make several "value" deals, they also signed Garcia to a $10+ million per year deal. You have to take Garcia's poor season out of the equation, and look at the contract itself. Certainly not a huge signing, but still pretty big money.

Really? Moustakas and Grandal in 2019 were "bargain basement" signings? I'd disagree with that wholeheartedly.

Even last year, which they did make several "value" deals, they also signed Garcia to a $10+ million per year deal. You have to take Garcia's poor season out of the equation, and look at the contract itself. Certainly not a huge signing, but still pretty big money.

all true, I meant after moose and grandal... no matter how you paint it, last year was dumpster diving.

all true, I meant after moose and grandal... no matter how you paint it, last year was dumpster diving.

Other than Garcia, I agree. But Garcia was a big deal. No need to "paint" that.

Also, it was one year. We'll see what happens. But this narrative that the roster building philosophy they used last year is now going to be "the norm" is simply not supported with enough evidence. Not yet anyway.

I think hacking 20 million off the payroll from 2019 heading into 2020 probably had a lot more to do with the bargain basement attitude that many of the fans have adopted (myself included).

Other than Garcia, I agree. But Garcia was a big deal. No need to "paint" that.

Also, it was one year. We'll see what happens. But this narrative that the roster building philosophy they used last year is now going to be "the norm" is simply not supported with enough evidence. Not yet anyway.

I don't view signing Garcia at what 10 - 12 million per season as a big deal. Most teams, that is just a drop in the bucket, a guy to fill a need, the sad thing is, that was our big go for it move. That saddens me.

I don't view signing Garcia at what 10 - 12 million per season as a big deal. Most teams, that is just a drop in the bucket, a guy to fill a need, the sad thing is, that was our big go for it move. That saddens me.

Turbo, you've been a Brewer fan for a really long time. I would think you'd just simply roll with it by now.

I think hacking 20 million off the payroll from 2019 heading into 2020 probably had a lot more to do with the bargain basement attitude that many of the fans have adopted (myself included).

I look at it more as an unexpected raise in the payroll for 2019, when Moose and Grandal fell into their laps on one-year deals, and then a return to a payroll that is more in-line with Milwaukee's revenue stream for the 2020 season.

Attanasio has often been ready to go over budget for a "name" player when the opportunity arises and he thinks the move can put them over the top. I think that he's probably chomping at the bit to jump into the FA market this season with a bunch of unsigned guys sitting out there and most of the Central seeming to give up before the season begins. Which will win, his emotional/baseball fan side, or the "numbers guy" side?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Kim signed for 4 years for 25 mil. I wonder how much the posting fee was. Looking at the contract itself in a vacuum, it’s depressing to think that we couldn’t even spare 7-8 mil per year for this guy.

I’m sure we could have but these guys rarely want to come to Milwaukee.

It sounds like Kim’s decision came down to the Red Sox and Padres. There’s been reporting that he preferred the idea of hitting at Fenway because of his RH pull power swing, but his family preferred a warmer climate. It’s also likely the Padres offered the most money.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Any ball players from Greece? They seem to like it here.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Avi Garcia was not a big deal...maybe for the standards of how the last two offseason have been operated, but that was a pretty minor deal. The money and years were pretty minimal even for a small market team.

Strange the team is willing to hand out the next big albatross contract for a guy in his 30s like we learned nothing from Braun or the endless similar deals across baseball, but when it comes to FA we have to nickel and dime our way to a roster these days. Hard to watch.

Strange the team is willing to hand out the next big albatross contract for a guy in his 30s like we learned nothing from Braun or the endless similar deals across baseball, but when it comes to FA we have to nickel and dime our way to a roster these days. Hard to watch.

Christian Yelich turned 29 three weeks ago. I understand what you are trying to say, but if you are going to rip into the team's front office, probably best to at least be accurate.

Well considering we already had him on a team friendly deal from his age 26-30 seasons, the extension is really for his age 31-36/37 seasons. I'm happy to have him on the team long term, but this deal has the potential to look really bad in hindsight...

Well considering we already had him on a team friendly deal from his age 26-30 seasons, the extension is really for his age 31-36/37 seasons. I'm happy to have him on the team long term, but this deal has the potential to look really bad in hindsight...

The later years of the deal likely will, but that's the price of doing business in today's MLB. Small market teams typically trade off guys like Yelich entering their prime earning years, basically serving as farm systems for the Dodgers and Yankees of the world. Personally I'm sick of that philosophy, so I'm glad that the Brewers took another path on Yelich. It will be a challenge, but having Yelich on this team likely means that we will be witnessing relevant baseball for the next decade, just like we have for most of the length of Braun's deal.

Archived