Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Instructional League Roster

Mass Haas

Of the catching prospects that were part of the 60-man player pool (Feliciano, Henry, Dillard), only Thomas Dillard will also be appearing at instructs. Guessing they wanted to give those other two a break, while Dillard is someone they are trying to develop as a switch hitting bat in addition to a catcher.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

That’s a great question regarding Max Lazar. He was one of only a small group of pitchers that spent the offseason at the Maryvale complex including working in the pitching lab. It’s hard to believe they wouldn’t have included him in either Camp Appleton or the Instructional League. It’s probably reckless to speculate too much, but it does seem likely there’s more to the story.

I imagine that Freddy Zamora must be entering the final phases of his rehab from ACL surgery if he had it in late February/early March. Understandable that he isn't on the instruct league roster, as it's typically optimistically a 9-month rehab, but I wonder if they'll be able to get him any action this winter prior to camps opening?

Hitting-wise I guess Devanney opened some eyes in 2019 getting a spot over Valerio and the two touted infield UDFA signings from this year. Good for him. I would have expected Ward and Nnebe to be there in the outfield, but if it is space-limited, the current group makes sense.

Pitching is interesting both for who isn't there like Lazar, Olson, Walters and the group who missed 2019 (Lemons, Murphy, Beasley, Zhao) and who is. I guess maybe this is a sign Uribe, Garcia, Perez, Reifert and Mejia are worth watching given the large number of pitchers who didn't get invites.

So, do we know if the team is going to send out any updates on these games? I know the Brewers Player Development twitter account has always sent out minor league ST games in past years, so it would be great if they would do the same for any of these instructional games. I'm sure many of you are like me and would love to at least get some small nuggets from each of these games being played down there.

Rosiak has some early reports

Love to see the reports from Flanagan. Am I the only one thinking that the Brewers are wasting an opportunity to provide some game updates on their PD twitter account during these instructional games? Would love to get some daily updates on how some of our prospects are looking.

And, regarding Vassalotti - why did I think he was more of a soft tosser? Or, was he before - and all of a sudden he found 4-6 MPH on that FB? I know he was a guy I was intrigued about a couple of years ago when we first signed him, but he really struggled the past couple of years.

1. Good to hear on Gray and Bello. Was afraid this year could be really detrimental to some of young upside guys.

2. Hopefully this is a prelude to Vassalotti making a big leap next year.

3. You know how when someone is really excited about something they work it into conversations about other things? I think the Brewers are getting that way about Kelly.

No doubt - love to hear that on Gray and Bellow, especially with Gray. Would be huge if we see those guys take a big step next year and cement themselves as legit prospects.

And, I hear you on Kelly. It's very clear that he really turned some big heads up in Appleton this summer. Really excited about him.

I know our farm system isn't highly thought of right now, but if a handful of these guys take that big step up next year when minor league baseball starts up again, that narrative might change a bit.

One name I'm missing there is Max Lazar. Can't find that he was added to the alternate site either, so is he missing through injury?

Not great at doing links on my phone, but per Rosiak’s Twitter reply it sounds like Lazar is healthy and at the facility. Working to increase velocity? Or maybe org just thought other pitchers needed the game action more?

MLB Pipeline with some updates on Instructs here

Some great tidbits in here on some of the top guys but also some of the under the radar guys that are showing some things.

Truthfully, given how little the Brewers have invested in Latin American pitching signings, even one of Vassalotti, Uribe or Ramirez turning into a decent reliever would have to be considered a big win from a scouting/development perspective.

• 3 weeks later...

Because prospect fans are hungry for any tidbit of farmhand news, a couple of Spanish-language articles -- Google translate assisted with the italicized text:

Now 18-years-old, 2018 Brewers signing ($1.1 million out of Colombia, one of that country's largest bonuses ever) 3B/SS Branlyn Jaraba was at instructional camp.

