Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Signing Thread (Non-Brewers)

Eye Black
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
***** Old friend alert *****

Ben Gamel to CLE on a minor league deal with NRI..

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/02/indians-sign-ben-gamel.html

That's a good signing for Cleveland. Gamel likely will end up starting for them.

Possible but I think unlikely..

Depends on health of others & Gamel's ability to be solid in CF..

Funny side note: Gamel was once dealt for Domingo Santana. Domingo got a deal with CLE last year & did not make it thru the season before getting sent to the alternate site & then released over the off season.

***** Old friend alert *****

Ben Gamel to CLE on a minor league deal with NRI..

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/02/indians-sign-ben-gamel.html

That's a good signing for Cleveland. Gamel likely will end up starting for them.

Possible but I think unlikely..

Depends on health of others & Gamel's ability to be solid in CF..

Funny side note: Gamel was once dealt for Domingo Santana. Domingo got a deal with CLE last year & did not make it thru the season before getting sent to the alternate site & then released over the off season.

I think Gamel probably chose the best chance he's going to get at regular playing time. Before they signed Rosario, Cleveland may have had the worst projected OF in the majors. Now that is probably the Cardinals, though.

Blue Jays signed David Phelps to a one-year, $1.75 million deal today. Phelps was with the Blue Jays back in 2019 when they traded him mid-season to the Cubs for RHP Thomas Hatch. Hatch had a solid debut season for the Blue Jays last year (2.73 ERA over 26.1 IP), but now ironically the Phelps signing may make it tougher for Hatch to break camp in the big league bullpen in 2021.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Marwin Gonzalez reportedly signing a free agent deal with the Red Sox (one-year, $3 million).

Some other notable free agent names...

Ken Giles signing a two-year agreement with the Mariners.

Nomar Mazara close to signing with the Tigers

Brad Miller discussing a potential contract with the Phillies.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Mike Moustakas is just a guy. I don't know why he has such a cult following. He has a lower career WAR than Kolton Wong despite being 2 years older.

I have no idea why someone felt him worthy of a 64 million dollar contract. I don't begrudge him for it, he seems like a nice guy. But I'm glad it wasn't us.

Mike Moustakas is just a guy. I don't know why he has such a cult following. He has a lower career WAR than Kolton Wong despite being 2 years older.

I have no idea why someone felt him worthy of a 64 million dollar contract. I don't begrudge him for it, he seems like a nice guy. But I'm glad it wasn't us.

Moose's first All Star season was 2015, here's how he & Kolten stack up over that time per BRef...

Moose | 2707 PA | 262/326/490 (114 OPS+) | -13 BSR | -11 FLD | 12.1 WAR

Kolten | 2549 PA | 266/343/389 (98 OPS+) | +19 BSR | +46 FLD | 15.1 WAR

FanGraphs uses UZR for their defensive input, so it's a little closer there with Kolten (99 wRC+ / +18.3 BSR / +28.0 FLD / 13.8 WAR) still edging Moose (113 wRC+ / -17.2 BSR / +1.2 FLD / 12.5 WAR).

It's pretty much Moneyball 101, dingerz get paid, but the guy who walks & runs the bases & fields can provide more overall value for a lower cost.

I think there's a lot to like about Moose as a player if someone is just being a fan and not looking at the money, but yeah when he signed elsewhere for the money he did you wish him well and say thanks for the memories. I don't recall anybody here wishing the Brewers had signed him to the contract the Reds did, if there were a few they were in the minority. Or am I remembering wrong?
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Looking like Arrieta going back to the Cubs. MLBTR saying one year around 6.5/7 million.

Phillies gave him 3 years & 75 million (about 62 million Covid Adjusted) for 352 IP of 99 ERA+ which comes out to 4.4 WAR by BRef's calculations.

ZiPS projects him for 114 IP at 94 ERA+ (1.1 WAR) for 2021.

James Paxton to the Mariners. Free agents dropping like flies now.

DAMN IT!

1 year, $8.5 million. I sure as heck hope he really wanted to pitch in Seattle, because if the Brewers weren't offering someone with his kind of talent more than that, shame on them.

Totally agree with you on this... The only other starter I really want to take a shot on is Walker... Wanted Paxton bad!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived