Brewer Fanatic

Shortstop Ha-Seong Kim to be Posted

I stand corrected, since 2019...

SS Orlando Arcia: The Brewers had Arcia on the trade market all offseason and again at the Aug. 31 deadline.... Journal Sentinel

Craig Counsell insinuated that Luis Urias was the shortstop of the future in September (in bold below).

This is an excerpt from the Milwaukee-Journal Sentinel article on September 9th and includes the following quotes from Counsell:

"He’s played well defensively," manager Craig Counsell said. "Probably shortstop is the position he’s played the most and is most comfortable at. Our starters are as ground-ball oriented as any rotation in the big leagues, so good defense from our infield is really critical to us having success and I think Luis has been playing really nice defense."

Counsell went on to say, "he’s a shortstop, and ultimately I think that’s where you’ll see him in the future, is shortstop."

It seems like the writing is on the wall a bit for Arcia’s future with the team. I do think Arcia showed real improvements this year which could certainly continue to trend in the right direction, but I don’t get the sense that opportunity will come with the Brewers. I’m fine with it because I don’t think you can start the 2021 season with both Arcia and Urias filling starting infield positions.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of last season David Stearn’s pretty much hung out the SS position to dry, which as we know, was mostly Arcia in 2019.

I’m guessing they really didn’t want Arcia starting and probably didn’t want him on the team in all honesty. Of course the FA market didn’t work out and we simply scooped up Urias to give some competition and possibly take over.

Last year he was only slightly over $2mil, next year he will see a decent raise. If that number goes over $4mil I wonder if they may just cut bait and not have him on the team next year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Regardless of current talent on the roster, if you can "buy" a top-100 prospect I think you have to try. We emptied the farm with trades over the last few years and this is one way to buy a 1st round draft pick. And one that is less risk since he would be already at AA or AAA equivalent competition.

So, do we have any inkling as to what it would take to sign this Kim guy? I'm sure it is very unlikely that we'll get involved, but just curious as to what we think it would take? Seems likely that an Arcia trade could be likely this winter. But, you'd then have Urias filling in at SS. In an ideal world, you'd sign Kim, move Urias to 2B and then have Hiura in the DH role (or maybe have him work some at 1B this winter so that he can become more versatile).

So, do we have any inkling as to what it would take to sign this Kim guy? I'm sure it is very unlikely that we'll get involved, but just curious as to what we think it would take? Seems likely that an Arcia trade could be likely this winter. But, you'd then have Urias filling in at SS. In an ideal world, you'd sign Kim, move Urias to 2B and then have Hiura in the DH role (or maybe have him work some at 1B this winter so that he can become more versatile).

I wouldn't mind Urias at 2B with Kim at SS but that still leaves a hole at 3B. I would assume Kim would eat up all of what you get in savings for trading away Arcia or even just dropping Arcia. Assuming Arcia gets traded or released that is about $4m in savings for the Brewers. I am going to assume Kim will get more than $4m and put his figure at a maximum of $15m a season and the minimum at $9m a season. So he should get something like 5-years $60-75m. I don't believe he will get more than that less is possible but definitely not more. I think Kim might be the whole off season budget assuming the Brewers keep Hader and reduce payroll. If the Brewers trade Hader there is probably enough room in the free agency budget to get Kim and Profar maybe even LaStella depending on the market for LaStella. I believe LaStella gets a nice contract this offseason around $10-15m a year.

I wouldn't mind Urias at 2B with Kim at SS but that still leaves a hole at 3B. I would assume Kim would eat up all of what you get in savings for trading away Arcia or even just dropping Arcia. Assuming Arcia gets traded or released that is about $4m in savings for the Brewers. I am going to assume Kim will get more than $4m and put his figure at a maximum of $15m a season and the minimum at $9m a season. So he should get something like 5-years $60-75m. I don't believe he will get more than that less is possible but definitely not more. I think Kim might be the whole off season budget assuming the Brewers keep Hader and reduce payroll. If the Brewers trade Hader there is probably enough room in the free agency budget to get Kim and Profar maybe even LaStella depending on the market for LaStella. I believe LaStella gets a nice contract this offseason around $10-15m a year.

I don't know why you keep pushing Profar and there is no way we should ever pay LaStella 10 million or more per season.

I don't know why you keep pushing Profar and there is no way we should ever pay LaStella 10 million or more per season.

Because Profar is a good target for the Brewers and he fits the Stearns mold of players he goes after.

