Brewer Fanatic

FSN/Sinclair/regional sports network streaming

Oxy

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s my guess. I’m a YTV person too and I’m still holding out hope. Fortunately for me I’m out of market so MLB.tv works for me. I miss out on Twins games, which I enjoy watching but not the same as missing out on Brewers. My work around is I use my parents cable login for the foxsports go app. So if you know someone with cable ask if you can maybe give them some cash to use their login.

I feel like YTTV has to be gaining more and more subscribers and therefore more bargaining power. I just think Sinclair has no clue and won’t get to with the times and realize they are the ones who should be bending more nowadays.

That’s my guess. I’m a YTV person too and I’m still holding out hope. Fortunately for me I’m out of market so MLB.tv works for me. I miss out on Twins games, which I enjoy watching but not the same as missing out on Brewers. My work around is I use my parents cable login for the foxsports go app. So if you know someone with cable ask if you can maybe give them some cash to use their login.

I feel like YTTV has to be gaining more and more subscribers and therefore more bargaining power. I just think Sinclair has no clue and won’t get to with the times and realize they are the ones who should be bending more nowadays.

Man how stupid is this... MLB knows that not a lot of viewers have cable anymore... They need to do something about this but they probably cant or dont care because of MLB.tv.

Man how stupid is this... MLB knows that not a lot of viewers have cable anymore... They need to do something about this but they probably cant or dont care because of MLB.tv.

Can a team stream its content and keep its revenue? How was the deal written up where the teams share equally the internet revenue? Or was that strictly mlb.tv? I thought that would be the one thing that saves the Brewers long term, if the revenue eventually shifted to equally shared by everyone.

It is a measly $3.50 cheaper by my calculations for me to get internet/cable bundled over having internet/YTTV (and I might be missing a BS fee or two). That is without any HD boxes and using it straight off the smart tv...and I have no idea how decent their app actually is or if that is actually an option one can do. I am sure that app works similar to a streaming app and has a delay. That is of course for the entry year and the next year it blows past the cost of YTTV.

Yet another easy reason to lift blackout restrictions. What an antiquated way of doing business. If I could get Brewer games, I would order MLB TV tomorrow.

Those restrictions exist to protect local broadcasting rights that then create gigantic TV deals for us to sign. I think one should want blackout restrictions...they just shouldn't want that broadcaster not working with streaming services that many are turning to.

It is all posturing. Eventually Sinclair will having their own streaming option or will work on deals with streaming services. I would not be totally shocked if one of those deals happened before or in short order after the season starts.

Yet another easy reason to lift blackout restrictions. What an antiquated way of doing business. If I could get Brewer games, I would order MLB TV tomorrow.

i don't think they need to get a streaming service, they have that. just lift the blackout. they could even raise the prices a little bit and few would care, if that.

If you know how to setup a VPN to get around the location blackouts (I do not), MLB.tv is a really great option. I love it as is, but would love it even more if I could watch the Brewers through it.

Is this even an option? Is there any way to trick MLBTV into thinking you are in a different location than you actually are? I guess I'm not tech savvy enough to know if this is a legit option. If it is, I'm all ears if someone can explain how to do it.

If you know how to setup a VPN to get around the location blackouts (I do not), MLB.tv is a really great option. I love it as is, but would love it even more if I could watch the Brewers through it.

Is this even an option? Is there any way to trick MLBTV into thinking you are in a different location than you actually are? I guess I'm not tech savvy enough to know if this is a legit option. If it is, I'm all ears if someone can explain how to do it.

From what I understand, you used to be able to trick MLB TV with a VPN, but they have since wised up and block all users with a VPN operating.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

I think it's all so ridiculous that we are sitting here in 2021 and there are so many people who can't get access to their local team's games. It really is insane. Streaming is here to stay and the teams/companies that adapt are leading the way. MLB and the regional networks need to get with the times, plain and simple. MLB.tv, as I've said many times, is a great service and I've loved it for many years. So many more people would be enjoying it, if they could figure out the regional aspect. Especially because baseball is such a regional sport! That's the most important part of this whole equation, that baseball is much more unique that way. I'll watch NFL, NBA, College Basketball and Football all day, but I rarely watch other baseball games except my team. They should be able to look at simple numbers and know that. Completely leaving a customer base out of the equation, unless they get cable or satellite (who I think have also had play of battles with regional sports channels) is just bad business overall. Take care of your fan bases!

It is a measly $3.50 cheaper by my calculations for me to get internet/cable bundled over having internet/YTTV (and I might be missing a BS fee or two). That is without any HD boxes and using it straight off the smart tv...and I have no idea how decent their app actually is or if that is actually an option one can do. I am sure that app works similar to a streaming app and has a delay. That is of course for the entry year and the next year it blows past the cost of YTTV.

