Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin vs. Illinois game thread

LouisEly
The TD he threw before the half ended even in the NFL at times that ball is over or underthrown to the WR even when they are wide open. That was a nice pass and he hit the receiver in stride down the field that is not something that happens with Badger QB's even Wilson had trouble doing that.

Agreed. And for a Freshmen, he just didn't flinch at all. He was extremely calm and collected back there. Even on easy passes, QB's can rush it, but he just dropped it right in there. What's NOT to like at this point?

Maybe Mertz opens the doors for young WR'ers and future generations of QB's. If the Badgers throw the ball more this year, it'll show that the team isn't dedicated to running the ball, rather using whatever talent they have.

This certainly can't hurt in that regard anyway.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The TD he threw before the half ended even in the NFL at times that ball is over or underthrown to the WR even when they are wide open. That was a nice pass and he hit the receiver in stride down the field that is not something that happens with Badger QB's even Wilson had trouble doing that.

Agreed. And for a Freshmen, he just didn't flinch at all. He was extremely calm and collected back there. Even on easy passes, QB's can rush it, but he just dropped it right in there. What's NOT to like at this point?

Maybe Mertz opens the doors for young WR'ers and future generations of QB's. If the Badgers throw the ball more this year, it'll show that the team isn't dedicated to running the ball, rather using whatever talent they have.

I don't think you can overstate how big it would be for the program if Mertz goes on to be a Heisman candidate/top ten pick level player. We have been sort of stuck in #5-10 level program for a few years just can't get past OSU to the playoffs and QB IMO has been a big obstacle getting over that hump. Mertz being that good may put us on another level in recruiting as a 5 star player really can come here and be a star. Hard not to be excited about this team after last night but not sure how big a test that was.

I think the comment on Coan being around #15 best in the country isn't far off, if he was healthy and had a good senior season I think he gets drafted. Tough break for him, unless the wheels come off for Mertz or he gets injured hard to see them giving Coan the job back when healthy. Maybe he gets a medical redshirt and grad transfers?

Based on the Penn State/Indiana game today, Clifford sure doesn't look better than Coan.

Not at all. People definitely take Coan for granted now that we have Mertz, but he was a highly touted QB out of New York. A pretty damn big get when he signed. And he's performed very well for us.

I could see a lot of very good Power 5 schools who'd want him to transfer...if he doesn't try and make a go of it in the NFL.

I could see a lot of very good Power 5 schools who'd want him to transfer...if he doesn't try and make a go of it in the NFL.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm envisioning Coan taking his time with his foot healing and transferring to a QB needy school for 2021, as high

a profile program as he can land, and then balling out next year to get selected in the late rounds of the 2022 NFL draft. Seemingly far less accomplished UW QBs have made nice careers in the NFL holding clipboards and being adequate fill-ins.

This is a classic case where I think all Badgers fans would be rooting for him instead of scorning him for leaving the program.

I don't think you can overstate how big it would be for the program if Mertz goes on to be a Heisman candidate/top ten pick level player. We have been sort of stuck in #5-10 level program for a few years just can't get past OSU to the playoffs and QB IMO has been a big obstacle getting over that hump. Mertz being that good may put us on another level in recruiting as a 5 star player really can come here and be a star. Hard not to be excited about this team after last night but not sure how big a test that was.

I think the comment on Coan being around #15 best in the country isn't far off, if he was healthy and had a good senior season I think he gets drafted. Tough break for him, unless the wheels come off for Mertz or he gets injured hard to see them giving Coan the job back when healthy. Maybe he gets a medical redshirt and grad transfers?

Not even sure he needs to be that good. If he can help UW just become a truly balanced offense and show guys that if we have the QB and if we have the weapons, we'll make use of them, that might help us pick up a few more recruits at WR'er, CB, the positions we're usually not elite at.

As for Coan, since this season doesn't count against his eligibility, he's still got another year left. I do kinda feel bad for Coan...but...I mean, 21-22 5TD's...Imma get over it!

Imagine if Taylor had stuck around? Get the NCAA Rushing Record(from a fellow Badger as far as I'm concerned) and get UW into the playoffs with him and the Freshmen Phenom? C'mon Berger...we're all looking at you right now. Clean up whatever it is that needs cleaning...

Archived