Profar is a switch hitter that has a strikeout rate among the very best in the league, can play all of the infield positions as well as the corner outfield, and is at the peak of the aging curve where plenty of players have their career years. If they could get him on a short-term deal then Jurickson Profar isn’t a bad gamble. I’d certainly rather have him on the roster than Gamel next year.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Profar is a switch hitter that has a strikeout rate among the very best in the league, can play all of the infield positions as well as the corner outfield, and is at the peak of the aging curve where plenty of players have their career years. If they could get him on a short-term deal then Jurickson Profar isn’t a bad gamble. I’d certainly rather have him on the roster than Gamel next year.

Profar is a .238/.317 career player who played well in a shortened season. He projects to be more expensive than LaStella if you are using 2020 numbers. He is way too expensive for what he brings to the table for a team strapped for cash. Stearns can't afford even one flyer if payroll is being cut, and Profar would be a huge gamble.

How in the world do you believe the Brewers could sign Kim ($approx $65M PLUS about $11M in fees to the Korean team)? Then you think there would be room for Profar and LaStella too? The Crew is likely cutting payroll and probably won't have room to aquire any of those guys if their salary demands go beyond the $7-8M range.

How in the world do you believe the Brewers could sign Kim ($approx $65M PLUS about $11M in fees to the Korean team)? Then you think there would be room for Profar and LaStella too? The Crew is likely cutting payroll and probably won't have room to aquire any of those guys if their salary demands go beyond the $7-8M range.

Because I am using Hader's future arbitration numbers to be replaced by LaStella's and Profar's.

Who would you rather have, Ben Gamel for 2 mllion or Profar for at least 8 million?

Who would you rather have, Ben Gamel for 2 mllion or Profar for at least 8 million?

Gamel 2018-20: 255/344/377 (95 wRC+) 26.4 K% (-1.3 BsR)

Profar 2018-20: 243/323/434 (101 wRC+) 14.5 K% (+8.5 BsR)

For me the switch hitting, positional versatility, contact ability & superior baserunning are worth an extra 6-7 million.

For me the switch hitting, positional versatility, contact ability & superior baserunning are worth an extra 6-7 million.

When you're a cash strapped team you can't afford the extra $6-7M luxury. Yes Profar offers a little more than Gamel, but not enough to justify the money on a team looking to cut payroll.

Judging by our luck with SS prospects in the Top 100 (or former) this century I think we should just sign a veteran to man the position...I think we are just cursed at this point.

Turang=Trea Turner but healthy!

Book it. Now...we just need to keep him off the top 100 lists.

(Ok, maybe not quite a healthy Trea Turner, but I think he's gonna be really good and a ideal leadoff hitter a few years down the road).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

When you're a cash strapped team you can't afford the extra $6-7M luxury. Yes Profar offers a little more than Gamel, but not enough to justify the money on a team looking to cut payroll.

Not based on past performance, but obviously if you believe Profar can still get better or play for a full season like he did in this past abbreviated season...then he's certainly worth it.

Switch hitter who was equally good from both sides this past year and can play every position aside from catcher.

Not arguing we should sign him as I really didn't watch him play much...and even if I had this past year, I don't have a large frame of reference to compare it to his past to see if he actually looks different, but if Stearns believes at 27, he still has upside, it's worth the risk.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Cash strapped as they are, the Brewers will still probably sign a couple two tree free agents this offseason.

Given Stearns & company's affinity for flexibility, the possibility Profar still has some upside as a former top prospect hitting FA at a relatively young age & the likelihood he won't break the bank, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jurickson ends up being one of them.

Position versatility isn't exactly always a compliment. I know I have said it previously, but Profar really isn't versatile. He has played a bunch of positions (including the OF) because he is a poor defender...not because he is good.

He wouldn't be a terrible add, but we aren't grabbing him to play 3B or 2B a bunch. You could sneak him there occasionally, but you are asking for some truly horrid defense with him and Hiura on the field at the same time. He could be used at 1B/2B and then some LF, which would give him quite a few ABs in a full year. He can bat lefty so he would make some sense platooning a bit with Hiura. The only problem with that is you are then having absolutely terrible defense at 2B 24/7. He has barely played any RF/CF in his career so I am not sure how dependable he would be in that role. Guessing we would still need a more true OFer.

Guessing we would still need a more true OFer.

Maybe Grisham will be available.

Maybe they would be dumb enough to trade us Grisham/Davies as a package deal...we could use the reliable mid-rotation arm instead of back end filler like Eric Lauer.

Archived