Now that camp is complete, in this article, Jaraba's Colombian winter ball situation is discussed, as he's being prevented from playing:

With just a few weeks to go before a new season in Colombian professional baseball begins, Tigres de Cartagena, has news, but not exactly in terms of sport. Now everything is about a resolution that the Cartagena team took out where it does not allow several players to play for this season that is coming. Everything stems from the events recorded last year when these same players refused to play due to lack of payments.

On 12/5/19 and 12/6/19 there were games but the players did not appear for the competition. The pending payment that should occur on November 30 was informed that same day after the game in the Municipality of Turbaco, which was the alternate headquarters of the team, that the payment would be made on December 5 since the resources had to be turned over from the United States, but no player wanted to wait and they opted in a one-man manner to withdraw from the tournament, damaging the club and the championship in general and disappointing the fans. Due to the seriousness of the events, the suspension of the aforementioned players must be imposed as a sports sanction so that they cannot act during the 2020-2021 season with our Professional baseball club LOS TIGRES S.A. nor in any other club in competition in the Colombian Professional Baseball championship under any contractual modality, extending the sanction of prohibition to compete in any of the teams of the Winter Leagues affiliated to the Caribbean Professional Baseball confederation with active or passive membership, according to the current regulation of the Winter League agreement ”, this is stated in some sections of said resolution.

Faced with the aforementioned resolution, Branlyn Jaraba, one of the players involved and who acted through his legal representative, Senen Jaraba (father), established a legal action against the Tigres and Diprobeisbol team (Professional Baseball Division).

"Admit the tutela action instituted against" Los Tigres S.A. and Diprobeisbol for the alleged violation of their fundamental right to due process, good name, information, to life, to the minimum vital and to work ”, it reads in a part of said protection that in the next few days its ruling will be known by the judge in charge.

This type of inconvenience creates, once again, uncertainty within the ninth of Cartagena.

In another recent article, 6'6" LH-swinging 1B Ernesto Martinez ($800,000 bonus in 2017) is highlighted in a lengthy profile piece.

The Cuban native, now 21 years old, signed out of the Dominican Republic with ties to France through his father's heritage (yes, Ernesto speaks French as well). Martinez had a solid .802 OPS at Rocky Mountain in 2019, and talks about his initial struggles transitioning to Maryvale from the Dominican Summer League.

Before his professional contract, Martínez was about to start his path in baseball in the United States as a pitcher, he was already in that country when an injury to his pitching arm forced him to leave that role to then start the search for the contract as batter in the Dominican Republic.

Just when all hope seemed lost, the signature arrived, or as he himself has called it, a magical opportunity. «I cried a lot because I was very desperate, I no longer wanted to sign, until in a clash that they prepared for Cubans and Dominicans I shone; There were the Dodgers, Brewers, White Sox, the Yankees offered me 1.5 million if I waited until Friday but they had offered Luis Robert 22 million and if they signed him they wouldn't sign me; then the Brewers made me an offer of 850,000 plus the school opportunity and I had until Thursday to respond and I decided on their proposal, since it is an organization to raise much easier than the Yankees.

He acknowledges that it has not been an easy adaptation to baseball in the United States, everything was different for him than those he had previously faced. «It is not the same baseball, the preparation, the people, the serious work, it is not entertainment, it is the work that you like, but not to entertain you, punctuality, everything impacted me, the level of demand is like being on another level , I felt like a stranger in my first year in the United States that went very badly for me.

There are already three seasons in which he has gone through the Minor League system; In 2019 he showed his best records playing for the Rocky Mountain Vibes within the Pioneer League despite the injuries that were afflicting him and not being able to stabilize his game, at the end of the season came his offensive awakening, in which he considers the beginning of his maturity as an athlete.

"I think I have already found the solution to increase my offense, I just have to continue implementing it in training, but I feel that I am at an optimal level."

After a 2020 in which he could not show this growth due to the cancellation of the Minor Leagues, the young man is focused for the next season.

"I am training with the national team in the south of France my old school, old teachers, for next season, God bless me, let's hope that the Coronavirus allows us to play, because I don't know what will happen to the Minor League players" .

Listed as a timely and strong hitting player, above presenting a high average, in addition to his defensive contribution in the initial thanks to his size, Martínez feels that he can contribute beyond those qualities with his positive energy within the team where perform.

