Brewer Fanatic

3b zach green minor league deal; non-roster invitee

djoctagone
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why not just release Shaw or send Hiura back down? They released Smoak last year when he put up similar numbers to Shaw.

Maybe it just seems this way, but hasn’t Shaw come through quite a bit in the clutch this year, and aren’t his RBIs a respectable number? I don’t recall Smoak really providing much in general, so even though Shaw’s numbers aren’t good, he has provided some value.

All that being said, if we could find a decent 1B I’d be all over sending Hiura down for an extended period and getting rid of Vogelbach and/or Shaw.

In the last 28 days Shaw has one homer and 5 RBI.

He had some big hits back in April, but honestly the guy is down to a .643 OPS. He hasn't been decent since 2018 and he's not giving any indication that he's anything other than what he is at this point.

Why not just release Shaw or send Hiura back down? They released Smoak last year when he put up similar numbers to Shaw.

Maybe it just seems this way, but hasn’t Shaw come through quite a bit in the clutch this year, and aren’t his RBIs a respectable number? I don’t recall Smoak really providing much in general, so even though Shaw’s numbers aren’t good, he has provided some value.

All that being said, if we could find a decent 1B I’d be all over sending Hiura down for an extended period and getting rid of Vogelbach and/or Shaw.

In the last 28 days Shaw has one homer and 5 RBI.

He had some big hits back in April, but honestly the guy is down to a .643 OPS. He hasn't been decent since 2018 and he's not giving any indication that he's anything other than what he is at this point.

It's unfortunate. I had high hopes for a Shaw rebound, but he likely is what he is at this point, which is a fringe major league player propped up by strong defense. He just doesn't have the bat speed and pitch recognition he had a few years ago.

I’d think Shaw would get a bit longer into June here to decide on him. It’s my hope that Urias just gets going and he sticks at 3B. I’d love an infield of Urias-Adames-Wong. Then it comes down to Hiura. If he continues to stink, hopefully Green is really having a breakout year. If not, we really need to be creative and find a 1B.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’d think Shaw would get a bit longer into June here to decide on him. It’s my hope that Urias just gets going and he sticks at 3B. I’d love an infield of Urias-Adames-Wong. Then it comes down to Hiura. If he continues to stink, hopefully Green is really having a breakout year. If not, we really need to be creative and find a 1B.

Hiura has been so comically bad almost anyone has to do better at this point. I'd love to see Green called up. If he manages to OPS .650 that would actually be an improvement of almost 200 points of OPS. Yes, Keston has been so bad that he would literally make Green look like Mike Trout by comparison if Green is only bad and not historically bad.

Hiura has been so comically bad almost anyone has to do better at this point. I'd love to see Green called up. If he manages to OPS .650 that would actually be an improvement of almost 200 points of OPS. Yes, Keston has been so bad that he would literally make Green look like Mike Trout by comparison if Green is only bad and not historically bad.

Shaw and Hiura are so bad, there really is no reason not to give Green a shot.

Heard that Green had 5HRs this last week. Get this over with and insert a bat that may actually produce. Hiura's week back 1hit 2BBs 9ks. 19PAs. Worse than Milw's SPs this last week.

Hiura since his May 1 call-back: 23 ABs - 1 Hit (.043 avg) - 2 BBs - 12 Ks. Even worse than he was to begin the season. Right now the worst non-pitcher hitter in baseball. Other 1Bs: Shaw .189/.282 - Vogelbach .204/.323. Just about anybody would be an improvement over this trio.

If the decision makers think Green gives them a better chance at winning they’ll make a move. However Winning teams usually don’t make a move to “shake up” the roster for the heck of it.

Well, they sent Huira down already this year. And neither Shaw nor Vogey are playing much right now. I wouldn't say that is "shaking things up"...

But didn't the Dodgers just sign Pujols and start playing him quite a bit?

Doesn't matter if you are winning or not. When you have a hole in your lineup, you need to work to fix it.

With Cain going on th DL maybe it's a chance to bring him up?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Think I went through the schedule and tonight is a lefty and then not another lefty until Sunday. Good chance Keston is down after tonight, he's shown no signs of improvement. Best bunting I've seen in years though. Green sure would be the logical choice here to give a chance being RH as well to balance with Shaw/Vogelbach. this would also buy them a couple weeks before deciding on which of Shaw/Vog to let go. I'd probably let Vog go even though he's been slightly better hitting, just due to positional flex.

Who knows if Green is anything more than a AAAA type but it's worth a chance, it would be very difficult to be worse than what they've been getting from this trio. And it's not like Green is a 31 year old who's never shown this before, he's at the right age where plenty of guys figure it out or do ok. Especially if you factor in a lost year last year.