Correct. Although to be fair Hulu and YT has jacked their prices over the last year or 2 only to take away channels from their users. Streaming is here. Cable in antiquated in my opinion. it wasn't long ago that if I wanted a record I had to go to Best buy and purchase it. Now I just listen to it on apple music. The music industry has adapted. There is no reason why sports / TV can't either.

Its crazy that to prove some point, Sinclair is costing themselves money by putting their foot in the sand, assuming that hulu and google are telling the truth that they offered the going rate for FS regional networks, which I am assuming is correct.

As others have said, I have adapted too. Covid has proven that there are other things (and better uses of time) that sitting and watching every game. I can still go to a bar and watch them every one in a while. Put them on the radio when I am outside in the summer. Catch highlights every night. It doesn't make me less of a fan.

I don't think streaming services, as they are currently setup, are the future. Pretty soon every network is going to have their own service you have to pay for. I see people already rebelling against having to pay for multiple services just to be able to watch a handful of shows because it adds up to more than the cost of cable. And as others have pointed out, streaming services keep raising their rates and taking things away, just like cable/satellite.

Community Moderator

The MLB app is so great, I can't imagine not being able to consume Brewers games that way. Usually I'll have the game on the radio or be checking the score. If something interesting is happening I pull my phone out of my pocket and have the TV feed up within 20 seconds.

I don't think I even have cable running to my house anymore, when I got fiber installed they took out the old cables. Between Amazon/Hulu/Netflix/PBS and the bunny ears we have plenty to watch.

My internet was getting too high so I went back to Charter and did the internet and what I guess you would call cable through their app. It is $107/month total after taxes and I can cancel anytime and just go back to just internet if I want. However, with all the streaming price increases I'm sticking with it for now and enjoying watching the Bucks again and eventually the Brewers.

My internet was getting too high so I went back to Charter and did the internet and what I guess you would call cable through their app. It is $107/month total after taxes and I can cancel anytime and just go back to just internet if I want. However, with all the streaming price increases I'm sticking with it for now and enjoying watching the Bucks again and eventually the Brewers.

thanks for this post. I have ATT internet and looked into getting ATT Tv bundled. It is cheaper than Hulu live and I can watch FS Wisconsin again. seems like a no brainer.

thanks for this post. I have ATT internet and looked into getting ATT Tv bundled. It is cheaper than Hulu live and I can watch FS Wisconsin again. seems like a no brainer.

Problem with that is AT&T is a two-year contract, and the price rises significantly after the 12-month introductory price. So ... just like cable

I don't think streaming services, as they are currently setup, are the future. Pretty soon every network is going to have their own service you have to pay for. I see people already rebelling against having to pay for multiple services just to be able to watch a handful of shows because it adds up to more than the cost of cable. And as others have pointed out, streaming services keep raising their rates and taking things away, just like cable/satellite.

Completely agree. I think YTTV/Hulu are essentially becoming the new cable companies. They can offer a cheaper price with no equipment to deal with. They will continue to raise prices as they beat out more cable companies, but they have a good product so many will pay for it. I think the biggest thing is so many people have had bad/terrible customer service experiences with cable and satellite. That can leave a bad taste in your mouth for years. When we moved to our new house a few years ago I had the absolute worst experience with AT&T and DTV (now the same company). First AT&T offered me a buy one get one iPhone X, only to come back a few months later and say that the associate wasn't supposed to offer that and claiming we had to pay full price for both. That went on for 9 months! Somewhere in the middle of that we were transferring our DTV to our new place and it took a total of 8 appointments, that they kept screwing up and or telling me they couldn't install the dish. I even got a tree trimmed which dost $200 something, only to have the next tech come out and tell me he couldn't put the dish there. Awesome! I'm a calm rational person, but I got so worked up on the phone one day that I felt like was going to have a heart attack! Experiences like this are why I can't see myself going back to them ever again. Sorry for the huge rant :angry

I think it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out with essentially every tv company/station having their own streaming option. Obviously it's not cost effective to have them all. If you want all the stations, I guess you do your version of cable/YTTV. If you just need a few, then you can have a viable cost saving option. Just seems like something will come of this that's different and better for the consumer.... at least I hope.

Problem with that is AT&T is a two-year contract, and the price rises significantly after the 12-month introductory price. So ... just like cable

Talk about being a Debbie downer :). I don’t mind the 2 year contract. I would assume in 2 years the ability to watch sports will be different. I’ll have to look closer into prices for year #2

I have Spectrum cable. For some reason, my bill dropped $21 last month. I have no clue as to why, but I'm not going to call and ask them either.

Just hoping next months bill isn't $21 higher to make up for their "error."

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS