Brewer Fanatic

Packers Transactions/Rumors thread...

HiAndTight

Thouht I'd make one of with the Packers off to a 4-0 start, a SB looking very possible and the trade deadline coming up.

The Packers will have 10 picks in the upcoming draft.

3 4th's and 2 6th round picks for the losses of Martinez, Bulaga and Kyler Fackrell.

If ever there was a time to take some of those picks to pick up veterans to plug in at DE and possibly MLB'er or WR'er...I'd think now would be the time after having done little to address pressing needs in the past draft.

Now that Damon Harrison has chosen to sign with Seattle(though per GM John Schnieder it sounds like he is not close to being in game shape)...the Packers still have a hole on the DL.

Margus Hunt, a 6'8 300LB DE was just waived by the Saints. He has a history of being a really solid DL and would seem to be worth a look and would likely come cheap.

And I threw this idea into another thread, but it got swallowed up a bit, but with the Jets not competitive, I'd love to see what it'd take to try and trade for Quinnen Williams, the #3 overall pick just 2 years ago. He's playing for the worst franchise in the NFL, so questions about how effort level may be explained by that. He's a potential All Pro DE next to Kenny Clark and he's cheap. A little more of a disruptive player than a space eater who can occupy multiple blockers, but at 6'3 305, he's explosive and could completely change the look of the Packers front 7.

Given that he'd only cost about 1.4 million against the Packers cap over the next 3 years and what an elite talent he is, IF the Jets were willing to make that trade, I'd offer this years 1st and a 4th. To be able to get DE with his enormous upside and meager cap hit...I think that'd be worth it from the packers POV. Not sure if the Jets would be willing or not, but as pathetic as they look, it'd be worth asking.

Henry Anderson, a 6'6 300 DE who's a very good playing the run or even Steve McCendon are far more likely options and cheaper. I'd think we could get one of them for a mid to late round pick. Neither would likely demand more than a 5th round pick at most.

Other long shots, JJ Watt's been mentioned in some trade rumors...though I doubt the franchise would trade him at this point without anyone really running the team and him being Captain America in Houston(and he'd be expensive, though likely worth it).

On the other side of the ball, DeVante Parker has been rumored to be available(and one article had the Packers trading a 2nd for him).

He's certainly a dynamic #2 that fits what the Packers are looking for. A 6'3 220 WR'er who put up 1200 yards receiving last year for the Fins

Watt's almost certainly not going anywhere after he finally got O'Brien fired in Houston, Williams would cost a 1st round pick and then some(though WE'D only have to pay about 650K each of the next 2 years for him).

Parker may be a BIT more realistic, but I'd think the Dolphins would want someone there to catch passes when Tua finally takes over.

So I'm hoping for a Henry Anderson type addition. Pretty much anyone who can come in and displace Lancaster and be an upgrade over Lowry at this point.

Obviously the salary cap is a huge concern, but this team looks to clearly be the class of the NFC, but if they're going to get Rodgers his 2nd Ring, they need to shore up at least the Run D.

Shelby Harris, a upcoming FA and former Homestead standout is another guy on a floundering team who could be worth a late round pick.

The deadline's just over 2 weeks away. Any ideas? The Football team from Washington has two elite DT's and a guy in Tim Settle who would fit in perfectly in GB(Though the 'Bama guys would likely be costly).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Good catch on the number of draft picks for next year.

I think they need to overturn every bush in search for DL help. People complain about Lancaster and Lowry (rightfully so), but I still can't figure out how Adams continues to make the team. Who does he have pictures of??? Even a good 2 down space-eater would be an upgrade on what we have. That shouldn't be too expensive.

At WR and MLB, I'm more content with what we have. Martin will be back soon, so that should be as much of an upgrade as any trade. Perhaps with Lazard out a few more weeks we could use some help there, but I'm guessing ESB just steps in.

That was one area where Ron Wolf was really good, but no GM since has been able to come close - taking late round draft picks and filling holes with useful veterans.

Packers signed WR Kalija Lipscomb to the practice squad. Chiefs got him as an UDFA and gave him $110K guaranteed. I think he has great potential. No idea what his measurables are but his tape is impressive.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I read a story this morning that advocated for the Packers to trade Josh Jackson and a 2nd or 3rd round pick to the Dolphins for DeVante Parker. That's the kind of deal I could get behind. Parker is a stud, and signed through the 2023 season.

I see the extension he signed last year was 4 years / $40 million. I just can’t see the Packers taking on that much extra salary.

Yeah, the salary is a bit of a problem for the longer-term. Interestingly, they could hypothetically use him as a rental and flip him for picks in the offseason if they wanted. The NFL doesn’t usually work like that though. If they acquire him, it’d necessitate some serious cap work this spring.

