Brewer Fanatic

Fans at 2021 games

NYChez
Seems pretty easy to enforce. They already really clamped down on kicking people out by the 3rd inning. With a 25% capacity it doesn't seem too tough to bike around telling people they can't tailgate. I guess any news in good news regarding attending games, but this feels stupid and I don't know why anybody would want to invest season ticket money in it. It's one thing to grab a random game or two, but this just isn't the value you get in a normal year.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Fans will be allowed to watch a game in person in Milwaukee for the first time in 18 months. That is something that should be celebrated. But idiots like Bill Michaels are going off on both his radio show and on Twitter bashing the team for not allowing tailgating to start the season.

I'm so happy that guy is much more difficult to find on the airwaves now. What a windbag!

Tailgating was almost for sure a non-starter for the city. At best, they would allow tailgating with a capacity at 5% or something. It makes no sense for the Brewers to die on that hill anyway. They'll fill 25% without it and get more money inside the gates without tailgating.

My guess is there will be tailgating at some point, probably sooner than most think.

Explain the tailgating thing.... People who will be sitting by each other in the park cannot eat and drink with each other outside the park? And did I mention outside? The parking lot is plenty large enough to allow spacing of vehicles.

but tailgating not allowed.

And this will be enforced how? I'm assuming the parking lots will be open since people need to park somewhere. Are they going to have security or police walking the lots telling drunks they can't stand around outside their cars? That's not going to end well.

That's what they do in about the third inning anyway.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Explain the tailgating thing.... People who will be sitting by each other in the park cannot eat and drink with each other outside the park? And did I mention outside? The parking lot is plenty large enough to allow spacing of vehicles.

I mean I have no idea how they are going to do this...but most sports teams have had people in pods of 2 to 4.

Lets be honest, tailgating would have people creating groups of 20+ quickly.

Drunks aren't good at distancing or anything really. Now if you're asking me personally, it's all a bit theatrical, but from their perspective if they have to pass this off as "safe," a very bad way of doing that is the two-fisted slobber sauntering through the entry gate 10 beers deep.

I'd imagine the whole roof open/closed discussion as to viral transmission rates pales in comparison to what their policy will be related to bathroom use and food vendor layout along the concourses. An open or closed roof 150+ feet over everyone's head doesn't impact risk near as much as a well orchestrated policy at the areas where people are going to congregate (bathrooms, concessions, gates, etc).

With 25% capacity limitations hopefully they also have initial restrictions on what portions of the ballpark various tickets are able to access - otherwise 25% capacity all crammed down to the lower bowl or all able to access the main concourse will make chunks of the stadium completely empty and other portions feel like it's at capacity.

And most importantly, by the end of April there should be enough of the general population who have either had/recovered from COVID or been fully vaccinated - particularly among at risk groups and age brackets - to just tie a bow on this whole damn thing and remove public restrictions altogether. Honestly we are probably about at that point already but just need to go through another case spike a few weeks from now coupled with a lack of a hospitalization spike to achieve enough of a public sense of calm to move on.

With 25% capacity limitations hopefully they also have initial restrictions on what portions of the ballpark various tickets are able to access - otherwise 25% capacity all crammed down to the lower bowl or all able to access the main concourse will make chunks of the stadium completely empty and other portions feel like it's at capacity.

This is clearly why they promised season tickets as long as you conceded your seat getting moved all the time. They already screen for club tickets, I am guessing they do that at each level; can't get to loge without loge ticket, etc.

Also one way to look at it: If you took every person up to no good at games, not following rules, and creating problems...what percentage do you think tailgated before the game? Most of these problems are created by drunks and most started drinking before they walked in the doors.

I think banning the tailgating for now helps you make sure you have more of that 25% following the guidelines and creates one less avenue for guidelines to become a problem.

EDIT:

Another way to look at it: Faster they get you inside the faster you can spend inside. No beer or food in parking lot? More they will sell inside to fill you up. Nothing happening in the parking lot, less they have to spend on employees out there. Sounds like it is better for profits in a reduced capacity situation. They won't need the tailgate crowd as much.

I'd imagine the whole roof open/closed discussion as to viral transmission rates pales in comparison to what their policy will be related to bathroom use and food vendor layout along the concourses. An open or closed roof 150+ feet over everyone's head doesn't impact risk near as much as a well orchestrated policy at the areas where people are going to congregate (bathrooms, concessions, gates, etc).

I think that's just it. They can control where people go once they get inside the stadium. They have much less opportunity to do that in the parking lot.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And most importantly, by the end of April there should be enough of the general population who have either had/recovered from COVID or been fully vaccinated - particularly among at risk groups and age brackets - to just tie a bow on this whole damn thing and remove public restrictions altogether. Honestly we are probably about at that point already but just need to go through another case spike a few weeks from now coupled with a lack of a hospitalization spike to achieve enough of a public sense of calm to move on.

You greatly underestimate both the percentage of the population that is willing to get vaccinated and the percentage required to achieve the level of herd immunity to “tie a bow on this whole damn thing”. Too many of us are educated and understand the risks and will not attend mass gatherings without appropriate restrictions in place.

So those restrictions will continue in some fashion for the rest of the year most likely. Masks will be the last to go because they don’t impede anyone making money. We’ll have games at 100% capacity with masks still required, guaranteed. The Brewers make more money in that situation than not requiring masks but having most of us stay home. It’s the same reason nearly all the stores and businesses here still require masks despite no legal requirement to do so. They don’t want to lose their best customers.

