Brewer Fanatic

Packers Transactions/Rumors thread...

HiAndTight
What would we expect to give for a guy like Fuller?

Fuller is on the last year of his deal, the 5th year option on his original rookie contract. He is, for the most part, a rental, although he would likely recoup a pick for the Packers depending on the size and type of deal he signs in the offseason. I would imagine he's the type that would garner a 4th round compensatory pick, so I would imagine the Packers could probably get him for a 4th rounder, while eating the rest of his deal this year. That would, in essence, mean that they would only be trading the Texans salary relief for him. I suppose it's possible the Packers may go as high as a 3rd round pick for him.

Thanks! I'd think considering the 4th as a comp pick, the Texans would need them to go higher just to justify the trade. I guess there IS a difference between a late true 4th and a later comp pick, but barely.

But would I trade a (presumably late) 3rd for the rest of the season of Fuller and a comp 4th? Absolutely.

Wilde said on the radio today the Packers have offered a 4th for Fuller...but the Texans believe they'll get a 3rd for him. This is from Wilde. I have a hard time seeing Fuller getting a big deal after this season given his injury history, but he does have elite talent and upside...so maybe.

I like all the guys they've been rumored to be after. Ertz would be awesome...but they have to fortify the front 7. Maybe not a MLB'er(I've seen Myles Jack rumors), but something on the DL.

And with the Panthers losing to the Falcons, Curtis Samuel seems like a pretty ideal target. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but how reliable is Tyler Ervin? If he's as important as they've suggested and as important as it looks when watching this offense, then bring someone in who can play a comparable role. Samuel is a Deebo Samuels type player. Not quite a big, but elite speed and he's already used out of the backfield in Carolina.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable. I didn't actually lose faith in this front office until right now. I was fine with the Love pick. They'd talked about him, they reportedly really loved him, no pun intended.

I was good with Gary. He was a freak athlete at a premier position. I'm fine with being a forward looking team and constantly building through the draft...but you can do that AND also address OBVIOUS needs now.

This team was(and maybe still is, but I suspect they'll again fall short) of being a true SB contender. A Dalvin Tomlinson, Williams, hell, even a guy like McLendon would have helped this team out a lot.

But while SF, NO, TB and all the other contenders make significant moves...at least we can say we tried again. We TRIED to sign AB this year. We TRIED to trade for Fuller. We tried to...everyone else must just be trying harder.

Unbelievable. I didn't actually lose faith in this front office until right now. I was fine with the Love pick. They'd talked about him, they reportedly really loved him, no pun intended.

I was good with Gary. He was a freak athlete at a premier position. I'm fine with being a forward looking team and constantly building through the draft...but you can do that AND also address OBVIOUS needs now.

This team was(and maybe still is, but I suspect they'll again fall short) of being a true SB contender. A Dalvin Tomlinson, Williams, hell, even a guy like McLendon would have helped this team out a lot.

But while SF, NO, TB and all the other contenders make significant moves...at least we can say we tried again. We TRIED to sign AB this year. We TRIED to trade for Fuller. We tried to...everyone else must just be trying harder.

Did they really try though? I suspect their definition of try is "take our low ball offer or forget it".

Looks to me like Gute is Ted Thompson 2.0. Content to just be a second tier also ran year after year. It's so frustrating watching every other Super Bowl contender making moves to improve their team for the championship push while this organization is content to sit on their hands year in and year out. Just once can they go all in? Remember all the "would you rather" talk about either winning a Super Bowl and sucking for the next 10 years or being a contender every year and not winning one? Alot of people picked the latter. I suspect after today that number has significantly dwindled.

Did they really try though? I suspect their definition of try is "take our low ball offer or forget it".

Looks to me like Gute is Ted Thompson 2.0. Content to just be a second tier also ran year after year. It's so frustrating watching every other Super Bowl contender making moves to improve their team for the championship push while this organization is content to sit on their hands year in and year out. Just once can they go all in? Remember all the "would you rather" talk about either winning a Super Bowl and sucking for the next 10 years or being a contender every year and not winning one? Alot of people picked the latter. I suspect after today that number has significantly dwindled.

I think Thompson was better about addressing needs in-season. That's not saying much, but it's a low bar.

I just don't understand this. I don't know how much each player cost. Maybe the Texans wanted a 2nd for Fuller. That's too much. Maybe the Jets a 1st for Williams. I think that's fair, but I get if they don't.

But there have to be SOME teams that were willing to trade. A 5th for Dalvin Tomlinson would have almost certainly got the Giants to bite and or McLendon. But we didn't even hear rumors about the DL the last few days. It seemed like Fuller or nothing.

