Brewer Fanatic

Fans at 2021 games

NYChez
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The roof being open won't have any impact on particle dispersion or air flow. For air flow having the panels open and the roof closed will actually have a bigger positive impact on air flow than having the roof open.

Is there a study out there on that? Or just your opinion?

Try doing the math behind it and then look at how AMFAM will create a vortex. You can put this into a model and use smoke as a guide to see how the air flow is impacted.

For particle dispersion it doesn't matter if the roof is open or closed. The particles are going to disperse at the same rate. I would like to know how you think they would disperse differently with a roof open versus closed.

So you've put it into a model? We'd love to see your work.

In my mind, you're arguing the equivalent of 'inside your house is the same as outdoors as long as you have your windows open'. Which no one has claimed to be accurate or safe, to my knowledge.

If you make a matter-of-fact statement like "The roof being open won't have any impact on particle dispersion or air flow.", please be expected to cite your sources or show your work. Absent that, "won't have any impact" is simply your opinion, not fact. Which is fine if that's the case, but it just should be presented as such, IMO.

I'm not seeing how this is even remotely comparable to a 2000 sq ft house with a bunch of tiny rooms within and the windows open. It's a 50k capacity building with 10-15k people inside and a 330' foot roof. The square footage of AmFam is 1.2 million. And you have to wear a mask. So if I sneeze on the club level all my snot particles get sucked up into the night sky I guess.

Seems like a non-existent or infinitesimally small "safety measure" for an awful lot of comfort sacrifice.

So, to summarize things.

Sitting on a full airplane shoulder to shoulder with a mask on for the duration of the flight = very low risk of transmission.

Sitting in a 1.2 million square foot stadium in pods at 1/3 capacity, with a mask on, with the ceiling hundreds of feet above your head = risky enough that you must open the roof.

I'm willing to bet my life savings that it is an infinitesimally small if not non-existent risk. Lots of domed stadiums just had football games. It was fine. This is simply required to pass this off as an outdoor event. It's about as logical as building a tent next to a restaurant that isn't allowed to open.

Community Moderator

There are several ways that aerosols can disperse...diffusion is just one pathway. If you close the roof you are obviously going to be reducing advection of aerosols. Running the HVAC at full blast isn't going to do anything near what the wind and outdoor air currents can do to disperse aerosols.

This should be pretty obvious based on what happens inside of the AmClamshell on a hot summer evening when they have to keep the roof closed due to the threat of rain.

Plus the highly-contagious variants are going to be around this summer which we may or may not be immune to after vaccination. So yeah...the roof isn't going to be closed. It will be funny when the Brewers have a rain delay.

There are several ways that aerosols can disperse...diffusion is just one pathway. If you close the roof you are obviously going to be reducing advection of aerosols. Running the HVAC at full blast isn't going to do anything near what the wind and outdoor air currents can do to disperse aerosols.

This should be pretty obvious based on what happens inside of the AmClamshell on a hot summer evening when they have to keep the roof closed due to the threat of rain.

Plus the highly-contagious variants are going to be around this summer which we may or may not be immune to after vaccination. So yeah...the roof isn't going to be closed. It will be funny when the Brewers have a rain delay.

"The vastness of the stadium itself, which spans 1.2 million square feet with a retractable roof and retractable panels, which the Brewers would keep open more often in 2021 – even in colder weather, as long as there is no precipitation."

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/brewers-submit-occupancy-plan-for-american-family-field

Community Moderator

"The vastness of the stadium itself, which spans 1.2 million square feet with a retractable roof and retractable panels, which the Brewers would keep open more often in 2021 – even in colder weather, as long as there is no precipitation."

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/brewers-submit-occupancy-plan-for-american-family-field

Ohhhh, so they are planning on closing the roof if it rains. Interesting.

Lots of domed stadiums just had football games.

With nearly zero fans in the stands, for the record.

In the end, you can certainly state your opinion on whether it's necessary or not. But again, unless there's actual data to suggest that it does 'little to nothing', or that the benefit is "infinitesimally small" is merely opinion, not fact.

They can close the roof and open the panels during rain. I really think they should add gameday sales to people who can prove they've been vaccinated. Most of the ticket takers, ushers and many working in food service are 65 and over and most will be vaccinated by opening day.

If the roof were dangerous, they wouldn't close it and play during rain. They would call the game off. That tells me everything I need to know.