Despite playing 3rd base and having a career OPS over .800 in the minors, Zach Green is with his third organization and has a 14 ABs in the major leagues (and those came with the rebuilding, 85 loss Giants in 2019), there is a reason he is where he is.

I don't think teams should make changes just to make changes, or adhere to idiomatic expressions like "they can't be worse", "it's worth a chance" etc.

Despite playing 3rd base and having a career OPS over .800 in the minors, Zach Green is with his third organization and has a 14 ABs in the major leagues (and those came with the rebuilding, 85 loss Giants in 2019), there is a reason he is where he is.

I don't think teams should make changes just to make changes, or adhere to idiomatic expressions like "they can't be worse", "it's worth a chance" etc.

Hiura and Shaw have been so bad, that it would actually be difficult for Green to be worse.

I see zero harm in sending Hiura down and Green up.

If Green is putrid, then fine, recall Hiura and cut/demote Green.

Sure, if they just think he'll suck it's their eyes/scouting and they're the experts. But, if any sport is an inexact science and scouts being wrong this is it.

But, the guy just turned 27 and his age 26 season was deleted. So it's not like it's weird for 25/26 year olds to come up for the first time or two and seeing how they do. so to me just saying that" since he hasn't been up proves he shouldn't be up" is a bit of a stretch. Especially in a situation like this where the three guys in his spot are doing truly awful, especially Keston.

I get what you're saying, and Green isn't much of an answer, but Hiura is at -1.3 bWAR in 33 games. That'd be -6.38 WAR over 162 games.

The worst seasons (per WAR) in MLB history were both -4.0 WAR by Jerry Royster for the 1977 Braves, and Jim Levey for the 1933 St. Louis Browns. Given enough time, Hiura could be at the top (bottom?) of that list. He needs an extended break at AAA, and if Green is the best we have to replace him, then bring on Zach Green. This might truly be a case of "they can't be worse."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I’m not a Hiura fan either, but since they called him up again despite no improvement in his 35%+ strike out ratio, it tells me they’re willing to live with that and poor defense if he can drive the ball like he did in that short span in AAA.

If Hiura can’t turn it around what’s the point in optioning him again? He’s been moved off of second to first base where his bat is ordinary among other first basemen. He’s fallen from an everyday starter to a platoon player, and he’s been optioned once. They probably should already swap him off in a change of scenery deal. I don’t see anything to be gained in the long run optioning him again and in the short run, it’s anybody’s guess if the Brewers have a replacement who would do better in a significant sample

I’m not a Hiura fan either, but since they called him up again despite no improvement in his 35%+ strike out ratio, it tells me they’re willing to live with that and poor defense if he can drive the ball like he did in that short span in AAA.

If Hiura can’t turn it around what’s the point in optioning him again? He’s been moved off of second to first base where his bat is ordinary among other first basemen. He’s fallen from an everyday starter to a platoon player, and he’s been optioned once. They probably should already swap him off in a change of scenery deal. I don’t see anything to be gained in the long run optioning him again and in the short run, it’s anybody’s guess if the Brewers have a replacement who would do better in a significant sample

The talent's there, but something's off either mentally or physically. Sort of like Corbin Burnes when he first came up. You don't just give up on that kind of talent on a whim, but I'd rather the problems get worked out in the minors rather than the majors. Hiura has never had an incentive to cut down on his strikeouts. A season of bus rides and lower pay, along with the knowledge that he won't get called back up until he rights the ship would be a whole lot of incentive to listen.

Overall, I'm pretty optimistic about the Brewers right now, but they do have some holes. One big one is a right-handed hitting first baseman who isn't an automatic out, and who has some idea how to play defensively. I doubt Green will be anything more than a serviceable replacement until someone better is found, but the Brewers need corner infield help. Until and unless someone better is brought in, Green is the most obvious answer.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hiura update since his call-back: 1 for 30 (.033) - an unbelievable 15 strikeouts - 2 walks. Optioning him is the only solution right now. He has to change something and the big leagues isn't the place to experiment. Right now he's almost worthless with a bat, so there really is nothing to lose.

Mike Yastremski was a 28 year old rookie.

Sometimes guys come up late and hit.

Most of the time they don't.

But.......sometimes they do.

I don't think Zach Green is the next Mike Yastremski. But in lieu of a .440 OPS 1st baseman and a 3rd baseman who's OPS'd around .550 the last month, I'd be willing to give Green at least a little bit of a look.

Archived