11-5...they'll win a playoff game and then likely lose in the 2nd round or maybe the NFCCG. That's probably our ceiling.

Edit-Oh...to answer your question...I don't know if they really tried. But when you're the GM of a team that doesn't have an owner in a revenue-sharing league like the NFL, trying doesn't mean much. You have a all time Great at QB. You need to actually get something done. If the Bucks can't or the Brewers can't make moves, I'll understand. The Packers really have ZERO excuses for not upgrading at least one area of this team. Desmond King was traded for a 6th round pick. Same with Avery Williamson. Both would have helped...even if they weren't big needs.

Who knows maybe Gute is really all in on these guys and really wants to make the moves...it's the upper management like Murphy that says no? The Packers have such a weird chain of command unlike other NFL teams because of the no owner thing. I'd really like to hear someday how it really is with that setup.

I think you guys are exactly right. They care more about winning for a long time and making money, than going all in. No doubt the Packers are as popular as they are since the early 90's with having 2 HOF QBs and winning for so long.

I was too young but were they this popular in the 70's and 80's when they weren't that good?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Texans wanted a #2 I don't blame Gute for not trading with them. Standing pat is a weird choice though.

I will say once again that trading up as much as they do in the 1st round is a bad idea. They will eternally have holes to fill if they don't hit on every single one of those 1st round picks. I'd rather they trade down and collect more 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks. Alexander worked out but remember that they traded down from 14 to 27 and then back up to 18. Jury is out on the rest.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If the Texans wanted a #2 I don't blame Gute for not trading with them. Standing pat is a weird choice though.

I will say once again that trading up as much as they do in the 1st round is a bad idea. They will eternally have holes to fill if they don't hit on every single one of those 1st round picks. I'd rather they trade down and collect more 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks. Alexander worked out but remember that they traded down from 14 to 27 and then back up to 18. Jury is out on the rest.

They've traded down several times in the 1st as well though. In fact, he's actually picked up a 1st from trading down in that trade. I don't think the problem has been trading up or trading down.

NFL teams don’t make sense though. Say the Packers would only give up a 3rd. Doesn’t Houston take the 3rd rather than getting nothing in return?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

NFL teams don’t make sense though. Say the Packers would only give up a 3rd. Doesn’t Houston take the 3rd rather than getting nothing in return?

They don't get nothing though, they get a comp pick. (3rd or 4th for Fuller probably).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They've traded down several times in the 1st as well though. In fact, he's actually picked up a 1st from trading down in that trade. I don't think the problem has been trading up or trading down.

Yes that was the Alexander pick. Traded down then back up.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They don't get nothing though, they get a comp pick. (3rd or 4th for Fuller probably).

But don’t you take the pick for next year rather than 2022? Just never makes sense to me how these teams operate.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

But don’t you take the pick for next year rather than 2022? Just never makes sense to me how these teams operate.

Yes, you do take the sure thing pick next year. But if the rumors are true and the Packers only went as high as a 4th rounder, I can see why the Texans hung onto him.

Yes, you do take the sure thing pick next year. But if the rumors are true and the Packers only went as high as a 4th rounder, I can see why the Texans hung onto him.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. You have two of the best quarterbacks in the history of the NFL between 1992 and today, and you win 2 Super Bowls? 2????

Winning Super Bowls isn't easy. The Patriots have ruined it for fan bases. Takes a lot more of the stars to align for a Super Bowl appearance let alone winning it.

Anyone who has had Will Fuller V on their fantasy team is very familiar with his injury history. He has never played a full season, and if that pattern would have continued after trading for him, a lot of people would have been quite upset that we gave up a 2nd/3rd for a guy who only played a handful of games for us. And frankly even if he would have stayed healthy, I'm not convinced that the value he would have added would have been better than the longer-term value that 2nd/3rd would have delivered.

Anyone who has had Will Fuller V on their fantasy team is very familiar with his injury history. He has never played a full season, and if that pattern would have continued after trading for him, a lot of people would have been quite upset that we gave up a 2nd/3rd for a guy who only played a handful of games for us. And frankly even if he would have stayed healthy, I'm not convinced that the value he would have added would have been better than the longer-term value that 2nd/3rd would have delivered.

Right. Fuller would have been a nice piece if he stayed healthy. That's a huge if, though.

I'm not worried about the offense's ability to move the ball, especially if Lazard can return soon. I'm much more worried about the defense underperforming, and getting into a situation where gameflow dictates trading scores, and coming out on the bottom of a seesaw battle in the playoffs.

Archived