Brewer Fanatic

Fans at 2021 games

NYChez
There is probably market research somewhere that shows a team will sell more beer and drinks when food is allowed to be carried in

I think it's faaaaaar more likely that it's just an antiquated policy that has held over for years that most baseball teams haven't tried to change while all other sports made the changes years ago.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is probably market research somewhere that shows a team will sell more beer and drinks when food is allowed to be carried in

I think it's faaaaaar more likely that it's just an antiquated policy that has held over for years that most baseball teams haven't tried to change while all other sports made the changes years ago.

The Brewers have definitely talked about that policy in the past and mentioned that they felt it was good for them to allow it. I believe Rick Shleshinger (yes I know that is spelt wrong) had mentioned it when the metal detectors were becoming a thing and some were concerned.

At least in the past I think they realized their consumer base at the ballpark isn't loaded with tourists and businessman, instead has a huge contingent of families. The only stadium I have been to that has more stuff aimed at kids/families than Miller Park/Brewers is the Kansas City Royals who have a pretty incredible kids area. Though disclaimer...I have not been to a ton of stadiums.

But that doesn't really make sense because it assumes the folks who are in charge of concessions/game day revenue for most of the teams are terrible at their jobs because they would have missed an obvious way to increase revenue before 2021, or were ignorant of what other teams in other leagues and cities have been doing.

But that doesn't really make sense because it assumes the folks who are in charge of concessions/game day revenue for most of the teams are terrible at their jobs because they would have missed an obvious way to increase revenue before 2021, or were ignorant of what other teams in other leagues and cities have been doing.

Of course it makes sense if part of what you're doing is avoiding a PR problem, which is 100% what keeping that policy in place is. Now, you change the policy due to an external circumstance that makes the PR part less of an issue (COVID), and when that issue is no longer an issue, you keep the new policy in place with far less of a PR hit.

It makes sense to do it now. They don't need any incentive for attendance as long as it's capped at 25%. The carry-in policy is a savvy way to get people who might not otherwise go, to hit up a game or two. Most games don't sell out. Even if in-gate spend for someone is 0 or $5, that's still a big win for the team if the alternative is an empty seat, which most nights in Milwaukee, there are some, or quite a few. It makes sense that they are doing nothing to incentivize attendance right now, while simultaneously maximizing profit from the folks that are coming.

It's a much more palatable experience for a family of 4 of average means if they can bring a picnic lunch in.

I run an entertainment business that gets thousands of people that come in and carry-ins is a frequent question. We do not allow carry-ins even though people love to whine about it.

People, especially those with kids, are slobs and it is a big enough pain in the butt to clean up after them. I would hate to do it on food that I didn't even sell them.

To me it comes down to this. If you ban it are the people willing to go through the trouble of bringing in food going to provide the same revenue or more once they can't bring in food? I would argue that is probably not the case. Those people are going to end up not coming or they will eat before they come in. You have to be pretty frugal (or simply not that well off) to be bringing in food. I would imagine a very small portion are going to go from a $4 homemade meal to a $7.50 brat.

I don't think this is a long term change and if it is I think it is kind of a poor one. I don't think it moves the revenue needle that much regardless, but I would feel bad for the people that such a change would greatly damper their gameday experience.

Those people are going to end up not coming or they will eat before they come in.

In a lot of cases, absolutely. But it won't be 100% of the cases, and if 10% of those people now buy a $30 meal in the stadium, that's thousands of extra revenue they had NO share of previously.

They'll use the return of tailgating as the 'bone' they'll throw to those people: "We're excited to announce the return of tailgating to the Am Fam Clam parking lots in 2022!!!!!!! No carry-ins."

Those people are going to end up not coming or they will eat before they come in.

In a lot of cases, absolutely. But it won't be 100% of the cases, and if 10% of those people now buy a $30 meal in the stadium, that's thousands of extra revenue they had NO share of previously.

They'll use the return of tailgating as the 'bone' they'll throw to those people: "We're excited to announce the return of tailgating to the Am Fam Clam parking lots in 2022!!!!!!! No carry-ins."

Yah, like I said, I don't think it matters much financially either way. Though it is always nice for people to have options in that case. I can't say I would be said to see security lines go faster because of it.

I would fully support the ban of carry-ins and moving to the Atlanta Falcons(?) model where food is actually reasonably priced and you are not getting robbed buying a hot dog. Though some can correct me if I am wrong and the Falcons don't do the cheaper food anymore. However, I thought that was a big deal when they opened the stadium and they seemed proud over it.

I would think if the Brewers said no carry-ins but we are adopting the Falcons pricing, people wouldn't gripe much. I agree that the food is just too damn overpriced. It doesn't need to be that way. With what Milwaukee offers for people going to the games this could be a major win. I wish we had a beat writer that would ask about something like this...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

For a team like the Brewers it would hurt financially and I don't think it is small. Right now is fine like oldschoolsnapper said but I do believe they fear a large dip in attendance if it was policy.

