Brewer Fanatic

Game 7: Vikings @ Packers - Sunday, November 1st, Noon CT

homer
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many horseshoes do the Bears have this year?

Also, with all of the referees that have retired, how is truly horrible Tony Corrente still employed?

Seems like the bears collect Lucky charms and horseshoes for about 3 years and use them all up in one season.

As much as I hate to say it the bears are better than the Packers.

I'm not sure about that but it looks like we are on even ground. Our offense carries the defense and vice versa for them. That, and the Saints aren't as good as advertised, much like us.

I don't know if the Bears are better than us but neither team is anything special.

We are basically the exact same team as last year which is exactly what we tried to be. Good enough to win the division and maybe a playoff game. Bad enough to get curb stomped when encountering any elite opponent in the playoffs.

I don't know if the Bears are better than us but neither team is anything special.

We are basically the exact same team as last year which is exactly what we tried to be. Good enough to win the division and maybe a playoff game. Bad enough to get curb stomped when encountering any elite opponent in the playoffs.

That's where I am. The Bears have a better defense and we have a better QB. I think we'll win the division just because Rodgers always seems to beat them.

I actually missed today's game opting to skip an "easy win" to get my fall yardwork done. Now I feel pretty solidly this is the same 10-6 version of good but not good enough team I've come to know all too well.

Not really overreacting, and I'd probably feel better if they couldn't score but the defense was good, but just getting gashed every week is the same old same old.

Any chance the Packers were peeking ahead to Thursday night in San Francisco?

No, I think they just got exposed.

Let's not say things we can't take back in anger.

I'm sure they were looking ahead. My own hot take- I think they're keeping guys back that could play in games they think they don't need them in. Davante told us as much earlier this year. I suspect Bakh could have gone today, but they thought they didn't need him...

Maybe they should start letting guys play if they're healthy enough to play and stop taking wins for granted.

Not sure why the Packers would look past a divisional game for one against an absolutely battered 49er team in last place. If that happened, yikes MLF.

A home game against a Vikings team that was absolutely decimated in the secondary? If you felt that of the two games in this five day period, the Vikings game was the harder of the two you might be in pretty lonely company, IMO.

Maybe they should start letting guys play if they're healthy enough to play and stop taking wins for granted.

It's genius roster management if it works out, which it probably would most of the time. But if it backfires, it's not great.

And again, the theory on Bakh was my own, not based on anything I've seen elsewhere...

I don’t know how we’d ever prove that players and coaches were looking ahead. I mean, it has a logic to it, but we’d never get definitive proof.

This is quite correct, barring an admission directly from players/coaches. Beyond that, it's purely speculation based on logic.

I’m struggling to hold even a glimmer of hope. This is another lost season, and you know what? Gute drafted like it. This is what you get.

Teams are never entirely as good as it seems when they're winning, and they're not nearly as bad as fans think they are after a loss. We Packer fans really take losses hard, possibly because there's less of them historically than so many other franchises.

If the Packers are so consumed by a 4-3 team in another division to the point they can't take care of a division rival, two weeks after getting absolutely embarrassed, the coaching staff needs work.

They have two huge flaws. They have no interior DL to speak of and the offense is comprised of one receiver. I'm 50-50 on the reviewers being terrible or Rodgers just locking in on 17. The DL is worse though. The talent is just not there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was more upset with the 2nd half offense than the overall defense.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really don't think this has anything to do with taking a loss hard. At least not to me. It's that it's the exact same version of getting we are accustomed to. We don't lose 13-10 in a defensive battle. We don't play super hard and come up short. Teams just run right at us and do whatever they want. We have RBs that put up high school YPC on our defense. And it's almost always like this no matter who is coaching.

There's a good chance Mullens starts for the 49ers Thursday and Pettine will still play soft zone coverage and once again let their running backs gut us for 7000 yards.

Or they'll win and the "yeah buts" will start in and recency bias from 2019 will loom larger in fan's minds and they'll psychosomatic themselves into marching to the same drum beat come January about the outcome of playoff games before they even get played. Hell, just forfeit Thursday. Everybody seemingly already knows the outcome.

There's a good chance Mullens starts for the 49ers Thursday and Pettine will still play soft zone coverage and once again let their running backs gut us for 7000 yards.

Or they'll win and the "yeah buts" will start in and recency bias from 2019 will loom larger in fan's minds and they'll psychosomatic themselves into marching to the same drum beat come January about the outcome of playoff games before they even get played. Hell, just forfeit Thursday. Everybody seemingly already knows the outcome.

If the Packers beat the 49ers those "yeah buts" are completely reasonable. The team is a shell of the one from the NFCCG.

I don't know how you can act like the fans are too cynical at this point. The Packers have been losing playoff games for years now in historic fashion about 75% of the time. Whether it's Kaepernick embarrassing them, giving up 51 points, forcing 5 picks and losing a title game, or a RB no one's ever heard of running over them like he's Walter Payton.

Personally I find the overly positive "it's one game" stuff more tiresome. This team hasn't built a good defense in 10 years and it was a fart in the wind.

The Packers getting literally run over isn't a one game thing, it's been going on for a decade. And when they've been passable up front they've been a sieve in back.

My thought on the Packers is that the COVID-19 abbreviated offseason actually gave them an advantage early in the season because they had so much continuity from last season.

While other teams like the Vikings had a lot of turn over were still trying to mesh, we basically resumed with last year's squad. Which was great early on, but now that every team is pretty well up to speed by now, our same problems from last year of no receivers other than Davante and no run defense are once again rearing their ugly head.

The 49ers backfield will likely be led on Thursday by JaMycal Hasty, a 5th string undrafted rookie RB. I still don't expect them to pass much. If Hasty goes for 20/100, there's no hope for this rush D.

Couple other things:

1- Is Rashan Gary still on this team? I thought he was supposed to be this big riser this season. I actually had to go look to see if he has been inactive because of how invisible he's been.

2 - Kenny Clark needs to play a hell of a lot better football than he is for a guy making $17.5M a year at his position.

Couple other things:

1- Is Rashan Gary still on this team? I thought he was supposed to be this big riser this season. I actually had to go look to see if he has been inactive because of how invisible he's been.

2 - Kenny Clark needs to play a hell of a lot better football than he is for a guy making $17.5M a year at his position.

I don't think either take is inaccurate at this point. Gary had some good games early, and he hasn't been very present since. I do think some of that is scheme- when you're not blitzing at all like yesterday, an edge isn't going to get his name called much, as with Z's quiet day.

Clark's season is a bit lost at this point. Obviously, injured for the first part, and largely ineffective since. I'm sure the former has effected the latter, but a resurgent Clark would go a long way towards helping with the run defense.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
On a positive note, the Vikings are much less likely to get Lawrence now.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived