Brewer Fanatic

Blake Snell to Padres

markedman5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Jeff Passan:

BREAKING: The San Diego Padres are finalizing a trade to acquire former Cy Young winner Blake Snell from the Tampa Bay Rays for prospects.

The prospective deal that would send Blake Snell to San Diego would be centered around top pitching prospect Luis Patiño, sources tell ESPN. Also in the deal, as @dennistlin reported, would be catcher Francisco Mejia, pitcher Cole Wilcox and Blake Hunt, a young catcher.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

BREAKING: The Padres have an agreement in place to acquire Blake Snell from the Rays, sources tell @JCTSports, @Ken_Rosenthal and me. Luis Patiño, Francisco Mejía, Blake Hunt and Cole Wilcox would head to Tampa. Deal pending review of medical records.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

That is a huge price, but it’s hard to argue that he isn’t worth it

I agree it’s hard to argue from the Padres point of view. They want to make a serious run at the Dodgers and the rest of the NL, so this trade makes a lot of sense for them right now. The Padres are setup for a strong window of contention over the next few years and with Snell under contract for three more years this trade significantly improves their team over the short-term.

Wow.... The stock of Francisco Mejia has fallen bigtime since 2016/ 2018...

In '16 he would have been the main package piece for the vetoed Lucroy deal..

In '18 he netted Brad Hand & Adam Cimber...

now he is 1 of 2 catchers in a 4 player package for Blake Snell...

Also a testament to just how good the Padres farm system is, they acquired Blake Snell by only giving up one prospect considered to be among their top ten best prospects (Luis Patino is considered by Baseball America their #2 prospect).

Edit: Looks like MLB.com has Wilcox as their #7 prospect, the last Baseball America update I saw had him outside their top ten.

Edit #2: I was initially looking at the Baseball America midseason update, the most recent Baseball America Padres Top Ten was released this week and it had the three prospects in their top ten: Luis Patiño (#3), Cole Wilcox (#9), Blake Hunt (#10)

Would imagine this means they are out on Darvish then?

I don’t know, Padres farm system is very good. Maybe they could pull it off too. They seem to be all in

Or how about Bauer. If they're going to go all-in...go all in and get Bauer. You don't give away ALL your prospects and you add one of the most dominant pitchers from last year.

Clearly, they're invested in beating the Dodgers. They're absolutely loaded. I don't think they need Bauer, but there are rumors they're still interested.

I haven't paid that much attention to the Hot Stove, or Trevor Bauer, but is he still going with the year to year concept? If so, seems like SD offering 30-35 is a no-brainer. If he wants a normal contract...I'd probably use that to retain all the young talent.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The way the Rays use their starters, Snell was a luxury they could afford to move. Hopefully he'll get a chance to work in a more traditional manner to see what he can do in the 7th inning or later.

At the very least, I would predict he no longer gets pulled out of a WS game he is absolutely dominating, after giving up a hit on his 73rd pitch.

He certainly achieved a lot with the Rays but I wouldn't blame Snell if he's glad to be playing for a different manager going forward.

Would imagine this means they are out on Darvish then?

I don’t know, Padres farm system is very good. Maybe they could pull it off too. They seem to be all in

I think it's salary rather than prospect cost that is going to prevent a Darvish move. $20m is a lot, and you'd expect some hefty arbitration salaries for some of their guys (Tatis and Lamet chief amongst them) if they pan out.

The Rays had a full (and fairly deep) 40-man roster before the trade, and while they obviously lose Snell they will have to add Patiño and Mejía. So either they are about to DFA someone or another trade is on the horizon.

Padres need/want Yelich?

Brewers didn’t sign Yelich to trade him after 1 bad season.

Maybe not but sometimes you take advantage of a market. Go after that farm system and stock up for a better future. Use Hader too.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Man are the Padres stacked or what. And they were able to keep the top couple of guys in their minor league system in Gore, Abrams and Campusano. Maybe they get really nuts and trade for Hader now.

Better yet ... get the Dodgers and Padres in a bidding war for Hader. Don't know if the Padres would be willing to part with Gore or Abrams, but one of those would be my targets.

Man are the Padres stacked or what. And they were able to keep the top couple of guys in their minor league system in Gore, Abrams and Campusano. Maybe they get really nuts and trade for Hader now.

Better yet ... get the Dodgers and Padres in a bidding war for Hader. Don't know if the Padres would be willing to part with Gore or Abrams, but one of those would be my targets.

If Gore didn't go in a package for Snell, he's not coming in a package for Hader..............imo

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived