Brewer Fanatic

two arbitration-eligble players (including josh hader)

djoctagone

the brewers have 10 players eligible for arbitration this offseason. known 2020 salary listed in parentheses.

orlando arcia ($2.2 mm)

alex claudio ($1.75 mm)

josh hader ($4.1 mm)

ryon healy ($1 mm)

corey knebel ($5.125 mm)

omar narvaez ($2.725 mm)

jace peterson ($563,500)

manny pina ($1.85 mm)

daniel vogelbach (eligible as a "super 2" player)

brandon woodruff (eligible as a "super 2" player)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I correct that you have to offer at least 80% of the previous year's salary, so that would be about Hader's 2020 salary for Knebel? It wouldn't shock me if a number of these players are gone including one of the catchers. With Feliciano not far behind, it may be time to give Nottingham one of the MLB catching spots.

I'd offer arbitration to everyone except Claudio and Peterson. There's two issues though. For us, we probably have no budget to risk arbitration. At the same time, the players can't play hardball knowing that a crazy amount of players are going to be non-tendered, and they risk signing for much less.

Has Attanasio said much of anything of substance since Covid? Who knows what is going on with the team... might be declining most options and let arby guys go or trade for cheaper guys. I mean, he might have lost 100 million with baseball in 2020.

I hope we don't waste a million on Healy, and a half million on Peterson.

Healy never got a chance in 2020. Given the Brewers needs at corner infield spots, taking a chance on a guy that hit 62 HR in 2 1/2 seasons between 2016 and 2018 seems like a no-brainer. He'd probably take a major league contract for something less than a million. No need to offer Peterson as he'll end up on a minor league deal somewhere.

Am I jaded for having a bad gut feeling regarding Bird Dog?

Bird Dog?

corey knebel's full nickname is bird dog camera tv person.

I did not know that... :embarrassed

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 3 weeks later...

Knebel, when healthy, is a difference maker.

Knebel's salary is projected at 5 million dollars.

I don't see where they get another difference making player for the 5 million dollars. As such, I think they'll tender him.

by outrighting ryon healy today, the brewers removed an arbitration-eligible player from their roster.

but by declining ben gamel's option, they gained an arbitration-eligible player. gamel's 2020 salary (without prorating) was $1.4 mm.

• 3 weeks later...
the deadline to protect players from the rule 5 draft is friday.

will the club open up additional spots by outrighting any of the arbitration-eligible players off the 40-man ahead of that deadline?

I think Peterson is likely gone. Claudio may be as well. Every other guy on that list (sans Healy, who is already gone) is probably a lock. I think they try to deal Knebel, rather than outright him.

Hard to predict anything for next year. Hader, Woodruff are the only 100% locks to get tendered a contract. Narvaez is probably almost a lock...but never know. Who knows what they do with the filler garbage like Vogelbach/Healy/Peterson/Arcia. With the low payroll they may keep a few of those guys.

Hard to predict anything for next year. Hader, Woodruff are the only 100% locks to get tendered a contract. Narvaez is probably almost a lock...but never know. Who knows what they do with the filler garbage like Vogelbach/Healy/Peterson/Arcia. With the low payroll they may keep a few of those guys.

Vogelbach wasn't exactly garbage in a Brewer uniform. Assuming they keep the DH, he's penciled in that spot. Arcia was their best offensive player vis a vis his expectations and is still by far their best defensive infielder. Arcia had exactly one fewer extra base hits than Hiura in almost 60 fewer PA. No chance those guys get non-tendered. Peterson is a guy that they could get back for a minor league deal. If not him, there's a couple dozen similar types who'll be out there.

Woodruff and Hader are indeed the locks. One of Narvaez and Piña (Most likely Narvaez) should be almost certain. Vogelbach would seem sensible to keep if there is a DH. I expect the rest to be non-tendered, or possibly signed to cheaper deals before the deadline. I don't see the Brewers paying Arcia $3-4m or Knebel $5m.

Healy was sent to AAA and he elected minor league free agency.

My guess, they tender Hader, Woodruff, and Narvaez and maybe Pina. Unless they can reduce the salary by enough through a contract, and that has a big caveat, everyone else is traded or non-tendered. The caveat is there is a clause in the CBA that limits how much they can reduce a salary by, which is 20% of the previous year's salary or 30% of the previous 2 years' salary. So with someone like Knebel they would still have to pay ~$4M which I don't think they do. I don't remember if it was here, Twitter, or somewhere else I saw this but for Knebel to come back with a $1M salary he would have to be non-tendered and become a free agent first.

Archived