Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Luis Perdomo

DR28

The Brewers have a deal in place with righty Luis Perdomo, according to MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez (via Twitter). It’s a minor-league arrangement.

The 27-year-old Perdomo had been cut loose recently by the Padres. He’s expected to miss all of the upcoming campaign while recovering from Tommy John surgery.

I remember watching this guy in spring training a few years back against the Brewers and thinking he'd do very well. I guess I'm not a scout for a reason. He has absolutely stunk.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not great as a young starter, but above average as a reliever in 2019. I'm sure he'd be considered a 2022 bullpen option for little cost.

I remember being at a game he pitched at Miller Park back in 2017. I wasn't familiar with him but he threw the ball very well that day, eventually losing a duel with Jimmy Nelson that day. He had not pitched above A ball when the Padres took him in Rule 5 draft in 2016 and up to that point his minor league stats didn't really stand out either. Interesting move. There's something there that someone liked in the Brewer organization.

So a guy who isn’t even going to pitch this upcoming season. Oooookay, then

Seems like a lesser version of the same idea the Twins had when signing Michael Pineda three years ago. It was known he'd miss the first year of the two-year contract recovering from surgery.

Except this guy hasn't had the success Pineda had before his surgery and this would seem to be a one-year contract since most FAs wouldn't sign multi-year minor-league contracts.

I'm all for taking advantage of opportune timing with a cheap flyer on a good arm. But it comes with no guarantees this guy will ever see the majors again.

On a less-serious level, I wondered if the goal was to sign all the available Perdomos in the hope that at least one will live up to the high potential our now-two Perdomos both have... not unlike 25 years ago when we cornered the market on Mouton OFs (with unspectacular results).

Except this guy hasn't had the success Pineda had before his surgery and this would seem to be a one-year contract since most FAs wouldn't sign multi-year minor-league contracts.

Pretty sure I've seen multi year minor league contracts before, in situations like this. But even if not, he can be added to the 40-man roster at the end of the season if they want to keep him.

Pretty sure I've seen multi year minor league contracts before, in situations like this. But even if not, he can be added to the 40-man roster at the end of the season if they want to keep him.

yes, you have.

you've also seen threads on minor league signings without invitations to big league camp (such as this one) moved to the minor league forum.

yes, you have.

you've also seen threads on minor league signings without invitations to big league camp (such as this one) moved to the minor league forum.

He's been a major league pitcher for several years now. This is in the right spot.

It's a minor league deal so whatever, don't get the sarcastic responses for minor league deals. If he comes back healthy he shouldn't get paid too much and it appears he has an option left so can be part of the shuttle in 2022 as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can understand being frustrated by any "real" signings, but I don't know how you can be frustrated by signing Perdomo. Seems like a pretty forward thinking move to grab someone for next year and stash him away. Out of the box thinking is required when your budget is constrained.

Another Perdomo who isn't very good. This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them!

Like the Guerra experience a few years ago, or going back a long time, the Flying Moutons.

Which Mouton was your favorite Mouton?

James was the better player, but Lyle was one of those types who looked great getting off the bus. Every time he was up to bat, he looked like he was going to hit a 500-foot homer. Alas, when he made contact (rare) it was a lazy fly ball or a single dumped into left.

Another Perdomo who isn't very good. This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them!

Like the Guerra experience a few years ago, or going back a long time, the Flying Moutons.

Which Mouton was your favorite Mouton?

James, though he never seemed to fully live up to what he could've been when he first came up with Houston.

I should've been clearer. I'd be surprised if many established MAJOR LEAGUERS would sign multi-year minor-league contracts except in situations where they need security because of returning from injury/etc. And as before, I could well be wrong!

Archived