The Brewers (and anyone in the sports/entertainment business) knows that the key to recovery is making those of us who’ve taken this seriously feel safe. If we don’t, we won’t show up and as the past year has shown, these businesses lose big $ when their only clientele is the anti-masker anti-vaccine minority.

So now that multiple states have went to "100% open" with no mask mandates, how will MLB handle it? Will they implement a league-wide policy and force the teams in the "open" states to comply, or will they let each team set their policy based on their specific state's policies?

Note that if they put in a league-wide policy, it would seem that it would need to be at least as strict as the strictest state's (of the states that have a MLB team) policies.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

You greatly underestimate both the percentage of the population that is willing to get vaccinated and the percentage required to achieve the level of herd immunity to “tie a bow on this whole damn thing”. Too many of us are educated and understand the risks and will not attend mass gatherings without appropriate restrictions in place.

So those restrictions will continue in some fashion for the rest of the year most likely. Masks will be the last to go because they don’t impede anyone making money. We’ll have games at 100% capacity with masks still required, guaranteed. The Brewers make more money in that situation than not requiring masks but having most of us stay home. It’s the same reason nearly all the stores and businesses here still require masks despite no legal requirement to do so. They don’t want to lose their best customers.

The Brewers (and anyone in the sports/entertainment business) knows that the key to recovery is making those of us who’ve taken this seriously feel safe. If we don’t, we won’t show up and as the past year has shown, these businesses lose big $ when their only clientele is the anti-masker anti-vaccine minority.

There is no greater pandemic in this country than the mental pandemic of those who think they are intelligent and educated. If no tailgating and cloth or paper masks worn sometimes but not while not eating or drinking makes the "educated" feel warm and fuzzy inside, I guess that's what will have to be done for a while.

So now that multiple states have went to "100% open" with no mask mandates, how will MLB handle it? Will they implement a league-wide policy and force the teams in the "open" states to comply, or will they let each team set their policy based on their specific state's policies?

Note that if they put in a league-wide policy, it would seem that it would need to be at least as strict as the strictest state's (of the states that have a MLB team) policies.

Not a chance that MLB goes to a most restrictive state's policy. If the NFL did that the season would have ended when San Fran was forced to play their final home games in Arizona. If the NBA did that there would be no fans at games.

There is no greater pandemic in this country than the mental pandemic of those who think they are intelligent and educated. If no tailgating and cloth or paper masks worn sometimes but not while not eating or drinking makes the "educated" feel warm and fuzzy inside, I guess that's what will have to be done for a while.

Thanks, I was not sure how to state that without blowing up.

Most people that are tailgating together are a family and/or friends that hangout all the time anyway watching sports together on TV or just hanging out. I don’t foresee there being much of an increase strictly because of a couple hours of tailgating at the park. What about them sitting by each other at the park? Riding in the car without masks on? Hanging out at home with their friends partying anyway? But being outside tailgating is an issue? Come on.

No way. If there's any truth to the amount of money that's been lost over the last year, they need to allow as many fans as possible. Throw whatever meaningless restrictions on for optics for a little while but we should be full go within a few months.

Community Moderator

The maximum allowed attendance vs. actual attendance will be interesting to watch. At least personally I made it this far without catching 'rona so it seems dumb to risk it when a vaccine is only a few months away. I'll wait until the weather is nice in June or July to see a baseball game.

I'm sure many will be watching to see how the initial rollout goes. If it feels like a superspreader event I bet attendance will struggle to meet capacity.

No tailgating stinks, but I totally understand why and I am not upset about it. Yes it is outside, but some of those tailgate parties grow pretty large. They just want to avoid as many large crowds together, it makes sense. I'm sure at some point during the year they will allow it. I am just thrilled that I will be able to go to games in person this season. I will follow whatever protocols they have. Our family had to at Disney and Sea World in February and it was a great time.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Thanks, I was not sure how to state that without blowing up.

I say it as someone who does buy into the optics. My work involves traveling to meet on location with various business owners and executives all day. I wear a mask. I bring sanitizer and use it as I often touch paper records provided by them along with desks, chairs i sit in, etc. I make sure to always use the sanitizer in front of them. In today's world, optics are everything. The "intelligent and educated" are among us and ready to report you if they don't feel safe.

The "intelligent and educated" are among us and ready to report you if they don't feel safe.

As a reminder, there's a separate COVID thread for discussion about COVID and COVID related items. For a greater discussion on stuff like the above, that probably belongs there.

Otherwise, please keep this thread limited to COVID associated with MLB/fan-related 'protocol' and re-opening discussion.

Thanks.

It's unfortunate that this has seemingly turned into an "us versus them" thing. From my vantagepoint, everyone is dealing with it, and nearly everyone deals in a different way.

It is certainly my hope that the mask thing comes to an end at some point this summer, though. I would hope that would include MLB stadiums.

No tailgating stinks, but I totally understand why and I am not upset about it. Yes it is outside, but some of those tailgate parties grow pretty large. They just want to avoid as many large crowds together, it makes sense. I'm sure at some point during the year they will allow it. I am just thrilled that I will be able to go to games in person this season. I will follow whatever protocols they have. Our family had to at Disney and Sea World in February and it was a great time.

I don't think the tailgating has much to do with anything other than optics. There are all kinds of arguments about spread and what not, but in reality someone going to a game to get piss drunk has very, very likely not been taking this whole thing super seriously. And it will still be pretty low overall risk at a 25% full stadium.

It simply just doesn't look good to open out of the gates with bag toss and 40 people drinking out of red solo cups. I'm not upset with the team in the slightest. With the rules in place and some things off the table, you get a different pool of people who are showing up too. It'll be people who know what they are getting into and will just do what they've been asked.

Archived