Brewer Fanatic

MLB Playoffs Future Format

Eye Black

So we previously had a thread to discuss the 2020 playoff format

Figured we should start a new one to discuss the post-pandemic playoff structure on the heels of this news today...

Via this New York Post article, ESPN landing MLB rights to playoff round that doesn’t yet exist:

ESPN and Major League Baseball are closing in on a TV deal that would provide the network exclusive rights to the first round of the playoffs, The Post has learned.

Now all that is needed is a first round of the playoffs.

That needs to be negotiated between MLB and the Players Association, which is to say that, while an ESPN-MLB deal is close, they are still far from knowing when — and even if — there will be playoffs expanded from 10 to likely 14 teams to include a best-of-three first round.

In the deal between ESPN and MLB, the network would reduce the amount of national games it broadcasts, while increasing the number of marquee matchups.

While weekday regular season baseball will almost be eliminated on the network, “Sunday Night Baseball” will continue with ESPN in talks to keep Alex Rodriguez as the main analyst on the broadcasts, according to sources. His partner, Matt Vasgersian, is probable to return, but a definitive decision has not been made yet.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Just add two teams and do a 32 team playoff so we won't have to waste time with pesky regular season games anymore!

I will be disappointed if they add more teams. 5 seems like a good number. They play 162 games and they should be used to weed out over half of the teams. I realize this probably hurts teams like Milwaukee(or maybe it doesn't cuz they could get hot for a 3 game series), but I much prefer knowing the 162 matters much more.

Expand to 32 teams.

4 x 8 team divisions (AL/NL East/West)

12 games vs 7 division opponents = 84 games

6 games vs 8 league opponents = 48 games

3 games vs 8 interleague opponents = 24 games

TOTAL = 156 games

The last week/six games of the season would be flexible scheduling to decide close races, determine playoff seeding / draft order etc.

Each division winner gets a bye, while the four best non division winners play best of 3 Wild Card rounds before moving onto the standard DS, CS & WS.

Expand to 32 teams.

4 x 8 team divisions (AL/NL East/West)

12 games vs 7 division opponents = 84 games

6 games vs 8 league opponents = 48 games

3 games vs 8 interleague opponents = 24 games

TOTAL = 156 games

The last week/six games of the season would be flexible scheduling to decide close races, determine playoff seeding / draft order etc.

Each division winner gets a bye, while the four best non division winners play best of 3 Wild Card rounds before moving onto the standard DS, CS & WS.

Maybe I'm not following you correctly(2 kids and 1 under two months so I'm sleeeeepy), but youd have 4 byes and then 4 teams playing wild card against each other? That would send two teams on and leave them with 6. Or do you mean the next 8 non division winners play to make 4 teams moving on?

Edit: I got it figured out now. Yes. I do like that as well. I do think the time to change up divisions is here.

Archived