Brewer Fanatic

Knebel Traded to the Dodgers for PTBNL [LHP Leo Crawford]

markedman5
Those are some big logical assumptions that in a system loaded with talent he would have made those jumps.

What jumps would he have needed to make? He was already at AA and did well there. Were the Dodgers sending him back to A ball?

The facts remain:

The Dodgers are the best NL team at talent evaluation.

It is unusual for the Dodgers to trade away useful prospect capital in a minor trade.

The Dodgers traded Crawford to the Brewers.

You're seemingly arguing against a point that few if anyone is making. The expected return was nothing. This appears to be a bit more than nothing. That's it.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a future bullpen guy at best. I really dislike the Cal Ripken-esque approach to pitching motions. After enough of them I almost wonder if these motions are actually telling the batter what pitch is thrown. Clearly the quick to the plate is a fastball. I forget the motion, but I think that was telling of changeup to screwball? I do like the movement and spin on that pitch. I'd have to watch a lot more and see if he was telegraphing but his 6step shuffle is hard to watch. Sorta like Sergio Garcia's re-grips back in the day. If they found a way to get rid of his gimmicks I could be a fan, but right now I find it annoying. Also lefties teed off on him twice in that short blip. It's a body maybe fills out the minors since we graduated our fair share. From Williams, Rasmussen, Topa, another name I can't think of(guy in simulation alternated with Rasmussen last year)

Feyereisen before you say it.

I've read several posts stating, "very nice pick up" "did we just get a rotation piece" "a bit more than a lottery ticket" if these aren't just pie in the sky platitudes I don't know what is.

I think "I don't know what is" is correct and where the arguments are stemming from. Everyone is just surprised that the guy is even interesting and you're reacting as if people are saying he'll be a top of the rotation starter and an All-Star (which would be more inline with a "pie in the sky platitude").

In 159 IP at A+ as a 21/22 year old Crawford posted a 2.87 ERA with a 9.4 K9 / 2.2 BB9.

In 30 IP at AA as a 22 year old he posted a 2.37 ERA with an 8.3 K9 / 2.1 BB9.

Might not have the pure stuff to crack prospect lists, but looks like he might know how to pitch a little.

I'd say that is better than nothing, or cash, or a couple two tree teenagers in rookie ball.

The only point is this, people keep posting that Crawford is "interesting" "Knows how to pitch" "pleasant surprise" "Nice pick up" etc. etc.

The reality is this guy is Malik Cllymore or Yhonathan Barrios, they chose a warm body from Los Angeles instead of cash. Big deal.

In 159 IP at A+ as a 21/22 year old Crawford posted a 2.87 ERA with a 9.4 K9 / 2.2 BB9.

Comparing that to the seven 2019 A+ Brewers pitchers with at least 5 starts, that would have made him 1st in ERA, 1st in K9, 2nd in BB9 (behind File w/ 0.9 BB9), and essentially tied with two players for the youngest (21yo Ashby w/ a 3.46 ERA and 22yo Hernandez w/ a 4.64 ERA).

Comparing that to the nine 2019 AA-level Brewers pitchers with at least 5 starts, that would have made him 2nd in ERA (behind Supak w/ 2.20 ERA), 6th in K9, 3rd in BB9, and tied with Diplan for the youngest player.

Maybe he was filler in the Dodgers' system, but he obviously is an upgrade to some of the stuff we've been throwing around down there.

Comparing that to the seven 2019 A+ Brewers pitchers with at least 5 starts, that would have made him 1st in ERA, 1st in K9, 2nd in BB9 (behind File w/ 0.9 BB9), and essentially tied with two players for the youngest (21yo Ashby w/ a 3.46 ERA and 22yo Hernandez w/ a 4.64 ERA).

Comparing that to the nine 2019 AA-level Brewers pitchers with at least 5 starts, that would have made him 2nd in ERA (behind Supak w/ 2.20 ERA), 6th in K9, 3rd in BB9, and tied with Diplan for the youngest player.

Maybe he was filler in the Dodgers' system, but he obviously is an upgrade to some of the stuff we've been throwing around down there.

I've clogged this thread enough as is, but this makes my point. Supak and Diplan were both released.

Any team could've taken him. No team did. That about sums up the return for me.

