Brewer Fanatic

Rick Renteria fired

Madhawk23
Wow....this guy just needs to get out of the city of Chicago! Takes the Sox to the playoffs for the first time in a very long time, and gets the boot right afterwards. And, wasn't her the manager that got the boot so that the Cubs could bring Madden in as they started to become good? I have no idea if he's a good manager or not, but seems to get the raw deal by teams whenever they start to be on the verge of breaking through!

Wow, surprising considering their first good season in forever. Like a team did a bunch of offseason splashy type moves and it actually worked for once and the manager gets fired.

That said, I've followed them a bit more than I should due to having some pitchers in fantasy and I have certainly come away scratching my head a bunch on pitching decisions. Seems old school in his usage ideas(opposite of TB/MKE), which is bad for results and injuries. This reared it's head at the end of the year for them too, which is probably what got him axed. Still surprised by it, if that was the main issue you'd think that could be nudged along by some analytics talks with him.

I believe the thinking was that they needed a guy like a Renteria who could takes some bullets, shephard the franchise through tough times and is good with young players and development. Now, they need a guy that can take the thing next level. I would think AJ Hinch would be the logical choice assuming they believe the dust has settled there.

I'm in the Chicago area and know several White Sox fans. They all are celebrating Renteria's firing as well as Don Cooper finally being axed.

Renteria stubbornly kept penciling in an over the hill Encarnacion in the middle of their order when he had much better options at DH with either McCann or Grandal on days they weren't catching (they had a third catcher on their roster in Zach Collins). He also mishandled their pitching staff badly, once leaving Dallas Keuchel in a game they led 9-0 after 7 innings, despite the fact that Keuchel was battling back issues all year.

Sox get permission to talk to LaRussa, come on there has to be better candidates or atleast someone not 76.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30115106/chicago-white-sox-get-ok-los-angeles-angels-talk-tony-la-russa-source-says

Maybe they're just looking for someone who will teach Tim Anderson to play "the right way".

These 5 seems like great candidates instead of hiring a 76 year old (from MLB.com)

Sam Fuld: Fuld, the Phillies' director of integrative baseball performance, checks off a lot of boxes for Bloom. He is young (38), analytically-inclined, energetic and relates well to players. Fuld also played for the Rays from 2011-13 and got to know Bloom well at that time. And it can’t hurt that he is a New Englander who was born in Durham, N.H., and played high school ball for Phillips Exeter Academy.

James Rowson: This is a name you’re going to hear more about in the coming weeks and years. After leading the Twins as their hitting coach to historical power numbers in 2019, Rowson was hired by the Marlins as bench coach to go along with the unofficial title of offensive coordinator. The 44-year-old Rowson, who has an analytical foundation, oversees and puts together hitting plans and strategies used throughout Miami's organization. It seems to be a matter of when and not if he will get a chance to manage in the Majors.

Mark Kotsay: The quality-control coach for the A’s, Kotsay made a strong impression on the coaching staff and front office during his brief playing stint for the Red Sox in 2008-09. Of more recent importance, he was said to be thoroughly impressive while interviewing for the Sox, Giants, Astros and Pirates posts last winter. Kotsay has a hard-nosed personality and also embraces analytics. He would have an easy time communicating with the players.

Matt Quatraro: Here is another candidate with whom Bloom has a strong relationship. Quatraro is the bench coach for the Rays, one of the most forward-thinking organizations in the game. He was the finalist for the Pirates job and also interviewed with the Giants. Quatraro is known for having strong communication skills with players, and he has the smarts to handle the analytics-driven approach Tampa Bay deploys.

George Lombard: Here is a challenge: Find anyone in baseball who has anything negative to say about Lombard. Good luck -- it won’t happen. Lombard probably leads the baseball world in positive energy. The Dodgers' first-base coach spent enough time in the Red Sox's farm system (six years as a coach or manager) to earn many fans -- Mookie Betts foremost among them.

Sox get permission to talk to LaRussa, come on there has to be better candidates or atleast someone not 76.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30115106/chicago-white-sox-get-ok-los-angeles-angels-talk-tony-la-russa-source-says

Man, that would suck. The White Sox have been my second favorite team my whole life. This would be a tragic hire.

Man, that would suck. The White Sox have been my second favorite team my whole life. This would be a tragic hire.

Jerry Reinsdorf is loyal to the extreme, but bringing in a guy 76 years old? I don't see it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Maybe they're just looking for someone who will teach Tim Anderson to play "the right way".

[sarcasm]Well, when the unwritten rules aren't written down, where else do you get them?[/sarcasm]

Given our current environment, I'd think there would be some concern of hiring someone that is 76. Hopefully COVID doesn't impact the 2021 season, but if it does... is LaRussa going to be onsite? Would it be wise?

Archived