Brewer Fanatic

Packers Transactions/Rumors thread...

HiAndTight
I haven't been following the Packers that closely these past couple years, so correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the team come out and say last year that they didn't want to add a WR during the season because they wouldn't be able to learn the system in time to make an impact?

I'm pretty sure that it's come out through various sources that they made plays for both Emmanuel Sanders and Robby Anderson at the trade deadline last year.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't been following the Packers that closely these past couple years, so correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the team come out and say last year that they didn't want to add a WR during the season because they wouldn't be able to learn the system in time to make an impact?

In Brandin Cooks case he played for the Rams which run a system very similar to Green Bay's.

Plus, not sure if anyone from the Packers said that or not, but I don't believe it. Sure, there's a learning curve. But nothing that can't be learned in a couple weeks.

Even just another productive guy for the front 7 would help.

I'd really like them to make a move here if it is available. Lowry has been absolutely horrid, and Lancaster has been banged up though his play has been a bit better this year. They may like Keke and Adams, who both seem to be making strides this year, but I think one more d-line body would be very useful in fixing the broken run defense.

The extension they gave to Dean Lowry was mystifying to me when they did it.

The Packers are bringing in veteran WR Seth Roberts, who was released by the Panthers earlier today. A source said the plan is to sign him to the practice squad initially. Roberts has 183 career receptions (15 TDs) for the Raiders, Ravens and Panthers.

The Packers are bringing in veteran WR Seth Roberts, who was released by the Panthers earlier today. A source said the plan is to sign him to the practice squad initially. Roberts has 183 career receptions (15 TDs) for the Raiders, Ravens and Panthers.

Not an exciting signing, but Roberts is a guy who had some solid years with the Raiders, primarily playing out of the slot. This very much reminds me of the Ryan Grant signing from last year. Roberts does fit the mold of the WRs the Packers typically like, though, at 6'2", 200 lbs. He's also a solid blocker. He's basically replacing Robert Foster as the veteran presence on the practice squad who can step in should there be another injury to the WR corps. I don't expect Roberts to play any sort of pivotal role in the offense, though.

I don't think this signing is going to preclude them from continuing to look at the trade market to bring in another weapon, either.

Not an exciting signing, but Roberts is a guy who had some solid years with the Raiders, primarily playing out of the slot. This very much reminds me of the Ryan Grant signing from last year. Roberts does fit the mold of the WRs the Packers typically like, though, at 6'2", 200 lbs. He's also a solid blocker. He's basically replacing Robert Foster as the veteran presence on the practice squad who can step in should there be another injury to the WR corps. I don't expect Roberts to play any sort of pivotal role in the offense, though.

I don't think this signing is going to preclude them from continuing to look at the trade market to bring in another weapon, either.

He's a nice signing. There has to be something with Foster. Maybe he can't pick up the playbook quickly or didn't earn Rodgers trust as a route runner, but he had the size, athletic ability, he'd looked good in limited playing times early in his career. To let him leave for another team's practice squad is a little confusing unless something's just not clicking.

The Packers offense was a little troubling to me vs the Texans. Rodgers was throwing to Adams pretty much every play. And that works vs teams like the Texans, but they had little pre-snap motion and looked like they beat them just because they were more talented. Which we've seen, doesn't work against really good teams.

I know Tyler Ervin will be back, but I think you have to have someone else who can do the same things he can. I've suggested John Ross...hopefully we can grab him. Otherwise, someone like Curtis Samuel who's now playing RB for the Panthers would be a nice target. Another guy with great speed and who's good if you can get the ball in his hands. 4.3 40, he's going to be an URFA this off-season and I can't imagine he's got a lot of use to the Panthers as they rebuild and they've got C-Mac coming back this week and Mike Davis has been very good this year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Even just another productive guy for the front 7 would help.

I'd really like them to make a move here if it is available. Lowry has been absolutely horrid, and Lancaster has been banged up though his play has been a bit better this year. They may like Keke and Adams, who both seem to be making strides this year, but I think one more d-line body would be very useful in fixing the broken run defense.

The extension they gave to Dean Lowry was mystifying to me when they did it.

It made sense to me at the time. I thought Lowry was just coming on...that has not been the case. He's awful.

FYI, the Jets are reportedly looking for a 2nd round pick to move Williams. Now the Packers 2nd round pick may not entice them, but a 2nd+5th may be enough to get it done.

I just believe that guy is going to be an All-Pro, especially if he's playing with good edge players and next to Kenny Clark. I really hope that's the priority.

It's too early to say if Kamal Martin has fixed the MLB'er issues, but I thought he looked really good last year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't see the need there. They don't have world class TEs but I haven't been watching the games thinking boy, we need to upgrade TE. The group they have is getting it done. They need front 7 help and maybe a WR like Devin Funchess would have been.

I almost wonder if the Packers' offer may have come before Tonyan broke out? I agree that TE is not particularly a position of need, but perhaps the Packers saw Ertz as a clear upgrade over what they had on hand at the position. If they are truly trying to emulate the 49ers offense, Ertz is probably a closer approximation to Kittle's talent level than Tonyan is, despite Tonyan's obvious attempts to imitate Kittle.

I don't see the need there. They don't have world class TEs but I haven't been watching the games thinking boy, we need to upgrade TE. The group they have is getting it done. They need front 7 help and maybe a WR like Devin Funchess would have been.

I almost wonder if the Packers' offer may have come before Tonyan broke out? I agree that TE is not particularly a position of need, but perhaps the Packers saw Ertz as a clear upgrade over what they had on hand at the position. If they are truly trying to emulate the 49ers offense, Ertz is probably a closer approximation to Kittle's talent level than Tonyan is, despite Tonyan's obvious attempts to imitate Kittle.

Did Tonyan really break out though or was it just one huge week? He's been pretty quiet since Week 4.

Ertz has been a premium talent at his position for years; if the Packers were truly interested I have to imagine they thought he has some juice left. I know he hasn't impressed this season but it's an obvious buy low opportunity. Wentz and the Eagles' offensive line and other weapons surely haven't done Ertz any favors. He'd certainly have had better opportunity here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Who knows...maybe price and availability attracted us to Ertz. Sternberger hasn't been killing it...maybe Ertz was a short-term upgrade?

I do agree that Funchess would be very helpful right now. Hopefully St. Brown will still show something this year, but MVS looks like he has stalled as a WR. The third WR isn't needed so much, except when Adams or Lazard has been out. And it is pretty obvious now.

I'm thinking we stand pat at MLB for now. Barnes and Martin look better than anything we could get back in a trade. It will be interesting to see what happens when Kirksey comes back.

I think the DL still could use a run-stuffer upgrade - like the Pickett/Green suggestions earlier - but they have been playing better as of late. Obviously, healthy Clark makes a huge difference. But Adams is starting to show something (I'll eat my words about him now) and Keke has provided pressure. Lowry still has been poor, but Clark's return helped him out too.

A couple years ago, Lancaster looked like a guy that could plug holes (comparable to the aforementioned Howard Green), but his development stalled out. Maybe some time off and reduced snaps will help him out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Packers asking about Will Fuller:

This may turn into one of those "Well that's too much to give up for Fuller, but maybe we can discuss Cooks" deals.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Packers asking about Will Fuller:

This may turn into one of those "Well that's too much to give up for Fuller, but maybe we can discuss Cooks" deals.

I'm just glad that they seemingly recognize the need for another weapon on the offensive side of the ball, even though the offense has been pretty dang good this year. Fuller's injury history is scary, but he would bring true game-breaking speed to the team.

Any of Fuller, Cooks, Cobb or Stills would be a solid add without breaking the bank.

It's clear that, as good as our offense has been, the emerging #2 receiver on our roster still doesn't exist.

I think this year is it for the MVS experiment. We've seen enough. ESB still has a chance, but he needs to start showing something and stay healthy.

Any of Fuller, Cooks, Cobb or Stills would be a solid add without breaking the bank.

It's clear that, as good as our offense has been, the emerging #2 receiver on our roster still doesn't exist.

I think Lazard was doing a pretty good emerging imitation before he went down. it appears that he's close to returning, but who knows how effective he will be with that type of injury.

What would we expect to give for a guy like Fuller?

Fuller is on the last year of his deal, the 5th year option on his original rookie contract. He is, for the most part, a rental, although he would likely recoup a pick for the Packers depending on the size and type of deal he signs in the offseason. I would imagine he's the type that would garner a 4th round compensatory pick, so I would imagine the Packers could probably get him for a 4th rounder, while eating the rest of his deal this year. That would, in essence, mean that they would only be trading the Texans salary relief for him. I suppose it's possible the Packers may go as high as a 3rd round pick for him.

Fuller is on the last year of his deal, the 5th year option on his original rookie contract. He is, for the most part, a rental, although he would likely recoup a pick for the Packers depending on the size and type of deal he signs in the offseason. I would imagine he's the type that would garner a 4th round compensatory pick, so I would imagine the Packers could probably get him for a 4th rounder, while eating the rest of his deal this year. That would, in essence, mean that they would only be trading the Texans salary relief for him. I suppose it's possible the Packers may go as high as a 3rd round pick for him.

Thanks! I'd think considering the 4th as a comp pick, the Texans would need them to go higher just to justify the trade. I guess there IS a difference between a late true 4th and a later comp pick, but barely.

But would I trade a (presumably late) 3rd for the rest of the season of Fuller and a comp 4th? Absolutely.

Glad we didn't get Ertz...have we not learned a single thing the past decade? Flashy TE names on the decline aren't very productive, Ertz was incredibly unimpressive before he went down.

I agree. We have several other areas of need bigger than tight end. That made no sense to me.

Thanks! I'd think considering the 4th as a comp pick, the Texans would need them to go higher just to justify the trade. I guess there IS a difference between a late true 4th and a later comp pick, but barely.

But would I trade a (presumably late) 3rd for the rest of the season of Fuller and a comp 4th? Absolutely.

They would get the pick a year earlier then they would with the comp pick, plus they don't have any risk of losing the comp pick by signing other FA's. Add in the salary relief and a 4th seems about fair if that would be his comp pick value.

Archived