Good catch on the number of draft picks for next year.

I think they need to overturn every bush in search for DL help. People complain about Lancaster and Lowry (rightfully so), but I still can't figure out how Adams continues to make the team. Who does he have pictures of??? Even a good 2 down space-eater would be an upgrade on what we have. That shouldn't be too expensive.

At WR and MLB, I'm more content with what we have. Martin will be back soon, so that should be as much of an upgrade as any trade. Perhaps with Lazard out a few more weeks we could use some help there, but I'm guessing ESB just steps in.

That was one area where Ron Wolf was really good, but no GM since has been able to come close - taking late round draft picks and filling holes with useful veterans.

The sad thing about Adams is he actually shows you that he can be a competent player from time to time. He's clearly more talented than Lancaster or Lowry, but most of DL is effort and his is sporadic at best.

I'd agree we really only have the one real need.

I read a story this morning that advocated for the Packers to trade Josh Jackson and a 2nd or 3rd round pick to the Dolphins for DeVante Parker. That's the kind of deal I could get behind. Parker is a stud, and signed through the 2023 season.

I see the extension he signed last year was 4 years / $40 million. I just can’t see the Packers taking on that much extra salary.

Spotrac has it at 4/30.5

That's about as good of a deal as you're going to get on a WR'er with his talent and recent production.

But they obviously don't have to pay for the signing bonus, so their "cap hit" wouldn't be as high. They could just take him on for the rest of this year and then as Peavy said deal him.

But I'm guessing IF they went to the effort of trading for him, they'd be happy to work out that cap hit.

He's 27 years old, 6'3, coming off a 1200 yard season. 4/30(or even 4/40) is a enormous bargain for a guy like him. They could just as easily extend him and cut that cap hit for next year.

I still believe the NFLPA and the Owners are going to reach some sort of agreement. I was looking at the Saints and I cannot possibly see how they'd get under 200 million next year, much less 175. Even if they cut or trade guys like Lattimore, Ramcyzk, Sanders, Jenkins, Brees...they're still like 40 over with guys who would cost more to cut than to keep(in terms of their cap).

The Packers don't have much cap space as it stands, but at least they've got options and plenty of ways to free up money.

Why would the Dolphins give him up?

I don't really know...unless he wants out or there's something going on with the team. They are in a rebuild. I'd keep him if I was Miami and had a young QB, but I saw his name, so I threw it out there.

And I threw this idea into another thread, but it got swallowed up a bit, but with the Jets not competitive, I'd love to see what it'd take to try and trade for Quinnen Williams, the #3 overall pick just 2 years ago. He's playing for the worst franchise in the NFL, so questions about how effort level may be explained by that. He's a potential All Pro DE next to Kenny Clark and he's cheap. A little more of a disruptive player than a space eater who can occupy multiple blockers, but at 6'3 305, he's explosive and could completely change the look of the Packers front 7.

Given that he'd only cost about 1.4 million against the Packers cap over the next 3 years and what an elite talent he is, IF the Jets were willing to make that trade, I'd offer this years 1st and a 4th. To be able to get DE with his enormous upside and meager cap hit...I think that'd be worth it from the packers POV. Not sure if the Jets would be willing or not, but as pathetic as they look, it'd be worth asking.

I'd hate to lose a 1st rounder for yet another interior DL. This organization has overspent, imho, of first round draft capital on interior defensive lineman. It is also my opinion that an elite MLB would help this organization more. The 2021 draft class on MLB is much improved over 2020. And the way several mocks (i know, taken with a single grain of salt) have setup seems like a run on this position isn't imminent. Elite SEC talent at the position, like Dylan Moses (Alabama) and Nick Bolton (Missouri) might very well be available at the end of the first round, or perhaps using a middle round pick to move up a few slots as the draft unfolds. In the same instance, if there is an elite MLB, tackle-machine available via trade, I would be willing to spend 1st round draft capital on that, assuming some years of control on the contract.

This organization has overspent, imho, of first round draft capital on interior defensive lineman.

Other than Kenny Clark, who has become an all-pro interior lineman, what other interior d-linemen has this organization used first round draft capital on in the past decade?

EDIT: I guess if you're still holding onto bad feelings about Justin Harrell 13+ years later, but he's literally the only example of a bad 1st rounder on the interior d-line by the Packers in the last 40 years.

This organization has overspent, imho, of first round draft capital on interior defensive lineman.

Other than Kenny Clark, who has become an all-pro interior lineman, what other interior d-linemen has this organization used first round draft capital on in the past decade?

