Brewer Fanatic

3b zach green minor league deal; non-roster invitee

djoctagone

zach green has been signed to a minor league contract, with an invitation to big league spring training.

green appears to have two minor league options remaining, but has previously been outrighted to the minor leagues.

he is the first non-roster invitee to 2021 camp.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pop and Ks. Full season in the majors, he looks like he'd challenge Chris Carter type of stats.

I don't think he's that bad. This is 2021. Lots of big strikeout guys. He posted impressive numbers at AAA in 2019. Brewers lack hitters in upper minors. Green has a chance assuming they sign a guy like Franco for just one year.

Pop and Ks. Full season in the majors, he looks like he'd challenge Chris Carter type of stats.

I don't think he's that bad. This is 2021. Lots of big strikeout guys. He posted impressive numbers at AAA in 2019. Brewers lack hitters in upper minors. Green has a chance assuming they sign a guy like Franco for just one year.

So did Eric Sogard. 2019 the juiced minor league ball. Ruined a guy like Zach Brown and Corbin Burnes. Don't read to much in to that impressive power numbers.

• 2 months later...
I'm still thinking Zach Green could really be a sleeper at 3B and/or 1B.

His 2019 numbers at AAA were incredible - 1.039 OPS, 25 HRs in 297 PAs. He'll be 27 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a big contribution from him this year.

green definitely fills a void at class aaa as well.

again, he can be optioned, so there's flexibility if the brewers select his contract.

So did Eric Sogard. 2019 the juiced minor league ball. Ruined a guy like Zach Brown and Corbin Burnes. Don't read to much in to that impressive power numbers.

2018 numbers between AA/AAA:

20 HR, 75 RBI, 35 2B

.281/.356/.888

While 19 seems like a bump for everyone, he posted solid power/OBP skills the year prior. He is at worst the best 3B "prospect" we have in our system, and he has the potential to be a MLB contributor if we don't add another corner IF and injuries pop up.

I'm oddly excited about this signing. I don't see a lot of downside here.

It kind of got lost in the shuffle a little bit. Only thing that hurts his chances is that he is a RHH and we have Urias/Robertson ahead of him to get ABs at the present time.

It's interesting how our brains work with guys like this. If we had a 25 y/o in our alternate side last year that had a 271/359/942 slash line at AAA in 2018-19 we would have a 10 page thread begging the Brewers to call him up.

But since he a was a under the radar signing to a minor league deal we tend to write him off. I'm guilty of it too. Maybe this is the next diamond in the rough that Stearns finds and is the next Aguilar/McGehee, or maybe hes Freitas 2.0, but either way its signings like these that get our armchair GM brains churning.

I do find this signing a bit under the radar and intriguing from this winter. Obviously, he's a huge "wild card" and may not pan out at all, but I do like the fact that we've identified a few guys this winter (Robertson, Green and Peterson) who were all pretty high round draft picks who have all had some struggles in their developmental years coming up in their respective systems. BUT, they are three guys who are all now entering their late 20's (their prime years), and maybe something finally clicks for one of these guys? We can hope, right?

I do find this signing a bit under the radar and intriguing from this winter. Obviously, he's a huge "wild card" and may not pan out at all, but I do like the fact that we've identified a few guys this winter (Robertson, Green and Peterson) who were all pretty high round draft picks who have all had some struggles in their developmental years coming up in their respective systems. BUT, they are three guys who are all now entering their late 20's (their prime years), and maybe something finally clicks for one of these guys? We can hope, right?

Man I hope so, Green finally figuring it out would be huge! Justin Turner is a perfect example, guy who figured it out at 29... Then we can save the would be money spent on Turner to go get someone like Paxton for the rotation... If we do indeed have money left after the Wong signing.

Okay I can see some upside to Green. Philly let him go it appears because they have Bohm. SF picked Green up and I wonder why a poor team wouldn't use Green, but they are playing Evan Longoria at 3rd. Still not sure why they wouldnt employ Green as a bench backup. Daniel Robertson was SF's utility and hes now in Milw. So who does SF have now or pipeline to replace both? Checking they signed LaStella.

Maybe they luck in to passable 1-2WAR 3b. Its hard to think he'd carry a similar BA/OB as his recent minor seasons with that 33% K pct. We shall see ST around the corner.

• 1 month later...
zach green has been reassigned to minor league camp.

I predict Green will be Brewers starting 3B by midseason after Shaw "rebounds" and puts up Justin Smoak 2020 type numbers. All Green has done this spring so far is have all 5 of this hits go for extra bases. He's primed for a monster year in AAA.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I predict Green will be Brewers starting 3B by midseason after Shaw "rebounds" and puts up Justin Smoak 2020 type numbers. All Green has done this spring so far is have all 5 of this hits go for extra bases. He's primed for a monster year in AAA.

I like Travis Shaw, so I want him to succeed. But I really liked the Zach Green signing as well, and if Shaw falters, Green will be a fun story to keep an eye on.

I agree with this 100%. Shaw just doesn't impress me.

Archived