Yep, that it is preferable to have the roof open and will do so when they can. There's not a 100% dangerous - 100% safe threshold here. I'm sure they'll put in enough precautions to make it very safe even with the roof closed, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't keep it open as often as they can still.

They can close the roof and open the panels during rain. I really think they should add gameday sales to people who can prove they've been vaccinated. Most of the ticket takers, ushers and many working in food service are 65 and over and most will be vaccinated by opening day.

I just don't see this as a viable option. The majority of people who've been vaccinated are high risk for one reason or another and probably less likely to go in the first place. Plus I don't think there will be any shortage of demand for SSH. They'll have more requests for tickets from them than they have seats. And they will not be happy to see someone else who got a vaccine they can't get took their seats.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They already said it WILL be closed for precipitation, so, yes, it will be closed...and must not be that dangerous to do so either.

They are overly conservative on closing it in normal times. Many games with temps in the low 60's the roof is closed. Now it will be open. The reason to close the roof is so more people go to the games in inclement weather but that is not a factor since there won't be many people there to begin with.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They already said it WILL be closed for precipitation, so, yes, it will be closed...and must not be that dangerous to do so either.

They are overly conservative on closing it in normal times. Many games with temps in the low 60's the roof is closed. Now it will be open. The reason to close the roof is so more people go to the games in inclement weather but that is not a factor since there won't be many people there to begin with.

They are, but I can't think of a single evening game in April where I'd have wanted the roof open. That's not going to be in the 60s, it will be anywhere from high 30s to high 40s...the historical average night time temp is 37 degrees. I am hoping that they use that "unless it rains" caveat often and close it when it's 42 degrees and there's a cloud in Madison.

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of domed stadiums just had football games.

With nearly zero fans in the stands, for the record.

In the end, you can certainly state your opinion on whether it's necessary or not. But again, unless there's actual data to suggest that it does 'little to nothing', or that the benefit is "infinitesimally small" is merely opinion, not fact.

And this is your opinion, as well.

How about some everyday general facts? Basketball was and is played all around the country inside with small crowds with few setbacks. School is happening in most areas, in person and inside, with safety precautions. It has been universally going well. COVID numbers are going down almost across the board. Millions are getting the vaccine as we speak, as well.

I’m not sure what study one needs for this unique time in history. Our experts can’t grab stats from past years on this or quick do tests to replicate all the variables for all these baseball stadiums in each region. I agree that caution needs to happen first, from small crowds to larger, from mainly outside to more inside. See how it goes.

Making Oldschool the heavy or naive because he doesn’t have all the facts on the topic is an unfair comment to make. Enough similar, observable sports situations have occurred in the last few months for one to make logical sense.

And this is your opinion, as well.

It's my opinion that his opinion is opinion?

Making Oldschool the heavy or naive because he doesn’t have all the facts on the topic is an unfair comment to make. Enough similar, observable sports situations have occurred in the last few months for one to make logical sense.

That's not the argument that was made. The claim was made that having the roof open or closed had little effect. No proof one way or the other was offered. The claim was only made on one side. If someone had made the statement of 'having the roof open will make it completely safe for fans to attend,' it would also warrant factual evidence to support that claim.

Absent actual proof or without any sort of data to back it up, stating anything as fact is, by definition, not fact and shouldn't be presented as such. Absent fact, it's opinion. Not sure why you're taking offense on OSS's behalf, but hopefully that helps clarify my point.

They made it sound like if you wanted your 20 pack you were almost guaranteed to get it, provided that you knew your seat location would change a lot and you had to go with a fixed set of games. Fan's Choice wasn't really promised or offered. If your seat was worse, you got a credit for that game.

I basically opted out of this. I'll go month to month and maybe catch a game if I can, I can't justify the cost I already paid for what this is looking like. I'd rather just wait for next season.

but tailgating not allowed.

And this will be enforced how? I'm assuming the parking lots will be open since people need to park somewhere. Are they going to have security or police walking the lots telling drunks they can't stand around outside their cars? That's not going to end well.

but tailgating not allowed.

And this will be enforced how? I'm assuming the parking lots will be open since people need to park somewhere. Are they going to have security or police walking the lots telling drunks they can't stand around outside their cars? That's not going to end well.

I would assume that's exactly what they'll do. No loitering or you'll be arrested. With small numbers of fans, I really don't think it'll be a huge problem.

Archived