Datone Jones was drafted as a 3-4 DE, before they figured out that he just didn't have the size to play there and take the physical pounding, which necessitated his weight loss and a move to OLB. They weren't first rounders, but Montravious Adams (3rd), Khyri Thornton (3rd), Jerel Worthy (2nd), Mike Daniels (4th) and Mike Neal (2nd) were also relatively high picks. Of course, Raji was the #9 overall selection, but that is going back 12 seasons now.

Datone Jones was drafted as a 3-4 DE, before they figured out that he just didn't have the size to play there and take the physical pounding, which necessitated his weight loss and a move to OLB. They weren't first rounders, but Montravious Adams (3rd), Khyri Thornton (3rd), Jerel Worthy (2nd), Mike Daniels (4th) and Mike Neal (2nd) were also relatively high picks. Of course, Raji was the #9 overall selection, but that is going back 12 seasons now.

Yeah, I see two guys that worked out well there (Neal & Daniels) one guy who grades out as incomplete in Adams, and flops in Thornton and Worthy. But no first rounders. :) Raji and Clark both performed at a very high level for the Packers, and I don't think the capital that was used on them can be considered wasted.

I certainly wouldn't call our DL as overspent... A 1st (Clark), 3rd (Adams), 4th (Lowry), 5th (Keke), UDFA (Lancaster) and low cost FA (Wynn) represents our current DL.

Out of curiosity, here are the other draft picks we spent in the last 5 years on DL in round 4 or earlier:

*end of message*

And here are the 5 years prior to that:

Thornton (2014 - 3rd round)

Perry (2012 - 1st): Was he a DE or OLB??? A bit of a tweener which was part of the problem.

Worthy (2012 - 2nd)

Daniels (2012 - 4th)

Neal (2010 - 2nd)

Raji (2012 - 1st)

I'd hate to lose a 1st rounder for yet another interior DL. This organization has overspent, imho, of first round draft capital on interior defensive lineman. It is also my opinion that an elite MLB would help this organization more. The 2021 draft class on MLB is much improved over 2020. And the way several mocks (i know, taken with a single grain of salt) have setup seems like a run on this position isn't imminent. Elite SEC talent at the position, like Dylan Moses (Alabama) and Nick Bolton (Missouri) might very well be available at the end of the first round, or perhaps using a middle round pick to move up a few slots as the draft unfolds. In the same instance, if there is an elite MLB, tackle-machine available via trade, I would be willing to spend 1st round draft capital on that, assuming some years of control on the contract.

I understand if people don't want to trade a 1st rounder for a DL. But hasn't Blake Martinez shown us that it's obviously not just the MLB'ers in GB? That a MLB'er can only be but so good when you have DL that is as bad as this group is at times, particularly defending the run?

Blake Martinez went from a stat stuffing MLB'er who people thought was...at best a decent player to an elite MLB'er even on a 0-5 team.

So there are quite a few MLB'ers I'd like to see the Packers draft. The kid from FSU Nasirildeen could end up being a great guy for the Packers to pick up. But the impact anyone we get is going to be marginal until we have someone better than Lancaster taking snaps.

I understand if people don't want to trade a 1st rounder for a DL. But hasn't Blake Martinez shown us that it's obviously not just the MLB'ers in GB? That a MLB'er can only be but so good when you have DL that is as bad as this group is at times, particularly defending the run?

Blake Martinez went from a stat stuffing MLB'er who people thought was...at best a decent player to an elite MLB'er even on a 0-5 team.

So there are quite a few MLB'ers I'd like to see the Packers draft. The kid from FSU Nasirildeen could end up being a great guy for the Packers to pick up. But the impact anyone we get is going to be marginal until we have someone better than Lancaster taking snaps.

Thanks for the respectful reply. I've long been unhappy taking an interior DL in the early rounds, every time it happens. Kenny Clark has worked out wonderfully. You can find successes and failures in every instance. I just don't find the overall value in modern-day football to sink tons of money and capital at the position. In the grand scheme of things, when I think, but not look, of Super Bowl Champions over the past decade, I can't picture an ELITE Nose Tackle. I'm sure one exists, it just doesn't pop to mind. When I think of Suh for example, great player, terrible human being, but where did that level of ELITE get the Lions? Yes, football is 53+ men to create success. I'm glad Clark is going to be around for a long time. I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a interior DL. I just don't.

It's just when I look at draft capital in those first few rounds of 2021, I'd rather have Dylan Moses/Tyler Shelvin Rd 1-Rd-2 than I would Quinnen Williams and Jahad Woods? I didn't and still don't consider Blake Martinez to be ELITE. We can do better than Lancaster taking snaps when Clark is injured or needs a breather, sure...but it's my opinion that it doesn't need to come at the expense of a 2021 first round pick.

Thanks for the respectful reply. I've long been unhappy taking an interior DL in the early rounds, every time it happens. Kenny Clark has worked out wonderfully. You can find successes and failures in every instance. I just don't find the overall value in modern-day football to sink tons of money and capital at the position. In the grand scheme of things, when I think, but not look, of Super Bowl Champions over the past decade, I can't picture an ELITE Nose Tackle. I'm sure one exists, it just doesn't pop to mind. When I think of Suh for example, great player, terrible human being, but where did that level of ELITE get the Lions? Yes, football is 53+ men to create success. I'm glad Clark is going to be around for a long time. I don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a interior DL. I just don't.

It's just when I look at draft capital in those first few rounds of 2021, I'd rather have Dylan Moses/Tyler Shelvin Rd 1-Rd-2 than I would Quinnen Williams and Jahad Woods? I didn't and still don't consider Blake Martinez to be ELITE. We can do better than Lancaster taking snaps when Clark is injured or needs a breather, sure...but it's my opinion that it doesn't need to come at the expense of a 2021 first round pick.

Well...you can just go back one year with Chris Jones. He was the best defender on a Chiefs team and one of the best in the league. He's not a NT, but neither is Williams as he'd a DE and would take over for Lancaster.(and I feel like you're saying NT as a blanket term for interior DL).

Two years ago you had Fletcher Cox with the Eagles. So that's 2 of the last 3. The Pats may not have had an elite DL, but they've got BB.

Aaron Donald was certainly one of the main reasons the Rams even made it to the SB.

So pretty much every team has at least one elite interior DL.

But what I really disagree with is even looking at it in those terms. Looking at teams and saying, "not many SB teams have...." can work for just about everything. How about who's the last SB team that had a real Star at MLB'er? KC didn't, SF didn't. But they DID have a dominant DL...SF had Buckner who was no small part of that that DL and Armstead would be a 3-4 DE.

I think having a dominant DL is behind QB and OL in terms of importance.

And Lancaster isn't just taking snaps because Clark's injured. He's been the starter there this year and last. He was starting last year when the Packers gave up nearly 200 yards before contact to the 49'ers.

With regard to Blake Martinez, irrespective of what you believe he is(and I'd tend to agree with you) he's playing like an elite MLB'er. That's what a very good DL can do.

If Capers was still running the D, I'd agree, you could get by with less on the DL. With DL who tried to eat up blockers. But Pettine's 3-4 is a bit different. He wants his DL getting after the QB, getting into the backfield.

Williams was the 3rd overall pick. IF we could get him for a 1st and a mid round pick, I think that's better value than we're likely to get drafting at the end of the 1st round. And...again, because the Jets guaranteed his whole contract, Williams would be just about the cheapest player on the roster.

I get the feeling that to have a truly dominant defense, you need the elite MLB (along with much else). But many defenses get buy being good without a dominant MLB. Probably why the position tends to be deprioritized.

Ray Lewis (though perhaps the best ever) was a major force for a dominant Baltimore defense and a main reason why they won the SB with Trent Dilfer. Likewise, Brian Urlacher with the Bears getting to the SB with Rex Grossman.

But run defense is always secondary to the pass, so the MLB position gets knocked down a bit - granted Urlacher was an excellent pass defender too. Kendrick on the Vikings is almost a non-entity with their terrible CBs. I'd still prioritize CBs/Pass rushers first, DL second, Safties/Coverage LBs third, and MLB last on priority. Still, if you find a Lewis or Urlacher, you don't pass them up.

Frankly, I still say the easiest way to improve our MLB play for this year is sign Clay Matthews. In the second half of his career, he was much better at MLB where he didn't have to hold the edge and fight big Tackles constantly.

Can anyone see where PFF rates Blake Martinez among MLBs this year? Much was made of our system holding him back, so I'm curious where he ranks now.

- Edit: With a little digging I found that in Blake was rated: 2018: 74.8, 2019: 57.7 and so far in 2020: 81.2.

- Edit: With a little digging I found that in Blake was rated: 2018: 74.8, 2019: 57.7 and so far in 2020: 81.2.

Your 2020 number is correct. I wanted to add a note that his run defense rating is an astounding 90.3, best overall for a LB.

Your 2020 number is correct. I wanted to add a note that his run defense rating is an astounding 90.3, best overall for a LB.

Thanks, with no subscription, I could only see the overall numbers. I pulled the previous year's numbers from various Packer News articles.

Archived