Brewer Fanatic

Renato Nunez

TURBO
Pretty rotten for the MLB to not be clear on whether the DH is here to stay or not. Gives AL teams an advantage in these situations.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Pretty rotten for the MLB to not be clear on whether the DH is here to stay or not. Gives AL teams an advantage in these situations.

Yeah, that needed to be decided by now for sure.

Kind of ridiculous that we still don't know.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think he'd be adequate enough to take him to play 1B. He improved there from 2019 to 2020 defensively. It's not exactly like the Brewers have guys waiting in the wings at that position and he's theoretically just entering his prime. If they keep Vogelbach and there's no DH, you just do a soft platoon and you can stick Nunez at 3B on the days Woodruff and Burnes are pitching since there's very little ground ball action to the left side on those days.

I think he'd be adequate enough to take him to play 1B. He improved there from 2019 to 2020 defensively. It's not exactly like the Brewers have guys waiting in the wings at that position and he's theoretically just entering his prime. If they keep Vogelbach and there's no DH, you just do a soft platoon and you can stick Nunez at 3B on the days Woodruff and Burnes are pitching since there's very little ground ball action to the left side on those days.

I think your point is valid and it could be true that this guy could make it just fine as our daily first basemen, but it is still ridiculous to have it floating around out there that the NL "might" have a DH and that teams aren't able to plan accordingly for it. You might be much more willing to take on Nunez and a guy like Vogelbach if you know that you can slide one or both to a DH spot if they crash and burn playing defense.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think your point is valid and it could be true that this guy could make it just fine as our daily first basemen, but it is still ridiculous to have it floating around out there that the NL "might" have a DH and that teams aren't able to plan accordingly for it. You might be much more willing to take on Nunez and a guy like Vogelbach if you know that you can slide one or both to a DH spot if they crash and burn playing defense.

Couldn’t that possibly play into the Brewers to get him a little cheaper? Figure more NL teams aren’t as interested without knowing there will be a DH and it suppresses his market a bit?

We need a good power bat at 1B... Nunez is still young, perfect guy to put at 1B.

Then make a trade for a young 3B (Dalbec or Chavis from Boston), call it good.

Does Chavis even play 3B? I thought he was a 1B who could be an emergency fill in at 2B.

We need a good power bat at 1B... Nunez is still young, perfect guy to put at 1B.

Then make a trade for a young 3B (Dalbec or Chavis from Boston), call it good.

Does Chavis even play 3B? I thought he was a 1B who could be an emergency fill in at 2B.

Was his most played position in the minors.

All Levels (4 Seasons) 1B 98 88 788.1 727 680 42 5 53 .993 8.24 7.37

All Levels (2 Seasons) 2B 60 54 477.0 216 95 115 6 32 .972 3.96 3.50

All Levels (6 Seasons) 3B 267 263 2258.2 707 160 490 57 45 .919 2.59 2.43

Do we really expect more from Nunez/Franco than we did from Smoak/Gyorko?

I mean, yeah, probably. If I remember right, there was some positive buzz about the Smoak signing last year, but there was none with Gyorko. In fact, that move was pretty soundly panned. Which in the end shows what we all know about building a baseball team.

At least with Nunez and Franco, there's still some perceived upside there.

I mean, yeah, probably. If I remember right, there was some positive buzz about the Smoak signing last year, but there was none with Gyorko. In fact, that move was pretty soundly panned. Which in the end shows what we all know about building a baseball team.

At least with Nunez and Franco, there's still some perceived upside there.

I would also add that I think we would expect more from Nunez/Franco than... Vogelbach/Urias or whatever it is we have now. Especially when you tack on the flexibility it then creates to play Urias at SS and potentially Vogelbach at DH. We need to make the roster better than it is now, unfortunately with our financial restrictions that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be significantly better than it was a year ago. That said, Gyorko was a nice surprise, but it's not like there's a high bar to surpass in order to get better production from the corner spots this year.

Something Renato/Maikel have in common is that they both got "lucky" in 2020 based on expected wOBA. Nunez was at .301 xwOBA vs .341 actual, 29th "luckiest" out of 257 qualifiers & Maikel was at .296 xwOBA vs .324 actual, 52nd "luckiest".

Franco was projected at 92 OPS+ entering 2020, posted a 109 OPS+ in 243 PAs, but only saw his OPS+ projection rise to 95 for 2021.

Nunez was projected at 103 OPS+ entering 2020 & posted a 121 OPS+ in 216 PAs. The Orioles ZiPS aren't out yet, but given Renato's OPS+ was even "luckier" than Maikel's, I wouldn't expect his projection to go up more than a couple two tree points.

For reference, Smoak/Gyorko were projected at 106/98 entering 2020, so essentially a wash. Nunez/Franco are younger, with more upside on offense, but probably also a lower defensive floor, though Maikel has graded out okay (-2 DRS, +1.2 UZR) in 1359 innings from 2019-20 after starting out his career considerably worse afield.

First thing to agree on, he is not versatile. He had a -1.5 WAR defensively in 2019. Just because someone plays more than one position does not make them versatile...at least not in a good way. He is the kind of dude who will have 30+ errors at 3B.

That being said I would prefer this guy way more than Vogelbach as a DH and maybe even as a 1B.

Smoak and Gyroko had become baseball nomads. Both were past 30 and clearly one year stopgaps. Nunez will turn 27 in April and is controllable for several more seasons. Franco is just 28. He's a FA after this year, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to sign him to a two year deal. Franco is a proven run producer with a relatively modest strikeout rate. Nunez topped 30 HR in his first full season in 2019. For a guy with that power, his K rate is higher than Franco but fairly reasonable too. That's two RH power bats. Hopefully, they'll keep the DH, so the middle of the order will look something like Yelich, Hiura, Vogelbach, Franco, Nunez, Garcia.

Smoak and Gyroko had become baseball nomads. Both were past 30 and clearly one year stopgaps. Nunez will turn 27 in April and is controllable for several more seasons. Franco is just 28. He's a FA after this year, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to sign him to a two year deal. Franco is a proven run producer with a relatively modest strikeout rate. Nunez topped 30 HR in his first full season in 2019. For a guy with that power, his K rate is higher than Franco but fairly reasonable too. That's two RH power bats. Hopefully, they'll keep the DH, so the middle of the order will look something like Yelich, Hiura, Vogelbach, Franco, Nunez, Garcia.

I would fricken love that!!

• 2 months later...

Cody Stavenhagen of The Athletic, the Tigers are talking to free agent first baseman/DH Renato Núñez about a minor league deal.

Núñez isn't a great first baseman, but the Tigers don't have a clear first baseman on the roster, so there's a real chance he could walk away with significant playing time. The 26-year-old was surprisingly designated for assignment by the Orioles in November after putting up 12 homers with an .816 OPS over 52 games in 2020.

RELATED: Detroit Tigers

SOURCE: Cody Stavenhagen on Twitter

Feb 9, 2021, 2:48 PM ET

Tigers signed 1B/DH Renato Nunez to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Nunez was released by the Orioles back in late November despite registering an impressive .816 OPS with 12 home runs and 31 RBI over 52 games for Baltimore during the truncated 2020 campaign. The 26-year-old should get regular playing time this season in Detroit between first base and the designated hitter role.

SOURCE: Detroit Tigers PR on Twitter

Feb 10, 2021, 12:25 PM ET

Archived