Could it ever be the national team?

"The day I have to represent Cuba, I represent it without problems."

It's apparently behind a Baseball America paywall, but did anyone see the tweet that Aaron Ashby was one of the guys that made the most "noise" across all instructs this fall? I have no ideal how many guys they had on their list, but it's at least encouraging to hear some positive reports about that kid. I love the updates from Flanagan, but I feel like they carry a bit more weight when you hear positive reviews on our prospects from outside sources.

It's apparently behind a Baseball America paywall, but did anyone see the tweet that Aaron Ashby was one of the guys that made the most "noise" across all instructs this fall? I have no ideal how many guys they had on their list, but it's at least encouraging to hear some positive reports about that kid. I love the updates from Flanagan, but I feel like they carry a bit more weight when you hear positive reviews on our prospects from outside sources.

It said that Ashby scuffled a bit at the alternate site in Appleton (he was a late arrival), but at instructs he was the Brewers best pitcher. It said his fastball was 95 mph and both of his breaking pitches earned plus grades. Also said he threw enough strikes that he's projected to be an impact lefthander who could move through the system quickly next season.

It said that Ashby scuffled a bit at the alternate site in Appleton (he was a late arrival), but at instructs he was the Brewers best pitcher. It said his fastball was 95 mph and both of his breaking pitches earned plus grades. Also said he threw enough strikes that he's projected to be an impact lefthander who could move through the system quickly next season.

WOW.....that might be one of the most exciting bits of news we get on the Brewers all winter! Really nice to hear that he stood out down there. We need some of these younger prospects in our system to emerge here, and Ashby is one of those guys that I was hoping would do just that.

Because prospect fans are hungry for any tidbit of farmhand news, a Spanish-language article -- Google translate assisted with the italicized text:

Now 18-years-old, 2018 Brewers signing ($1.1 million out of Colombia, one of that country's largest bonuses ever) 3B/SS Branlyn Jaraba was at instructional camp.

Now that camp is complete, in this article, Jaraba's Colombian winter ball situation is discussed, as he's being prevented from playing:

With just a few weeks to go before a new season in Colombian professional baseball begins, Tigres de Cartagena, has news, but not exactly in terms of sport. Now everything is about a resolution that the Cartagena team took out where it does not allow several players to play for this season that is coming. Everything stems from the events recorded last year when these same players refused to play due to lack of payments.

On 12/5/19 and 12/6/19 there were games but the players did not appear for the competition. The pending payment that should occur on November 30 was informed that same day after the game in the Municipality of Turbaco, which was the alternate headquarters of the team, that the payment would be made on December 5 since the resources had to be turned over from the United States, but no player wanted to wait and they opted in a one-man manner to withdraw from the tournament, damaging the club and the championship in general and disappointing the fans. Due to the seriousness of the events, the suspension of the aforementioned players must be imposed as a sports sanction so that they cannot act during the 2020-2021 season with our Professional baseball club LOS TIGRES S.A. nor in any other club in competition in the Colombian Professional Baseball championship under any contractual modality, extending the sanction of prohibition to compete in any of the teams of the Winter Leagues affiliated to the Caribbean Professional Baseball confederation with active or passive membership, according to the current regulation of the Winter League agreement ”, this is stated in some sections of said resolution.

Faced with the aforementioned resolution, Branlyn Jaraba, one of the players involved and who acted through his legal representative, Senen Jaraba (father), established a legal action against the Tigres and Diprobeisbol team (Professional Baseball Division).

"Admit the tutela action instituted against" Los Tigres S.A. and Diprobeisbol for the alleged violation of their fundamental right to due process, good name, information, to life, to the minimum vital and to work ”, it reads in a part of said protection that in the next few days its ruling will be known by the judge in charge.

This type of inconvenience creates, once again, uncertainty within the ninth of Cartagena.

UPDATE: As per this tweet, Jaraba's court filing was denied. It would not appear he'll be playing winter ball in his native Colombia in 2020-2021.

Archived