Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee - Madison Game

TooLiveBrew

This idea has been discussed briefly, and there's a lot of interest on both sides.

So now it becomes a question of logistics....

When? Where? Do I sharpen my metal spikes or not.... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The Mad. team plays on Tuesdays, and I play as well on Mondays for the co-ed team. I'm assuming we'd have to find a weekend which worked.

One other concern I have is officiating. It's not that we need to play for "pinks" or money or whatever, but it's always nice to have umps that know what they're doing (as in, the rules of slow-pitch softball). Do the Milw. people play with different rules?

Mad. uses the 6' to 12' arc limit, with an appx. yard-long mat behind home plate to (coupling with HP) define the strike zone. The mat has a "V" cut out of the top end, so as to fit the back of HP.

The sooner we iron out details like this, the more likely we have a great time when we actually get together!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I work as an MSCR umpire, and could probably find a guy from Madison, maybe you Milw. peeps can find a Mil. ump, so it's balanced. We'll obviously have to decide what rules to use (if any differences).

I think (unless we find some experienced volunteers) that if we offer each ump something like $20 for the game, they'd be happy to work it (that's more than we get here in Madison per game...)

First off, I really hope this happens. It would be awesome. 2nd, we could probably just have a member of each team that is not in the field officiate (if they end up in the field later, just switch out). Techincally, I'm a WUA grad if that matters, though I haven't done it in a while. My main concern would be finding/reserving a field that is suitable for both teams. Helfaer would rock, but otherwise something between would be cool (Johnson Creek area?).

I grew up in Oconomowoc, which is next to J Creek, essentially. We have many fields, and if needed I could contact the O-town Rec. Dept. to see what we could land there.

But Helfaer is the obvious #1 choice. How much to reserve it?

EDIT: I like the 'not on the field' umps. As long as people know the basic rules, that'll work well.

In all of the beer league tournies that we enter we usually just use random people from previous teams. Im sure you could get some people who wouldnt mind umping and being there. If I was in the area I would be set with umpin it. The rules is the only thing you need to take a look at.

Quote:
Helfaer has a rule for men's leagues stating we must use a mush ball.

This makes me sad on the inside. As much as I'd love to play there, I'd much rather play with real softballs.

Lets get a date worked out, and RESERVE a field (its not that expensive).

"JUST" an idea?

JUST the greatest idea EVER! This needs to be planned, and well. We should have a backup/rainout day for the softball portion, but you never know. Maybe we should just ask Mark if we can use his ball-field during a road trip!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'm sure both managers are pretty busy with other things, and if that is the case, I'd love to either assist in the organization, or lead it. Obviously, keeping it from conflicting with fanfest would probably be a good idea, and I think Helfaer is a bad idea (now that I know that you have to use a mush ball).

To me, the Johnson Creek area seems to make sense, as it is basically the midpoint between the two cities. The problem would probably be locating a field, as I'm not sure if we have any team members (from either side) living in that area. Otherwise, if the Madison team would be willing to travel down, there's tons of fields at our disposal, and we could coordinate such that we play in the morning/afternoon, and there is a Saturday night brewer game. A quick check returns the following dates:

May 19

June 2

June 23

July 14

July 21

Aug 4

Aug 18

Maybe at everybody's next practice the managers could ask the team what dates they prefer, and we can figure out logistics around that date.

Edit: I know in the Milwaukee area Wilson Park has a softball stadium. Not sure on availability, but they also have quite a few fields there.

I know I may be only speaking for myself (and maybe some others), but I think we should plan this for down the road a little ways, maybe in July or sometime in August. Could we coordinate a game with BF.net Fan Fest? Personally, I can't do much on weekends from here until the very end of June. It is wedding season soon (friends as well as my own) as well as graduation madness for a lot of people, so May/June could be sort of rough. If we do the softball game before a Brewer game idea, I personally say do it in Milwaukee. We would all end up there anyways. Also, we could do a group of tickets and have a BF.net softball section.

Verified Member
Quote:
I know in the Milwaukee area Wilson Park has a softball stadium. Not sure on availability, but they also have quite a few fields there.

the stadium gets used for leagues and tournaments alot, but there is some availability for rental. it is a bit steep though.

they also have a decent field right next to it (field #1) for much cheaper.

i can check all the prices when i go into work wednesday (i work for the parks...but no discounts unfortunately!). or call 414.257.8005

I know that just basic field rental is only $6, so thats not much of an issue. Availability on the date we determine my main concern, though I'm sure we won't have a problem finding a field once we settle on a date.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Remember-

Helfaer has a rule for men's leagues stating we must use a mush ball.

For the Marquette vs. Medical College of Wisconsin game that took place at the beginning of this month, they did not require a mush ball. Brewerfanmatt can attest to this, as he played in it. And this was even a game day with cars and tailgators everywhere.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Archived