Brewer Fanatic

OT RIP Bob Gibson

markedman5

My favorite pitcher growing up........I was. Cards fan after the Braves bolted and before the Brewers arrived. This quote makes me laugh.....especially the Gold Glove boxer part .....

"(Hank Aaron told me) 'Don't dig in against Bob Gibson, he'll knock you down. He'd knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don't stare at him, don't smile at him, don't talk to him. He doesn't like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don't run too slow, don't run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don't charge the mound, because he's a Gold Glove boxer.' I'm like, 'Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?' That was the night it ended."

—Dusty Baker[82

He also was a great basketball player.......played fir the Globetrotters for a little while before committing to baseball full time.

For those not old enough to have seen him pitch......after his 1968 season......1.12 era......they lowered the mound. That was the year of the pitcher......Denny McClain won 30 games.....Drysdale had the scoreless inning streak......

My favorite point that I heard about last night came from Bob Costas and Harold Reynolds on "MLB Tonight," mentioning how Bob Gibson had an enormous and elaborate electric train set that went all over his house. They said that Gibson's setup put pretty much every electric train set-up in stores and museums to shame.

I thought that was awesome!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived