Brewer Fanatic

Fans at 2021 games

NYChez
No tailgating stinks, but I totally understand why and I am not upset about it. Yes it is outside, but some of those tailgate parties grow pretty large. They just want to avoid as many large crowds together, it makes sense. I'm sure at some point during the year they will allow it. I am just thrilled that I will be able to go to games in person this season. I will follow whatever protocols they have. Our family had to at Disney and Sea World in February and it was a great time.

I don't think the tailgating has much to do with anything other than optics. There are all kinds of arguments about spread and what not, but in reality someone going to a game to get piss drunk has very, very likely not been taking this whole thing super seriously. And it will still be pretty low overall risk at a 25% full stadium.

It simply just doesn't look good to open out of the gates with bag toss and 40 people drinking out of red solo cups. I'm not upset with the team in the slightest. With the rules in place and some things off the table, you get a different pool of people who are showing up too. It'll be people who know what they are getting into and will just do what they've been asked.

I would assume many of those who chose to "follow the rules" and not tailgate before the game will instead sit in the enclosed space of a bar for a couple hours before the game while crammed in with a bunch of strangers without masks. [sarcasm]Corona averted![/sarcasm]

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No tailgating stinks, but I totally understand why and I am not upset about it. Yes it is outside, but some of those tailgate parties grow pretty large. They just want to avoid as many large crowds together, it makes sense. I'm sure at some point during the year they will allow it. I am just thrilled that I will be able to go to games in person this season. I will follow whatever protocols they have. Our family had to at Disney and Sea World in February and it was a great time.

I don't think the tailgating has much to do with anything other than optics. There are all kinds of arguments about spread and what not, but in reality someone going to a game to get piss drunk has very, very likely not been taking this whole thing super seriously. And it will still be pretty low overall risk at a 25% full stadium.

It simply just doesn't look good to open out of the gates with bag toss and 40 people drinking out of red solo cups. I'm not upset with the team in the slightest. With the rules in place and some things off the table, you get a different pool of people who are showing up too. It'll be people who know what they are getting into and will just do what they've been asked.

I would assume many of those who chose to "follow the rules" and not tailgate before the game will instead sit in the enclosed space of a bar for a couple hours before the game while crammed in with a bunch of strangers without masks. [sarcasm]Corona averted![/sarcasm]

Sure, that'll happen. But if someone catches it, they won't be able to blame it on the Brewers. Never underestimate the power of plausible deniability.

I think the no tailgating edict is coming from the health department not the Brewers.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The maximum allowed attendance vs. actual attendance will be interesting to watch. At least personally I made it this far without catching 'rona so it seems dumb to risk it when a vaccine is only a few months away. I'll wait until the weather is nice in June or July to see a baseball game.

I'm sure many will be watching to see how the initial rollout goes. If it feels like a superspreader event I bet attendance will struggle to meet capacity.

I looked into ticket availability at some Spring Training games in Florida, and every game was sold out. I'd guess that most "25% capacity" games will sell out... at least for teams that normally have decent attendance at their games.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think the no tailgating edict is coming from the health department not the Brewers.

I am guessing the Brewers made the executive decision to put the tailgating ban in their master plan before they even talked to the city. Mostly because they probably knew the city wouldn't allow it.

Sure, that'll happen. But if someone catches it, they won't be able to blame it on the Brewers. Never underestimate the power of plausible deniability.

This was honestly one of my assumptions as well, regarding liability. You can, in a lot of ways, control what happens in the stadium. You can't at all in a parking lot. Eliminating that eliminates a larger potential liability problem for the team/city.

And yes, as someone noted, I'm sure the team isn't at all disappointed with the 'drink our beer, not yours' aspect of this with limited capacity keeping revenue down.

For sure, but I don't think they fought it. There is no real incentive for them to deal with it at 25% capacity. It's probably an annoyance if you think about it. A lot of people go just for that reason, it's one of the perks of Milwaukee baseball. I think at 25% capacity they will sell those tickets regardless. And now they don't have to supervise it.

I am guessing the Brewers made the executive decision to put the tailgating ban in their master plan before they even talked to the city. Mostly because they probably knew the city wouldn't allow it.

Rick Schlesinger indicated this morning in an interview that the Brewers wanted tailgating, but pretty much sounded like the Brewers had to give the health department something in order for them to agree to the 25% capacity. Tough to tell, though, because he's sort of sleazy and adept and corporate-speak.

For sure, but I don't think they fought it. There is no real incentive for them to deal with it at 25% capacity. It's probably an annoyance if you think about it. A lot of people go just for that reason, it's one of the perks of Milwaukee baseball. I think at 25% capacity they will sell those tickets regardless. And now they don't have to supervise it.

Right and there aren't all that many people tailgating mid week in April.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I just read something that apparently no carry ins. Looks like the brewers trying to make up for lost revenue any way they can.

