Brewer Fanatic

Shortstop Ha-Seong Kim to be Posted

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I heard SS/3B Ha-Seong Kim is going to be posted... Anyone interested in him? ;)

Ummm, isn't that what this thread is all about?

Allegedly.

But on the topic of Kim, it’d be a really fun addition and possibly the highest ceiling of a guy that could be in the Brewers price range. Who knows how the market actually plays out in the end though, of course.

We all saw first hand that an approach like the Brewers employed last year simply doesn't work. You can't plug holes with a lot of veterans who have had some good years but on the whole are cheap because they haven't produced year in and year out. Smoak? Sure he'd had some very good seasons, but he was at a point in his career where he had become a nomad. Gyorko was the only one that turned out but there's no guaranty he'll be as productive next year. Vogelbach turned out but he was a zero risk, and still young enough to establish stronger ties to this organization.

If they have some money to allocate to veteran nomads, I'd prefer they focus on Kim instead.

We all saw first hand that an approach like the Brewers employed last year simply doesn't work. You can't plug holes with a lot of veterans who have had some good years but on the whole are cheap because they haven't produced year in and year out. Smoak? Sure he'd had some very good seasons, but he was at a point in his career where he had become a nomad. Gyorko was the only one that turned out but there's no guaranty he'll be as productive next year. Vogelbach turned out but he was a zero risk, and still young enough to establish stronger ties to this organization.

If they have some money to allocate to veteran nomads, I'd prefer they focus on Kim instead.

I certainly agree that the great journeymen experiment of 2020 was a disaster. But I just can't see them even considering Kim. The estimated contract for Kim is 4/$60-65M plus an additional $12M posting fee to his old Korean team. Anything close to those numbers puts him way, way out of Stearns' reach.

I agree. I imagine even just the posting fee takes the Brewers out the picture. No fans this year, no guarantee on season this year, financial nightmare. I would expect 15mil in total given out to contracts for Milwaukee. The way they spend more is finding a team that wants Cain or Garcia without parting with money in trade.

Book it Seong-Kim will go to the Angels.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The only thing the Brewers approach in 2020 proved was that it didn't work in 2020.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

At the end of last season David Stearn’s pretty much hung out the SS position to dry, which as we know, was mostly Arcia in 2019.

I’m guessing they really didn’t want Arcia starting and probably didn’t want him on the team in all honesty. Of course the FA market didn’t work out and we simply scooped up Urias to give some competition and possibly take over.

Last year he was only slightly over $2mil, next year he will see a decent raise. If that number goes over $4mil I wonder if they may just cut bait and not have him on the team next year.

Stearns wanted Urias. He traded for him before any free agents signed with anyone. Urias had a rough year injury-wise, but I think it's pretty foolish to dismiss him given his age and track record.

At the end of last season David Stearn’s pretty much hung out the SS position to dry, which as we know, was mostly Arcia in 2019.

I’m guessing they really didn’t want Arcia starting and probably didn’t want him on the team in all honesty. Of course the FA market didn’t work out and we simply scooped up Urias to give some competition and possibly take over.

Last year he was only slightly over $2mil, next year he will see a decent raise. If that number goes over $4mil I wonder if they may just cut bait and not have him on the team next year.

Stearns wanted Urias. He traded for him before any free agents signed with anyone. Urias had a rough year injury-wise, but I think it's pretty foolish to dismiss him given his age and track record.

Urias had two very good offensive years at El Paso in a good hitters environment. But he hasn't done much of anything in over 400 major league PA and this season Arcia was by far the better offensive player and I'd take Arcia's defense at SS over Urias. It's too early to give up on him, but he hasn't shown enough to hand him a job either. The ideal situation is that he suddenly finds his AAA form and he becomes an option at 3B.

The ideal situation to me is that he proves he can handle shortstop and Arcia gets out of my life once and for all.

3B of course is still a problem, but I'd like to think they can find a 3B better than Arcia.

I won't hold my breath. Urias found a way to be worse than Arcia...something that is almost impossible to do. I wouldn't be surprised if they just dumped Arcia and gave Urais the job, but that is only because Arcia is so bad there is little risk of actually making the team worse. At least it saves money and we aren't continuously handing an MLB contract to one of the worst players in baseball.

FanGraphs provided the ZiPS projections for Ha-Seong Kim a few weeks ago if anyone is interested: Ha-seong Kim Has Big MLB Aspirations and Projections

Also, today FanGraphs released their 2021 Top 50 Free Agents list and Kim’s projected contract per Craig Edwards was 5 years for $60 million ($12 million AAV). He also estimated a posting fee of around $10 million. So a total estimated commitment of $70 million to land Kim. Sounds like some think Kim will be better suited for 3B in MLB (a position he has also played in KBO).

I know it’s not likely an option for the Brewers, but if Kim realizes his ZiPS projections then he would certainly be worth the money.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Brewers did slash about $18 million from their payroll today by declining the options on Braun, Gyorko and Sogard. They could also save some more money by non-tendering guys like Knebel and Arcia. So if they are high on Kim they could make the money work and it would fill a big need at 3B.

The Brewers did slash about $18 million from their payroll today by declining the options on Braun, Gyorko and Sogard. They could also save some more money by non-tendering guys like Knebel and Arcia. So if they are high on Kim they could make the money work and it would fill a big need at 3B.

Lowest estimate I've seen for Kim would be an initial payout of at least $22M ($12M salary and $10M posting fee. The highest I've seen is $15M plus $12M posting fee). Either way he's way out of Stearns' reach. Remember the Brewers still have arby settlements and even if they do get Kim and he plays SS, they still have monsterous holes at 1B and 3B.

So you want to break the bank for a SS, then move him to 3B?

This is way too risky for a team like the Brewers in so many ways. If we were going to spend that kind of cash, I'd rather it be for a proven guy who is actually a 3B.

A move like this could handcuff us for years if it doesn't pay off.

There is just no way for us to know what we were getting until he suits up.

If spending, it should be for a 1B, 3B, or starting pitcher, not an unknown guy who has played in a league eqaul to AA.

Hard pass.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 3 weeks later...

Per Jon Morosi...

NEWS: Ha-seong Kim, one of the top position players in Korea, will be posted tomorrow. The Blue Jays are among the teams that have evaluated him closely prior to the posting process, source says.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived