Brewer Fanatic

Game 6: Packers @ Texans - Sunday, October 25th, Noon CT

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
c9b8e28d2a593c8e6098a6e819b53ce6.jpg
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no way Chuck Cecil plays in today's NFL. He'd be ejected every game for targeting.

Do you believe he was only 185 pounds? I knew when I went to look him up he wasn't 6'2 215 or anything, but Jaire Alexander is listed at 5'10 196.

Whatever he was, he was a helluva hitter...kinda overshadowed his playmaking ability though. I just remember John Madden grunting approvingly every time they'd show the bloodied bridge of his nose!

Loved that guy. He and Tim Harris are two of the first guys I can remember as a Packers fan.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Back to back jacks by Cecil.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

In this clip, Cecil honestly looks like he'd be lucky to be 185# dripping wet with his pads on knowing how short he is...He looks like a highschooler compared to players today, even just comparing the safety position.

Guys that size in today's NFL run sub 4.4 40s to even have a shot at being on a roster where there's skill position speed everywhere and pass-heavy offenses. Cecil ran a 4.77. The era Cecil played in gave him the ability to have a 7 yr NFL career as a heady safety, where he had limited reads to make and much less field to cover - that enabled him to be a really good player until his body and father time forced him out of the league. If he was born a generation later he would have been lucky to get a D1 scholarship offer from somewhere.

I remember him being short, but I had no idea he was that light. Granted, weights today are very different than weights back then too. Everyone has gotten bigger.

They are, but he still seemed bigger than that to me. Shoulder pads have also gotten much-much smaller in the last 25 years.

Still hard to wrap my head around the idea that he was basically the size of Darius Randall.

In this clip, Cecil honestly looks like he'd be lucky to be 185# dripping wet with his pads on knowing how short he is...He looks like a highschooler compared to players today, even just comparing the safety position.

Guys that size in today's NFL run sub 4.4 40s to even have a shot at being on a roster where there's skill position speed everywhere and pass-heavy offenses. Cecil ran a 4.77. The era Cecil played in gave him the ability to have a 7 yr NFL career as a heady safety, where he had limited reads to make and much less field to cover - that enabled him to be a really good player until his body and father time forced him out of the league. If he was born a generation later he would have been lucky to get a D1 scholarship offer from somewhere.

You're right obviously, but even for his era, Cecil was undersized and slow. He was considered too small for College so he didn't get a D-1 scholarship.

A 4.77 40, 6 reps at 225...LOL...that is just awful.

He'd have average athletic ability for a punter in today's NFL!

But..he got the most out of what ability he did have. And honestly after watching those highlights, maybe he would have been able to adjust to today's rules(not the speed obviously). Not sure if that second hit was illegal. Couldn't tell because of the video if he got the head across and hit him in the numbers or up too high.

But that hit on Meggett. That's a picture-perfect tackle from any era.

Sounds like Aaron Jones will miss the game with a calf strain but nothing official yet.

The defense owes the offense a big game. We need the Smith Brothers to keep Watson in the pocket, we need Dillon to pound the ball on the Texans and we need Lewis to help double whoever is blocking JJ as Bahk is also out.

This is a really big game. JJ Watt and Mercilus are two pretty dangerous pass rushers(one slightly more so than the other) and with no King, no Savage...Watson could have a big game.

The Texans had a hellacious schedule and a terrible HC to start the season...but I think they're much better than your typical 1-5 team. I don't have a great feeling about this one. I hope we can figure out someone else who can fill Tyler Ervin's role as well as I think he's out as well.

I think it's gonna be a shoot out. 13,000 fans allowed in the stadium. I am guessing the majority will be Packer fans.

Inactives. Yikes

10 QB Jordan Love

20 CB Kevin King

26 S Darnell Savage

32 RB Tyler Ervin

33 RB Aaron Jones

69 T David Bakhtiari

95 DL Tyler Lancaster

Damn, Davante. What a grab. Too bad my fantasy opponent started him this week.

Mine has him and ARodg. I guarantee he's in for one of those 10/150/2 lines today.

At least I have Rodgers to almost cancel him out. You only get 4 points for a passing touchdown.

Throwing to Sternberger works well for me though.

Archived