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/ballpark/covid-19

The "No bag" policy and the no carry-ins allowed.... using covid-19 as an excuse.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I just read something that apparently no carry ins. Looks like the brewers trying to make up for lost revenue any way they can.

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/ballpark/covid-19

The "No bag" policy and the no carry-ins allowed.... using covid-19 as an excuse.

I don't see how keeping food and beverage from being brought in does anything to prevent covid. If anything, more people will be buying food in longer concessions lines. Unless their thought process is no bag checks, get people in the door faster...but with the metal detectors that's gonna be a huge pain anyways... Eliminating bags isn't really going to impact that much.

It's clearly a money grab. Their stadium, their rules. I don't care for it though and hopefully it changes. I personally should be getting F&B vouchers through SSH paying early and will use those for drinks in game on the occasion I go...which will be considerably less than normal especially the first few months of the season.

I would be surprised if carry-in food isn't reinstated post COVID world. The Brewers know their demographics and carry-in food was allowed for a reason.

Seems very easy, though, just to not change the policy after it's implemented. They are, to my knowledge, the only Wisconsin sports team that allows this in the first place. Not shocking, IMO, if this is a permanent change.

I always thought it was weird they allowed carry-ins.

I always thought it was weird they allowed carry-ins.

Me too. When I had a family bring in a feast of sushi one game I just thought, why?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why is it weird? Not every family or person can/wants to pay $10 for a hot dog, chips, and drink. If you go to the ballpark and drop money like you are at a 5-star place in Beverly Hills, that's great. It also makes a ton of sense for families beyond prices. Some kids what a PB&J, not a brat. I don't think juice/milk options are super plentiful and standing in line for 15 minutes with kids is...not fun. I am guessing this makes the experience 100x more enjoyable for those that do it.

Yah, bringing in sushi or massive buckets of KFC chicken is a little weird, but I rarely see that. Usually it is logical things like a sandwich or tailgate food.

For the record, no I do not carry in food. Sometimes I will carry in a bottle of pop though. My wife is the type that wants to get a jumbo pretzel, then go get actual food, and then walks past the taco stand in the 6th inning thus requiring some $14 taco plate. She also loves the SSH cup so we can get up 5 times a game to refill it. Personally, I am the one that carries in nothing so I don't have to be 'that guy' in the security line. Usually I just have my phone, wallet, and keys.

I think it's weird because no other stadium I've been to allows it. I'm sure there are a few though.

edit - I guess a lot of baseball stadiums do. Lambeau does not.

I think it's weird because no other stadium I've been to allows it. I'm sure there are a few though.

Yep. I've long been perplexed that they allow this, honestly. I think the Badgers even did away with carry-in sealed water a few years back. There'll be a minor outcry initially, then it will completely be forgotten. Much like the 'clear bag/no carry-in' policy for the Packers/Badgers as well.

I think it will dramatically change the experience for a lot of people...though I am not sure exactly how large of a group that is. I think it is more than being upset about a clear bag policy. I typically sit in the first level and rarely see carry-in food...but I figure most of the carry-in food ends up in the terrace/bleachers.

My problem is when my four year old sees the dipping dots stand and then instantly needs ice cream. Before this season I am studying the food map and finding out how to avoid ice cream vendors because it is never just getting it once...it is usually begged for again before the game is done.

I don't know that it's 100% fair to blame the Brewers for this one, it's possible this was forced by state/city whatever due to COVID. I still disagree if that's the reasoning, but possible. I remember years ago being absolutely furious with the Brewers when they stopped allowing carry-out long islands from TGI Fridays...you had to stay in the TGI area and finish your drink. Back in my mid-late 20s, those long islands for $8-9 were one of the best values in the park...we'd have a couple people go get them every couple innings and bring back 2 each to our seats. When they stopped allowing it, I just assumed the Brewers wanted people to pay $12 for their version of a long island that was half the size and not nearly as good. I learned a couple years later that it was a city/state thing, and it actually makes sense when you compare it to the rules of other bars that don't allow you to leave the premises with drinks. So it definitely sucks and I don't agree with it, but I wouldn't go as far as to say this is likely to become a permanent rule.

I always bring in peanuts and water plus something to drink for the kids. I go to a lot more Brewers games than Packers or Bucks. Would certainly go less if I had to pay $4.25 for water. Wouldn't impact me much though if I could bring in my own bottle and fill up at a water station.

Yep. I've long been perplexed that they allow this, honestly. I think the Badgers even did away with carry-in sealed water a few years back. There'll be a minor outcry initially, then it will completely be forgotten. Much like the 'clear bag/no carry-in' policy for the Packers/Badgers as well.

Pre pandemic, Wrigley Field allowed food to be carried in.

There is probably market research somewhere that shows a team will sell more beer and drinks when food is allowed to be carried in, and there's a 200% or more mark up on beer and drinks which likely far exceeds the mark up on food anyways.

Archived