For a team like the Brewers it would hurt financially and I don't think it is small.

Agree to disagree, then. I think people will adapt and either pay for food in the stadium, or eat before hand, and people who choose not to go to a game altogether as a result will be a significant minority IMO.

Not surprising that they made this change now. The Brewers are running a pretty high payroll, especially with the losses they took last year and currently only allowing 25% of fans in. Do you want to pay a few extra dollars on food for a couple games during the season or run an $80 million payroll and not have Wong and Bradley? Thus, watching a pretty uninspiring group of guys giving us an extremely outside chance of doing much this season? The money has to come from somewhere.

For a team like the Brewers it would hurt financially and I don't think it is small.

Agree to disagree, then. I think people will adapt and either pay for food in the stadium, or eat before hand, and people who choose not to go to a game altogether as a result will be a significant minority IMO.

I think you might be right actually. That's usually how these sorts of things happen. It's much easier to get people to go along with something "temporarily," then it's less of a big deal when the change is made permanent.

Somewhat on topic, quite a few years ago I brought a can of Diet Root Beer to a game. I know you're not supposed to bring cans but that's all I had at home and I wasn't going to pay $8 or whatever for a soda. After a few innings I opened it and put it in the cupholder. A little while later I saw an usher walking to me and I knew he was coming to take my can. He comes up to me and says "no cans allowed". So I give him my can. He then pulls out a plastic cup, pours the soda in the cup and gives it to me. Worked out better than I hoped.

From what I can see on the Brewers website, food and snack carry ins are prohibited (on both of these pages) while beverage carry ins are still allowed but limited to one per person (according to the second page, which does seem to have been updated for 2021 rules):

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/ballpark/covid-19

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/ballpark/security

Personally, I like to bring in my own stuff because then I know what I'm getting and don't have to waste time standing in line to buy unhealthy food that also happens to be overpriced. I also have water whenever I need it (I drink a lot). Cost isn't a concern, but convenience and knowing what I'm getting are. When I'm in the mood I'll spend whatever they're charging for whatever food or beverage I want, I just happen to prefer other stuff in many cases. Its also way easier to bring your own go-to food options for little kids.

I totally understand that we are in a "New Normal" on policies due to COVID. However, when they return to more regular seating and admission I hope they relax the food policy to at least allow some carry-ins. Baseball is different from many sports in amount of games. For example - I will attend 40+ games per year, probably 60+ when counting minor league games, road trips, etc. I know some of you can eat brats every day of the year, but by game 5 of a home stand I've pretty much had my fill of stadium food. The Brewers have increased their variety, but it still lacks compared to many stadiums I've attended. Plus, it gets real expensive with tickets, parking, etc. for that many games. I could attend less games, but that will impact attendance for me and many others. The ability to bring my own peanuts, licorice, a sandwich, etc. really helps.

I'm sure they have done cost / profit analysis on all the options, though. Hopefully whatever we end up with is palatable for the fans. The Brewers seem to have a unique fan base, as seen by the outstanding attendance numbers in recent years. I would suspect they'd want to be careful not to reduce that too much over the long term.

Chicken strips and tots for $8-$9 is the best deal they have. Just sayin...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Chicken strips and tots for $8-$9 is the best deal they have. Just sayin...

:laughing I tend to agree. For the price it is pretty good and hard to get a bad chicken strip. I refuse to get hamburgers anymore because the consistency is terrible.

Way long ago when AJ Bombers had little restaurant off the RF corner I thought it was easily the best deal in the ballpark. Yah, the meals were like $14, but the quality was in a different universe compared to the trash at the concession stands. I remember getting some away team themed pork sliders and cheese curds for around $14. In reality the price didn't seem overly inflated compared to what it would have costed outside the stadium. It is like if you could get to-go food from the restaurant in LF...it would easily be the best value even though the price would be the most expensive.

If my choice is a $7.50 frozen puck on a bun or a $10 high quality burger, I am paying the extra $2.50. Unfortunately, while the quality has improved, it still isn't the best.

Also, while we are on the topic of food, someone please tell the Brewers to put in some stands that actually make fresh sausages. I have said it many times before, but it is embarrassing we have a sausage race every game and can't offer a sausage above elementary picnic standards. Anyone who has gone to a game in Chicago knows what I am talking about. They have stands that grill up the sausages right in front of you and you get it straight off the grill. Amazing! Tailgate quality links! ….Rant Over

Any season seat holders get any information yet on tickets? Sounded like they were finally going to shed some light on things this week...but thus, crickets. Of course I am far down the line of getting information, any full season holders get any specific correspondence yet?

Archived