If he was taken in the Rule 5 he would have to be on the MLB roster all season.

By trading for him, Milwaukee will not be required to do so.

Seems like a pretty meaningful distinction.

And no other team thought he was worthy either.

The only point is this, people keep posting that Crawford is "interesting" "Knows how to pitch" "pleasant surprise" "Nice pick up" etc. etc.

The reality is this guy is Malik Cllymore or Yhonathan Barrios, they chose a warm body from Los Angeles instead of cash. Big deal.

Malik Collymore put up a .786 OPS in 155 PAs between A/A+ as a 22 year old.

Yhonathan Barrios posted a 3.86 ERA in 58 IP between A/A+ with a 7.7 K9 / 3.5 BB9 as a 22 year old.

Crawford managed a 2.81 ERA in 121 IP between A+/AA with a 9.9 K9 / 2.0 BB9 as a 22 year old.

It would appear that Leo is much farther along at the same age than either Malik or Yhonathan were.

Right, no team thought he was worthy of being kept on the MLB roster all year long.

The Brewers think he is worthy of being optioned to the minors to begin the year & will have the ability to do so.

Any organization acquiring him via the Rule 5 would not have had that ability.

That's the distinction I believe is worth noting.

Right, no team thought he was worthy of being kept on the MLB roster all year long.

The Brewers think he is worthy of being optioned to the minors to begin the year & will have the ability to do so.

Can always put him on the IL to buy some time, can try to work out a deal with the Dodgers to keep him if you don’t want to keep him on the major league roster all year. No team did that.

I know this with certainty:

1. The Brewers were minutes away from non-tendering Knebel and getting nothing in return.

2. The pitcher the Brewers received from the Dodgers is good enough to earn a roster spot on one of their minor league teams.

3. #2 above is better than nothing.

I will avoid proclaiming Crawford to be "a nice pickup," "a rotation piece," "just a guy," or "organizational filler." The Brewers got something of value rather than nothing, which is a win.

Yhonathan Barrios sure as heck didn't look like a "warm body" to me at the end of 2015 with the Brewers. Such a shame he wrecked his rotator cuff and then never re-emerged.

I guess I understand what you're trying to say, but Barrios isn't somebody who illustrates your point.

Can always put him on the IL to buy some time, can try to work out a deal with the Dodgers to keep him if you don’t want to keep him on the major league roster all year. No team did that.

Yes no team did that......just like no team picked up Nelson Cruz for nothing when he was DFA.

This guy could turn into a player or not.......the fact that nobody wanted to pay 100k and keep him on a major league roster for a year really doesn’t mean anything other then nobody wanted to keep him on a 26 man roster right now.......the Brewers think he has a chance to develop......let’s see what happens.

If he doesn’t.....nothing lost......if he does then it’s a nice win for a guy we were ready to let go for nothing.

I hear what some are saying ......that thrers a chace but good lord thats a hell of a small chance. Not impressed with the return .

I would expect nothing less considering the situation.......he throws strikes and has a decent k to bb ratio......that’s a good foundation to build on.

No one traded their best player for him either...

I like the acquisition especially as a southpaw. Who knows, maybe he will just be a Wilkerson. But, we’ve seen first hand unheralded pitchers like Davies and Suter perform well.

You know Stearns and our front office looks hard at strikeout to walk ratio, even when it’s a guy without high velo, particularly when that ratio is sky high.

Regarding Rule 5 and timing, I had a Jordan Sheffield theory, but he was snapped up in the Rule 5 draft.

I hear what some are saying ......that thrers a chace but good lord thats a hell of a small chance. Not impressed with the return .

Knebel was going to be non tendered anyway. This is exactly the type of return I would expect for a PTBNL for a player that was going to be non-tendered.

You could say the same for a lot of the players on the Brewers' 40-man roster.

Among the bullpen guys at least Williams, Suter, Topa, Perdomo and Bickford all passed through the Rule 5 draft. On offense, at least Taylor did with the Brewers and Narvaez and Pina did with other teams. Pina was acquired in pretty much this same way (as a PTBNL until after the Rule 5 draft). No one is saying he is Kershaw, but if he can give them similar value as Pina has, that would be a good get.

Archived