Brewer Fanatic

Vogelbach signs with Brewers 1.4 million

markedman5
So not sure what we're gonna do with Vogelbach now since teams have been told to operate under assumption there won't be a universal DH in 21.

Unless something changes, he's our starting 1B.

Our most pressing need is still 3B, so I'd guess Stearns will try to fill that hole first, and if he still has resources left over and no bigger holes to fill, he'll look for a better option at 1B. I think it's more likely he finds a cheap RH bat who can platoon with Vogelbach, and maybe come in as a defensive replacement when we're ahead.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So not sure what we're gonna do with Vogelbach now since teams have been told to operate under assumption there won't be a universal DH in 21.

Our most pressing need is still 3B, so I'd guess Stearns will try to fill that hole first, and if he still has resources left over and no bigger holes to fill, he'll look for a better option at 1B. I think it's more likely he finds a cheap RH bat who can platoon with Vogelbach, and maybe come in as a defensive replacement when we're ahead.

Highly doubt that, his D is terrible... We'll find a 1B.

If we go into this season hoping that Vogelbach is our answer, there will be a lot of disappointed Brewers fans in 2021.

I don't think Stearns is thinking that that's Plan A. He's a decent fit at a good price, but ideally should be a bench or role player plus a DH in AL parks (unless that changes), but makes for a hopefully decent fallback plan if it comes to that.

So the Brewers can try and trade him. Maybe it's a low lottery prospect in return for Vogelbach plus cash(what it'd cost to waive him by 45days) some AL team with DH to use. A team that's not looking to compete or reducing salary. We can still go out and target a 1b to bring in via trade or FA.

Highly doubt that, his D is terrible... We'll find a 1B.

I don't like the thought of Vogelbach and Hiura in the same infield either, and I hope Stearns tries to find upgrades to both corner IF spots, but until something happens he's our starting 1B. Stearns likes flexibility, so picking up a starting first baseman that pushes Vogelbach (a 1B-only guy) to the bench doesn't seem like a Stearns move. Doing something like signing someone who plays multiple positions to take on the RH side of the platoon/defensive replacement at 1B and backing up other positions seems more Stearns-like.

There's a lot of offseason to go, and Stearns likes making moves that no one sees coming. I'm interested to see what he does.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If this guy is getting meaningful at bats this year, even as DH, then I think the off season is a massive fail. He isn't good.

In his lone full season he posted a 111 wRC+ & 1.6 WAR. If he can approximate those numbers in 2021 it would be perfectly cromulent production for 1.4 million dollars.

Don't really have anything to add. I just wanted to commend you on the use of the word cromulent.

It has truly embiggened the discussion.

My question is how long has he been holding on to that word to use?... :laughing

He actually uses it somewhat regularly. I am a fan. Without searching I think I can remember 3 fairly recent uses of this word in his posts. To date I haven't been baller enough to work it into my own conversations but it is a goal.

Haha. I definitely try to drop a "cromulent" or "a couple two tree" into the conversation every now & again.

It has taken 11 years, but this word is now in regular use within my in-laws' family. They all use it as if it's a real word. I consider this my greatest personal achievement.

He actually uses it somewhat regularly. I am a fan. Without searching I think I can remember 3 fairly recent uses of this word in his posts. To date I haven't been baller enough to work it into my own conversations but it is a goal.

Haha. I definitely try to drop a "cromulent" or "a couple two tree" into the conversation every now & again.

It has taken 11 years, but this word is now in regular use within my in-laws' family. They all use it as if it's a real word. I consider this my greatest personal achievement.

Ok, this makes so much more sense now. These are Simpsons words. D'oh! I did not know that before despite several previous Google searches for definitions. Let this be an embiggenment of your enjoyment for I also took it for a real word, though it seems Merriam-Webster feels it's a perfectly cromulent candidate to be one.

I, for one, would welcome it as a real word should our dictionary overlords decide to include it among their ranks.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Poor defense or not, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vogelbach as part of a 1B platoon. I doubt he is very tradeable at this point, either.

Nope, basically just drop him at that point. Best case another team claims him and I think you wouldn't have to pay the penalty on his arbitration contract. But of course...I am not really sure on that, it just makes sense like any other time you drop a guy.

His contract isn't guaranteed so the Brewers could make a change up to early spring training. I think the DH memo was more about posturing.

Is that the case? I thought it was arbitration settlements that weren't guaranteed. This isn't an arbitration settlement, they came to terms on a contract prior to going to arbitration which would seem to be guaranteed. Too many rules :-)

~Bill Walsh

His contract isn't guaranteed so the Brewers could make a change up to early spring training. I think the DH memo was more about posturing.

Is that the case? I thought it was arbitration settlements that weren't guaranteed. This isn't an arbitration settlement, they came to terms on a contract prior to going to arbitration which would seem to be guaranteed. Too many rules :-)

I believe it can be either way depending on what the sides agree to. Vogelbach has a non guaranteed contract that I believe has the same rules as an arbitration settlement (penalties for dropping him). Arcia's contract for next year is the same way. That would lead me to believe neither is necessarily a Plan A or Plan B as it stands....they are just potential guys that are stop gaps on the depth chart until we figure out if we will go a different direction or not.

I find it humorous that we have a thread 4 pages long on signing a guy like Vogelbach.

Baseball.

It might be the only guy we sign all off season. ;)

:( :embarrassed :angry

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 2 weeks later...

Brewers manager Craig Counsell told reporters on Friday that they are open to playing Daniel Vogelbach at first base in 2021 if there is no designated hitter in the National League.

Vogelbach came over to the Brewers after he was designated for assignment by the Mariners, and the left-handed hitter performed well with a .328/.418/.569 line in 67 plate appearances over 19 games. He's a well below-average runner and poor defender, so Milwaukee would have to be very comfortable with his offense in order to put him in the lineup if there's no DH in the National League this season.

SOURCE: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

Dec 17, 2020, 3:58 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I guess I don't think Counsell should be expected to say anything other than what he said. They signed him to DH, and if there is no DH, he's not going to say 'We'll see how bad he is at 1B in February and cut him if we don't like what we see'.

Let's be real. It's 1st base. It isn't a hugely important defensive position in the whole scheme of the season. Vogelbach looked OK in his few chances there last summer. He'd be ok. Heck, a bunch of posters here freaked out about Narvaez's defense last year, and he ended up being just fine at catcher (the bat was another story obviously).

Dan Vogelbach's defense at 1B is not going to be the reason this team does make the World Series in 2021.

Archived